Author Topic: Special features of the Karelia  (Read 1737 times)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Special features of the Karelia
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:33:18 AM »
CAPTURING THE BASES

The houses in V-bases and in a-base towns are civilian buildings. Their destruction is no good for base capture reasons.

Instead you have to destroy all the entrenched tents nearby the map room. Note: Not the normal tents(=troops). Notice that you have to destroy both the dug-in and the tent. These object pairs are in groups of 4 and there are 3 groups. That means 24 "town objects" in total.

A SPECIAL V-BASE VIIPURI

Also notice that in V55 there is no map room in the normal place.. there is just one puffy ack.

The V55 map room is between the long park and the castle in Viipuri city, just on the NW corner of teh park.. on a market place. Those of you who have ever been to Viipuri will know the place as the "Round tower". ;)

RADAR

Radar system is exceptional in this terrain. Most of the airfields and vehicle fields have several wooden "air surveillance towers" around them.

The radar circles from these towers are set to 5 miles diameter and they are describing the visual perception.

Sector counters are set to 10 miles diameter from the radar towers and they are describing the auditory perception.

Base warning flash is set to about 3 miles diameter because of this special air surveillance system.

BOMBER AND FIGHTER HANGARS

There are any "normal" hangar buidings in the airfields. Karelia's hangars are plane dugouts or shelters:

There are on the average 12 fighter shelters and 4 bomber shelters on the airfields. You must destroy them all if you want that any aircraft can not  take off from that field!

THE BACKWOODS AIRFIELDS

Here's the "common" airfield type. You can copy this bmp-map to your "HTC/Aces High II/maps" folder and use it as a clipboard map:

There are also two historical airfields now: A23 Suulajärvi and A84 Taipalsaari. They are made using the old aerial photos and airfield maps.

Next update which is coming out on March contains about 20 new historical airfields. The work is just now under process...  ;)

I post later the town and v-base clipboard maps here!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 07:36:57 AM by kanttori »
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline Loddar

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:58:46 AM »
Impressive :O

Let's let that look to all maps in AH. :aok

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:00:47 AM »
Indeed.  The level of detail is absolutely amazing.  I've only just begun fiddling with the TE, and I cant imagine how many mind-numbing hours were spent getting all those details placed.  Two things are obvious about a map this detailed.

1.  It was a group effort.  Any one person would have gone mad long ago.

2.  It was a labor of love.  Incredible work and a big thank you to all of you who worked on it or are still working on it.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 02:09:14 PM »
The map is absolutely stunning in its detail. Its also absolutely horrible for frame rate. Its even worse than Okinawa, which was the previous worst FR killer.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 04:09:10 PM »
Very cool map guys.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:41:43 PM »
Ahhhh... no WONDER!!!!

***THAT*** explains how to take a field... I was playing around and couldn't figure it out :P

Re: V55, is it feasible to capture this field at all? Do you have to flatten that entire city to take the field? How much ack is directly around that map room, in the city?

Oh, and any more AH2 maps like the one you just posted would be wonderful! I've saved it as you suggested, no doubt I will need to consult it often.

As a general comment: If there are 12 FH at a field (WOW!) you might want to reduce the lbs or ord it takes to kill one. Even the largest field in AH has only 7 FH, so say halve the lbs ord for this setup only. Just a thought.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 06:20:29 PM »
We try to add more realism to the game with this terrain. Many fighter and bomber dugouts are closer to the real war in the Finnish-Russian front. It is more realistic that you must destroy many aircrafts or plane dugouts on the airfield as that you bomb down only 2-4 hangars and no-one can then take off from there...

The bombers and fighters were decentralized all around the field, not to the same place under the one or two big hangars. Also fuel tanks and ammo trucks are hidden here and there in the forestes around the backwoods airifield.

Those sheltered tents are as crew's wooden living dugouts which were typical in this front.

We can decrease the hangar's hardness, I inform Panzzer who is hosting this setup! :)

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 06:26:41 PM »
We forgot the invisible runaway under the town object so landing there is always "Ditched". You must drive to the airfield and land there until we repair this to the update which is coming soon.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 10:51:45 PM »
This map is beautiful..its the first AH map Ive thought that was.

~AoM~

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:19:44 PM »
a lot going on in this map...rats, showed up when it was empty of pple.

Try again tomorrow nite:confused:

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 11:50:34 PM »
please, PLEASE, PLEASE .......

....never change the AvA map again, seriously, this one is the only map i want to play on ever again. ever.

please.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 12:28:10 AM »
Hey Kanttori, if you're making bug fixes can I make a suggestion?

I think the tank trenches need to be wider, BUT, I'd also like to be able to climb out of them while in a tank. To go OVER them, as it were. Tanks in real life could climb right out of there entrenchments, they could cover very bumpy and steep terrain, which is why they have treads instead of wheels.

Perhaps making the inside of the tank trenches slope just enough to allow tanks to roll out of them, so that the trench is there to protect the tank from incoming shells, but not enough to totally trap the folks inside the trench.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 01:28:22 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
As a general comment: If there are 12 FH at a field (WOW!) you might want to reduce the lbs or ord it takes to kill one. Even the largest field in AH has only 7 FH, so say halve the lbs ord for this setup only. Just a thought.
That's a good point. I didn't realize that there are that many hangars on a field... I'll check the hardness of the hangars when I get around to it... How does half of the usual FH hardness sound?
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 02:40:12 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Hey Kanttori, if you're making bug fixes can I make a suggestion?

I think the tank trenches need to be wider, BUT, I'd also like to be able to climb out of them while in a tank. To go OVER them, as it were. Tanks in real life could climb right out of there entrenchments, they could cover very bumpy and steep terrain, which is why they have treads instead of wheels.

Perhaps making the inside of the tank trenches slope just enough to allow tanks to roll out of them, so that the trench is there to protect the tank from incoming shells, but not enough to totally trap the folks inside the trench.

all they need is a ramp at some point wide enough for a tiger.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 03:58:11 AM »
Its really nice to see the small details on this map...

One example is the city of Virpiruauiasu (what ever its called) near V55.

If you fly over it you will see that there is a rail road track in the town and that there is a bridge going over the railway...

This is what makes this map so amazing... the little little details...

Tex