Author Topic: Successful weekend at the gun show  (Read 468 times)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Successful weekend at the gun show
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:44:41 AM »
I had been saving for months for this gun show, wanting to find a decent quality 1911.  The new computer last month pretty much wiped that idea off the map, but I was still hopeful.  Those hopes pretty much tanked when I saw the pricetags on most of the guns I looked at.  Until today. Yesterday this guy was selling his NIB Norinco 1911A1 for $400.  Today it was $300.  I stopped, looked, handled it a bit, walked on.  As the day went on, I kept an eye on it but it didnt move.  Stopped and talked to the guy a few times, eventually I asked him about the gun.  He said he traded for it and has never used it, it sits in his safe at home.  His wife is forcing him to clean out the safe of guns he will not use.  We haggled a bit, and I took it for $250.  Went out in the hallway and did a little happy dance.  :)

Yesterday I picked up a couple of badly neglected black powder guns for projects, the gem of which is a nice little '51 Colt Navy that the previous owner had abandoned as hopeless.  It needs a new hand spring, a new latch on the end of the loading rod, and alot of cleaning.  Otherwise it's very serviceable and will make a nice conversion project.  I want to try to manufacture a match for my original Richards and Mason conversion gun.  I have 20 bucks in it, not a bad start.  The other is a '58 Remington, in worse shape but still saveable.  It needs more work though, and will be a real project.  I'm cutting the barrel, lightening the mainspring, and replacing the ugly post front sight with a nice blade.  I'm going to fill in the loading rod hole and relieve the metal on the right side of the recoil sheild for a loading gate, and install a cartridge conversion system that looks like an original Remington factory conversion.  I stripped down both guns and started making a list of what needs replacement and what can be re-used.  This is going to be a blast!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 01:20:57 AM »
You DAWG!  250!! Oh, man you truly suck.

Congrats on a very nice score.

bastard.

I got the new walnut furniture finished & on the FAL last week, got it on the range today. I need to pack coasters.. freakin thing looks like a coffee table. I love it. And I got the reparked receiver in (at last!!) for the garand from CMP; matches the resta the navy parts perfectly. oooohhh rah.  

I'm lost in this. and loving every minute of it. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 08:29:31 AM »
ok... we need pics...  not of the "happy dance" tho ok?

lazs

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:46:35 AM »
Going to the cop shop today to fill out paperwork, if I can get away from work on time.  Hawaii wont let me take possession until I have the permit in hand and I bought it on a Sunday.  Bleh.  

So I made myself feel better by buying brass and a new set of .45 ACP dies for my reloader.  :)  I'll actually have to invest in a separate setup for this one though, with powder measures and all for the heathen smokeless stuff.  Thats ok, I've been meaning to invest in one anyway for the russian rifle and my M1.  I darn near picked up a Springfield 1903 as well.  It was priced at 100 bucks and he was willing to deal.  The wife was already PO'd at me for everything else I brought home though.  :)  Figured I'd better not push my luck.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Going to the cop shop today to fill out paperwork, if I can get away from work on time.  Hawaii wont let me take possession until I have the permit in hand and I bought it on a Sunday.  Bleh.  

So I made myself feel better by buying brass and a new set of .45 ACP dies for my reloader.  :)  I'll actually have to invest in a separate setup for this one though, with powder measures and all for the heathen smokeless stuff.  Thats ok, I've been meaning to invest in one anyway for the russian rifle and my M1.  I darn near picked up a Springfield 1903 as well.  It was priced at 100 bucks and he was willing to deal.  The wife was already PO'd at me for everything else I brought home though.  :)  Figured I'd better not push my luck.

You walked away from a 1903 Springfield priced at 100 bucks! ???

LOL!

Now I feel better. ;)

Good luck on the paperwork, buddie. Put up pics like Laz said.. would love to see those old black powder guns.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 12:44:33 PM »
wtg man. I just picked up a colt 1911 on sunday as well. hehe

congrats.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 12:45:24 PM »
guns are bad.... mmkay?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
wow. that's deep.

i'll be sure to spank my FAL for yah furbie.

'BAD gun! BAD, BAD, BAD!'

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 01:11:07 PM »
:rofl

spank your what thinking about me?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 01:15:24 PM »
You guys called em L1A1's. Lord knows why.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
Re: Successful weekend at the gun show
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
I had been saving for months for this gun show, wanting to find a decent quality 1911.  The new computer last month pretty much wiped that idea off the map, but I was still hopeful.  Those hopes pretty much tanked when I saw the pricetags on most of the guns I looked at.  Until today. Yesterday this guy was selling his NIB Norinco 1911A1 for $400.  Today it was $300.  I stopped, looked, handled it a bit, walked on.  As the day went on, I kept an eye on it but it didnt move.  Stopped and talked to the guy a few times, eventually I asked him about the gun.  He said he traded for it and has never used it, it sits in his safe at home.  His wife is forcing him to clean out the safe of guns he will not use.  We haggled a bit, and I took it for $250.  Went out in the hallway and did a little happy dance.  :)

Yesterday I picked up a couple of badly neglected black powder guns for projects, the gem of which is a nice little '51 Colt Navy that the previous owner had abandoned as hopeless.  It needs a new hand spring, a new latch on the end of the loading rod, and alot of cleaning.  Otherwise it's very serviceable and will make a nice conversion project.  I want to try to manufacture a match for my original Richards and Mason conversion gun.  I have 20 bucks in it, not a bad start.  The other is a '58 Remington, in worse shape but still saveable.  It needs more work though, and will be a real project.  I'm cutting the barrel, lightening the mainspring, and replacing the ugly post front sight with a nice blade.  I'm going to fill in the loading rod hole and relieve the metal on the right side of the recoil sheild for a loading gate, and install a cartridge conversion system that looks like an original Remington factory conversion.  I stripped down both guns and started making a list of what needs replacement and what can be re-used.  This is going to be a blast!

When I lived in Honolulu I only saw one place for the public to shoot.  Is that really the case?  I never owned a gun while I lived there; are they stricter than other states?

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 03:44:45 PM »
permit?

Offline culero-at-work

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
SA I bought one of those Norincos a few years back "just because" (got it for $225). It was NIB box as well. I figured it'd be a nice spare throwaway piece.

Much to my surprise I really like it. Decent trigger, and it has never ever jammed stovepiped or failed to function acceptably in any way. I can't say that about any other 1911 I have ever seen. Its turned into my regular carry piece.

The only thing I've found unsatisfactory about it were the crappy plastic OEM grips. That was an easy fix :)

culero (yeah its ugly but a gun is a tool to me not a showpiece)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 04:39:20 PM »
Yeah, one of the other guys in my club found a set of real ivory grips.  

Jerk.

:)

Best I could find were some black and silver Micarta grips, but they were too slippery.  I'll wait, too many places selling aftermarket grips for the 1911.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 05:17:34 PM »
Never realized how bad the pictures are from this cell phone until i want them to work.  Ah well.  

This is the only pic that came out so far from the Navy.  Still waiting to see on the others.