Author Topic: 2006: The year GM loses top spot.  (Read 2591 times)

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
2006: The year GM loses top spot.
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2006, 01:39:02 PM »
Somebody said on page 1 of this thread that they were looking at the Highlander hybrid. Not a particularly good choice. It's a V6 hybrid, and you're gonna pay quite a bit more to get the same mileage, and nearly identical performance, for an overall higher cost of ownership in the long-term. For the Lexus version, same platform, just add $10k for a different badge on the front. The V6 Accord Hybrid has the same pitfalls.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2006, 01:43:03 PM »
"these are important on our wet and winding roads..."

They're also handy features on Ohio's broken and slushy winter roads.  When there's a foot of half-melted slush on the road, the Buick takes some coaxing to get it to move, and a bit more coaxing (and perhaps a minor prayer) to get it to stop.  I considered getting an anchor I could throw out the window, but physics defeats me here--the anchor required to stop a sliding two-ton Buick is probably heavier than I could easily toss with my left arm.

The worst part, though, was being forced to stop on a steep hill on a one-lane road in WVa and having the Buick--with its tires locked--start sliding down the hill.  Sliding down a hill with a sheer drop 2 feet off the side of the narrow road and no guardrails is a sort of interesting experience (my wife bailed out).  The anchor would have come in useful then, too.  

Somehow, and I will never comprehend how, a guy in one of those Kia mini-SUV's managed to turn around within the width of the one-lane road and just drive back down.  That impressed me as I was looking for a tree to tie my land-barge to so it wouldn't fall over the edge and plummet into the ravine.  If I move to WVA--and I intend to--I will definately buy some sort of 4x4.

J_A_B

(see, I make fun of my own stuff too)

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2006, 02:08:34 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"Which features would those be? I really can't think of anything. "

I can't think of any really useful features that a Honda Civic has.  When I see one, all I see is a tiny, cheap, uncomfortable, flimsy sardine can.  I can't understand why anyone who lives outside a city would ever want one.

Still doesn't answer the question.  What features do US cars have that are better?  Again, I can't think of anything.  Maybe I should rephrase that.  What technology and design features do US cars have that are better than imports?

As far as import features that are better, have you driven a Civic?  It's very well put together (not flimsy at all), efficient, sporty, and will generally last a long time in that condition without a lot of care and hassle.  Those are features that most US cars don't have, and that's why people don't buy them...not because they're prejudiced against US cars.  As far as how comfortable it is, compare it to other cars the same size.

A lot of that is because of modern technology.  Like an OHC VVT engine.  Whether the lack of this kind of thing in US cars is bad management or bad engineering or bad UAW, well I don't care.  It's inexcusable any way you cut it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2006, 02:13:24 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
There is a reason I like sporty suspensions.  I hate to slow down.  I have to have buckets which have good lateral support and grip due to my driving style.  While most people slow down when they enter a curve on the freeway, I speed up.  Part of the fun of driving for me.

:aok :aok  My best yet is 85 mph on a 20 mph Cloverleaf. :D (This was AFTER I got my new Firestone F1's)

Offline phookat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Being able to do that is part of the British driving test - you fail the test if you can't coordinate the controls to be able to do it properly.

Here in the States, you get a license by being alive.  Well, OK, 50% alive. :D

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »
What happens to hybrids when the batteries no longer hold a charge?  Where do those chemicals go?

Environmentally-friendly... blah!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2006, 02:41:45 PM »
best features?   look at a new vette... look at the suspension and drive train... we are talking a 525 hp car that gets 26 mpg and will do 200 mph and pull a g on the skidpad... and.... cost 65k.... name anything like it from anyone else..   Oh... we do have OHC engines by the millions... in 4, 6 and 8 cyl versions.   Our computer and fuel injection systems are inovative.  

as for the hybrids...as gofaster says...  where do the batteries go when they are dead?  how much to replace em?  the management systems... Like I said, I know someone facing a 2k bill just to fix the management/computer system on a prius.

lazs

Offline Choocha

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2006, 02:42:08 PM »
mtndog,

do you have a link or a date so I can read that article?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
:aok :aok  My best yet is 85 mph on a 20 mph Cloverleaf. :D (This was AFTER I got my new Firestone F1's)
Cool.  We have a couple of long sweepers here I look for an excuse to drive on when we are out. :)
One of them is slightly banked and a slightly decreasing radius.  The best I have made on it was 147mph (slight drift) in my old Z.  The IS is still being broke in, but I took it at 95 one day.  Felt well planted and secure.  I think it may go the distance.  Different set of tires will be needed though.  The Bridgestones on the IS are ok, but there are better.

I have another one which is pure torture for a car.  A negative camber, decreasing radius turn going from high to low.  Speed rated at 45MPH.  Best I have been able to do is 65MPH through it.  Nasty beast, but fun at the same time.  One of those adrenaline rush turns.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 02:49:17 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
as for the hybrids...as gofaster says...  where do the batteries go when they are dead?

Battery Heaven?  Unless they were bad....
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2006, 02:55:30 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Cool.  We have a couple of long sweepers here I look for an excuse to drive on when we are out. :)
One of them is slightly banked and a slightly decreasing radius.  The best I have made on it was 147mph (slight drift) in my old Z.  The IS is still being broke in, but I took it at 95 one day.  Felt well planted and secure.  I think it may go the distance.  Different set of tires will be needed though.  The Bridgestones on the IS are ok, but there are better.

I have another one which is pure torture for a car.  A negative camber, decreasing radius turn going from high to low.  Speed rated at 45MPH.  Best I have been able to do is 65MPH through it.  Nasty beast, but fun at the same time.  One of those adrenaline rush turns.

I hear to much adrenaline can make the bones of older men brittle... :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2006, 03:10:24 PM »
Is that the voice of experience. :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2006, 03:18:13 PM »
No no, I am still young!

(In comparison at least!) :D

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2006, 03:36:51 PM »
Numbers are not the best indicator of age.  Trust me.  I know a lot of people younger than me who are older than me. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2006, 04:03:46 PM »
"have you driven a Civic?"

Yes.  Several of them.  

"What features do US cars have that are better? "

If you're talking about the cars they're building today, virtually none.  Hence why I say they're building crap now.  

US automakers have actually gone backwards in terms of development and quality.  Take Buick as an example--no sedan they've built in the last ten years has the same level of performance as the one I own.  Isn't that pathetic?  With all the technological advances over the last decade, they can't even match one of their own former products that used a lot of 1970's-era technology.  Or, rather, they can but for some idiotic reason, don't.  

The US makers have decreased quality while increasing price, then pretend to not understand why they're doing so poorly.  

J_A_B