Author Topic: Video Card Choices  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Video Card Choices
« on: March 19, 2000, 10:49:00 PM »
Hi Aces!
I have been considering getting a new video card for gaming (Currently running 2 voodoo2's SLI) and I have been sitting around waiting for the Voodoo5 6000. However, after some discussion in the game tonight, most people recommended the GeForce over the new Voodoo. As was said, `T&L' is more important then anit-aliasing. What good is anti-aliasing at 1200 x 1600 res?' Which I thought was a very good point.

Anyway, could you guys give me your opinions on which gaming card that is 'current/within 3 months of release' that you would recommend and why?

Thanks!

Sundog
VMF-111 Devildogs www.devildogs.com

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Video Card Choices
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2000, 11:09:00 PM »
Wait for the Voodoo 6  

------------------

Tac
=475th Fighter Group=
"Lightning Riders"

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
Video Card Choices
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
G-Force All the way  

Im not sure about 3DFX's policy on proprietry API's but their old cards used 'glide' - a proprietry API.

Go with the G-Force and you be guaranteed OpenGL support and Direct-X which are THE standards. Most game manafacturers will develop for one or the other (some both), if 3DFX make their own you could be left in the cold.  

------------------
Supreme Mega-Overlord Spatula
"...perfect for serving"
=357th Pony Express=
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Video Card Choices
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2000, 02:36:00 AM »
If you have a powerful CPU, highend Athlon or PIII, their 3DNow! or SSE will handle T&L as well as GForce does (once drivers are optimized). This is just the opinion of the 3DFX personel, and due this they are not going to support T&L with their new cards and  they are centered into giving socking fill rates and cinematic effects. Well, perhaps they are right, but if you have a low-end CPU like Celery, K6(2 or III), surelly Geforce will be the correct choice.

Granger

Video Card Choices
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2000, 05:07:00 AM »
Gforce !
Anti aliasing anti smailising, it runs Aces High faster than the competition, period. T&L or no T&L.

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
Video Card Choices
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2000, 09:35:00 AM »
GeForce DDR all the way!

Mox
The Wrecking Crew

Offline whels

• Silver Member
Video Card Choices
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2000, 11:45:00 AM »
If u can wait, Nvidia has a new card otw that is faster than the Geforce and will run
multi rings around the new Voodoos otw.

Whels

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
Video Card Choices
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
Hiya Sundog,

I replaced my Voodoo 2 SLI setup with a Guillemot Prophet 3D DDR-DVI, and I've never been happier. The image quality is better, and I can run in 32bit color.

Do it now, and enjoy!  

------------------
banana
308 (Polish) Squadron RAF "City of Cracow"
"On the whole, it is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them"

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Video Card Choices
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2000, 01:18:00 PM »
Get yourself a cheap card, like a V3 3000 now, and then review the situation in 3-4 months when the drivers have stabilised.