Author Topic: AUP violations list  (Read 262 times)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
AUP violations list
« on: October 12, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
Hello fellow AH mates:

Two nights ago I received a rather ominous looking email from my ISP with "AUP violations list" as the subject header.  I was getting that sinking feeling, after being informed I was about to have my services terminated or suspended if they didn't hear from me within three business days.  Tried all day yesterday to contact the appropriate department without luck, all the while wondering what did I do wrong.  

Well, it seems everything is cleared up now, and I'm off the hook.  I spoke with a very professional sounding Service Rep named Kelly.  She told me the ISP became concerned after noticing I'd spent so much time on the internet, it was costing them money.

I told her about Aces High, and she said yes, she had heard about AH, and that she came from an airplane family.  The conversation was a very pleasant one.  What a relief...lol!

I know some of you log many more hours than me.  Have you ever been under ISP scrutiny because of playing AH?  You guys are gonna get me in trouble, hehe, between reading this board and playing such an excellent game with such great players as yourselves.

Here's a hearty salute to you all, friend and foe alike...sighs with relief, whew.  Hope to see you soon.

Les
SC-Bama

:)

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
AUP violations list
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
I'm on a DSL hookup from GTE/Verison, anytime my PC is on, I'm techically online. Never heard of an AUP violation. Does your contract with your ISP say "unlimited"?  :D

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
AUP violations list
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
Rgr that Weave.  My service is for unlimited use, however it was explaned to me that they had had some problems with folks being on modems, and just staying logged on to the internet, seeming for hours on end and apparently not using it.  AUP stands for "acceptable use policy", and all ISPs have some form or another of this.  There's probably a different policy in regards to DSL hookups.

Les
SC-Bama

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
AUP violations list
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Well, the word "unlimited" is not enough.  There are 2 basic phrases that get bandied about in the ISP industry, as it pertains to a dial-up connection.
1)  "Unlimited Access":  This phrase is wrought with all types of assumptions and can take on different meanings, depending on the perspective of the person reading it.  a) It means I have no restrictions on how long or how much I use the Internet. b) You can dial-up any time you like, as often as you like.
Both assumptions are covered by that phrase, thanks to our English language.  Neither is wrong, but the interpretation can be very different from both the client and ISP perspective.  It's always good to get what the ISP means by that phrase, as it really is a marketing hype phrase.

2) "Unlimited Dial-Up Access":  This is the phrase AppLink uses, and many other ISP's for describing the ability to dial up andtime you like, as often as you like.  It allows the ISP to place other restrictions, not associated with dial-up perse, such as inactivity timeouts, or session timeouts on the account.  Again, some clients will not like that particular perspective, but that is just a matter of perspective.

Now, there are 2 things you sign up to when you activate an account with an ISP.
1)  TOS: "Terms of Service";  This is the document that will describe, in detail, how all account types work and any restrictions to said accounts.  It covers how the ISP would like you to use your connection, without regard to any data on the connection.  It also covers any potential liability isses.

2)  AUP: "Acceptable Use Policy";  This describes what the ISP will and will not allow after you have established you connection.  The AUP can cover some items about the connection in regards to how much time a connection is used, but that is usually in the TOS.

At AppLink, we do have a 30 minute inactivity timer and we do have a 6 hour session timeout, which drops the connection regardless of what is happening.
Some people hate it and move on.  Any ISP not having controls in place, such as the above, allows thier modem pools to be potentially dominated by a small group of clients.
This is bad.  ISP's depend on user to modem ratios in thier pricing and if they cannot run thier business with those ratios, they will be out of business or forced to raoise thier price and reduce the user to modem ratio.
Typically, an ISP charing $19.95/month U.S. is running a user to modem ratio of 8:1.  It can be higher depending on the number of modem ports they have.  You usually cannot reach 8:1 until you have between 65 and 75 modem ports, which translates to about 560 clients.  Busy signals are virtually non-existant in this scenario.
When you reach about 100 ports, you can raise the user to modem ratio to about 8.5:1, without any busies and so on.  Support is usually good.

ISP's charging $9.95/month U.S. usually run thier pools at 12:1.  These ISP's depend on having about 300-400 modem ports to minimize busy signals and live on very thin margins.  Support is usually pretty scanty as well.

Personally, I like clients that play games online.  They use far less bandwidth than most any other client and that is where the ISP pays the most (right after support).  I would rather extend a modem pool to meet online player demands than replace that player with a bandwidth hog, because it is cheaper to do so.
Although, I do know most ISP's hate gamers, because gamers do want to be online for longer than the average person.

Glad it worked out for you.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com