Author Topic: Deep Sea Fishing  (Read 368 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« on: August 03, 2001, 02:09:00 PM »
Welp I'm off for my 1st ever deep sea fishing trip  :)  It's part of the benefits package at my new job  :eek:

Bout to take off on a 4 hr drive down to Rockport, Tx.  Then tomarow I'll turn 32 and get to go fishing  ;)  what a b-day present!

Udie

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2001, 02:19:00 PM »
Sweet!  I grew up on boats, and worked the Billfish Tourney circuit for a few years.  Money for nothing(big money) and I fished for free!

Here is what not to do, Udie:

Don't get terribly drunk tonight.
Don't wake up and drink a bunch of sweet drinks/eat sweet food.  Get a belly full of bisquits and gravy type food, rib-sticking stuff.
If you are thirsty, drink water or beer only.
Do not go in the cabin!  Stay on deck the whole time, or if you feel the least bit queasy.  The flybridge is the prime spot.

What boat are ya'll going on?

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gadfly:
Sweet!  I grew up on boats, and worked the Billfish Tourney circuit for a few years.  Money for nothing(big money) and I fished for free!

Here is what not to do, Udie:

Don't get terribly drunk tonight.
Don't wake up and drink a bunch of sweet drinks/eat sweet food.  Get a belly full of bisquits and gravy type food, rib-sticking stuff.
If you are thirsty, drink water or beer only.
Do not go in the cabin!  Stay on deck the whole time, or if you feel the least bit queasy.  The flybridge is the prime spot.

What boat are ya'll going on?

4 or 5 small private charter boats from what I understand.  I'm going to stop and get some dramamine on the way down there.  There will be alcohol consumed tonight though, but I'll cut back if it means sea sickness on the B-day. I'm not planning on drinking on the boat.

Thanks for the advice!  We're off right now!!!!!!!

Udie

Offline Cobra

• Nickel Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2001, 02:30:00 PM »
Udie,
Gadfly's advice is solid.  I go fishing out of Gloucester and Rockport, MA, (sometimes Cape Cod) every-once-in-a-while and he's on the money.  Especially the beer part.  I find that to be the best thing to help with motion sickness if you feel it coming on.

Talk about irony, I know this old Italian fisherman that fished for years out of Gloucester to the Grand Banks, and he got seasick more times than he didn't, but it was good money for him, so he kept going back out.

Cobra

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
yep, don't go out there with a hang over, you'll be miserable.

good luck fishing
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
Enjoy Udie, click the link below for my B_day wish for you!
(Hope it works)

Birthday boy!

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2001, 09:55:00 PM »
Thnx guys  :)

Rip, the link didn't work  :(

WOW!!!!!! what a day!!!! I didn't get sick! We didn't go "deep" sea fishing.  We stayed in San Antonio bay, but far enough out as to bairly see land. Avg depth is 3.5 feet, but it gets to about 12" in areas. We had 19 people from the company fishing this morning and we brought back 132 fish  :)

The boat I was on cought the least amount of fish. We only kept 8 fish. 2 speckeled trout, 1 red drum and 5 black drum (4 of which were mine and the 2 largest were mine 20" and 19"  :D )  We didn't get so much as a bite for the first 4 hours and it looked like it was going to be a bust.  But at about 11:30 or 12 one of the boats called our boat and said they were catching black drum 2 and 3 at a time, so we went to that spot.  In the next 2 hours I must have landed 25 fish myself, most of which were under the limit.  

I was the lucky one on my boat though, I feal real guilty too.  I caught 25 or so drum, while the next largest amount caught on our boat was Joe, who cought only 5, 2 of which were keepers a black drum and a trout.   The poor bastards would throw their bait in literaly 2 feet from mine and I'd get a strike while theirs just sat there  :)  The really bad part was that I missed about 15 more strikes.  I'd throw the line in and before I could get the slack out of the line a fish would hit my bait and I wasn't able to set the hook.

I'd have to say that besides being realy tired and drunk (2 hours sleep after 2 margaritas and 8 beers  :) ) this was the best fishing trip I've been on.  I've got about 5-6 lbs of fish in the freezer, way more than I thought I'd have. HEHEHEHEHE it took the guides over 3 1/2 hours to clean all our fish! I'm going back in september when they say the fish realy bite  ;)

Udie

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
Deep Sea Fishing
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2001, 05:16:00 PM »
I remember as a kid on Guam going with my brother, Dad, uncles, and cousins out into the deep blue.  We'd make for the northern tip of Guam where the island of Rota was just visible to the north.  The west-east currents were quite strong as wind and sea funneled between the islands, and swells could be a hefty size even on a clear sunny day.  My brother, cousins, and I used to love going to the bow, and holding onto the rail as our boat smashed through a swell, totally drenching us.

For the longest time my Dad never caught a fish, and it got to the point that he felt he was jinxed somehow, and my uncles had fun with it for awhile.  Then, one day he came home with this huge yellowfin, something like 4-5 feet long, and a girth that was amazing.  He was so proud that day  :)  The only bad part was that we had tuna for months - tuna sandwiches, tuna casseroles, tuna steaks, tuna this, tuna that.  And this, even after giving a lot away to friends and family.  But, boy, that was a huge fish  :)
ingame: Raz