Author Topic: Landing  (Read 785 times)

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Landing
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
bah if i see i am in danger of overshooting i nose down and pull up hard and usually end up scraping the tail of my 38 but sometimes it comes off. But also make sure you come in straight and not turn in low onto the end of the runway for pop up trees can really piss you off. Also, you don't need to land on the start of the runway unless you are coming in on the edge of landing speed and coming in fast on a medium or large field runway you can hit the mid and still stop but other wise on a small runway you may want to at the end if you havn't stopped either if you are going like 100mph before the end try to takeoff and try again otherwise jam your rudder one way and you should use your wing as a brake :D  just becareful you don't slide off the runway:lol  ( I have lost landing kills because of it.:cry :furious )
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
Landing
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 11:03:32 PM »
If it's a plane that gains speed easily or has a tendancy to role with power I cut my RPMs a little with the number pad "-" key. Keeps me from overpowering when it looks like I'm going to auger. Also helps when I want to get to the end of the runway and re-arm.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Mister ED

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Landing
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 12:32:43 AM »
Im a Pony driver. We have lots of speed to bleed off.

I can come down from combat alt at 450-650.

First thing is find the end of the runway. Cut power, drop down to 500-800 feet.
I like doing high G bank turns. I can bleed off speed real fast.
When I get close to 200. I level out. Find the ranway, drop half flaps.
level out hit the auto level key (x) level out, drop the flaps to full. Drop gear,  glide over the runway 50-100 ft up, feather the throttle as not ot stall.
When the rubber meets the road, pull back, and apply wheel brakes.

Ive even landed on a carrier this way. Not an easy thing in a Mustang.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Landing
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 12:43:52 AM »
That's an awfully high airspeed to begin the approach. How much distance do you give yourself?

Usually I aim for 250-300mph ias making my descent from combat alt. Chop the throttle and drop my F4U's magic air brakes (being able to drop landing gear at 500mph is so sweet). I like beginning with a slight turn on my approach as it helps bleed off speed (that, and it helps seeing the runway over the Hog's nose). Ideally I try to touch down at 100mph ias.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Mister ED

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Landing
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 01:35:04 AM »
What Hogz and Jugz has air brakes now.

Mine Pony is the fastest in the land, do I get them Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

What you have to imagine is that I come straight down from 20-15k alt, in a cork screw dive. when I get to 1k-500ft Im within a mile of the tamac.  
Then I use the high G banks to bleed all that speed off. Two 360s will get it down.  When I straighten out for the approch, Im under 200, cant drop the gear til 150, that to darn fast to land a pony. 130 is ok.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Landing
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 03:05:00 PM »
F4U can drop gear at airspeeds of 450-500mph. This is historical (well, sort of. Corsairs had two stages on the gear lever, one opened doors, the other dropped the gear. The doors could, and were, opened at high airspeeds as air and dive brakes. For simplicity in AH2 it's the gear themselves). Dunno about P-47s, I think there's a discussion somewhere where HTC is saying all those "brakes" do is redirect airflow to prevent compression in a dive.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Landing
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 10:10:29 PM »
you cant drop gear over 200 in a jug .. and only the d-40 has dive flaps ... the rest of them have enough flap to work just as well though.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation