Author Topic: B-2 question  (Read 407 times)

Offline Greese

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/greese125
B-2 question
« on: October 08, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Is it possible the B-2 can almost go into orbit, in order to reach targets fast?  The press was saying that B-2's were taking off from missouri to hit afghanistan, and the only way that makes sense to me is if the B-2 gets to the target a lot faster than we think.  It seems to me that perhaps the SR-71 may have had this capability too, but I know nothing, only having fun thinking about it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
B-2 question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
B2 is a sub-sonic bomber with mid to high altitude capability and goes I believe 6000 miles without refueling, tac on another 4000 if refueled.  Cruising speed is similiar to a passenger Jet airliner.

Here's some more info:

n the conventional role, the B-2 will operate with far less support aircraft than other bombers require.
                       That means fewer pilots and aircraft put in harm's way. Its long range will enable it to strike targets all
                       over the world from bases in the United States. With its large payload, it will be able to attack eight
                       times as many targets on each mission as the stealthy F-117 strike fighter. With the proliferation of
                       modern radar-guided air defenses throughout the world, non-stealthy aircraft will face increasing
                       difficulty accomplishing their missions. The B-2's low-observable characteristics will enable it to defeat
                       those defenses, attack the full spectrum of enemy targets and return to base safely.

Developing and Building the B-2
                       The B-2 design had to meet a number of potentially conflicting requirements. Aerodynamic and
                       structural challenges of the long-range, large-payload bomber had to be overcome while at the same
                       time minimizing all low-observable characteristics of the aircraft. Ease of maintenance and
                       deployability also are important. In addition, the aircraft must be able to communicate, detect targets,
                       navigate and perform other functions without revealing its location.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline indian

• Copper Member
B-2 question
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
The B2 made a 33 hour round trip! They prarice this in simulators before the do it for real. Remember only two on board this big thing. I believe the pentagon is saying they refueled 3 times for this mission.  :cool:

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
B-2 question
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2001, 11:48:00 AM »
Saw some B1B from Diego Garcia joined too.

That's a hot lookin' babe too  :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
B-2 question
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2001, 11:59:00 AM »
Saw you gotta see a B-1B at an airshow someday.   :)
My favorite maneuver is the 550 mph flyby just above the runway, full afterburner.   :D

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
B-2 question
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
In 1981, they had a bunch of us Jig Builders working on this huge, freshing machined (but rough cut) jig that looked like a huge bat wing (1/2 half the wing)...we were not told what it was, nor given a designated part number other than "581" . Today everyone knows what "581" is at Boeing, but back then, there was only a handful of folks that were on the project, and many (like me) had no clue to what were were building.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
B-2 question
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2001, 12:13:00 PM »
yup, the B1 is one big sexy squeak.  I was at an airshow where the B1 did some high speed fly-bys, fantastic.  There was also one on static display, the damn thing is airliner huge.  When the T-Birds started flying, I wanted them to go away and bring back the B1's.

F<  :mad:

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
B-2 question
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2001, 12:15:00 PM »
Rip, at about the same time, my former employer was contracted by Boeing to build something called the "Target Industries Cargo Door System" which was a shaft-driven hydraulic-powered actuation system for two pairs of rather large fast-opening doors.   :D

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
B-2 question
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
The long flights are not out of the norm for the heavy bombers.  B-52s have done this for some time.  Imagine trying to do it with an F-111 though... no getting up and stretching your legs there.  Still just a tad bit at a couple nations for that one.

As for the B-1B, their first deployment was to Mt Home AFB in Idaho.  They are pretty cool when low and fast... even better looking at dusk.  Though.. their 4 ABs don't hold a candle to the two on the SR-71 :D  Also got to see one nearlly plant his wing in the ground on takeoff.  I bet there was an instructor wishing he had some depends on that flight.

AKDejaVu

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
B-2 question
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by funkedup:
Rip, at about the same time, my former employer was contracted by Boeing to build something called the "Target Industries Cargo Door System" which was a shaft-driven hydraulic-powered actuation system for two pairs of rather large fast-opening doors.    :D

Hehehehe!

Offline LtHans

• Nickel Member
B-2 question
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2001, 03:26:00 AM »
I wonder what is currently classified myself.  That hydrogen fuel near-space plane.  NASA has a half size robot one flying already, so the concept isn't fantasy.

Still, my guess is the next procurement session will focus on long range, light bombers.  Uber-tech may not be directed towards performance, just performance we already have at a lower cost.  We don't seem to be after any first rate nations anymore so we don't need to out perform them, just reach them from safe distances.

Hans.