Author Topic: Elevator  (Read 436 times)

Offline wheez

• Zinc Member
Elevator
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
I just got a new stick and remember someone talking about mapping the elevator to it. My question is does adjusting the elevator make much of a difference in a fight, and if so how do I set it back to default when not in a fight?

Wheez

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Elevator
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
I think they were talking about mapping elevator trim. You simply need 2 buttons, one for "trim up" and one for "trim down".

A spare hat is good for this type of thing.

You basically fly with combat trim off. Adjust trim up or down to keep steady flight. This helps when you change speeds (like in a dive or a zoom or something) but generally isn't 100% vital. Unless you talk to P38 pilots, a lot say it's pretty important for that particular plane.

How to get it back? You are simply changing the trim. You have too much nose up, trim it down again. Either just manually re-trim it, or hit CTRL-X (toggle key for Combat Trim). If you toggle combat trim on then off, your trim will stay at that point until you manually change it again. If you leave it on, well that's another question.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Elevator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
wheez, dont worry about trim too early. Im flying over a year now and still can fight most fights without ever *thinking* of trimming manually.

In 95% of the planes and situations, combat trim will do just fine. At the beginnning, its more important to manage your Energy, know your planes strenghts and your opponents weaknesses and exploit them. Only if your flying your plane on the edge of its envelope, manual trim will give you a tiny bit more, that might make you win the fight.

Here is a link on Trim in Aces High. Murdr has a writeup on manual trim in 479th Library.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline wheez

• Zinc Member
Elevator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 06:28:16 PM »
Thanks for the info and the links. Ive been flying few years now just havent been posting. I was using a Saitek  EVO twist stick and found a CH throtle on clearance at Fry's and decided it was time I tried using a seperate throttle. So now I have a ton of buttons that I am trying to putto use.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Elevator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:13:46 PM »
don't worry about elevators unless you are in a 38 or if you want to really get your enemy good like what i do in a NIK sometimes is go up acting like a noob then pull hard while about to stall with full elevators which pretty much flips it round right into a nice front shot(f.y.i not a ho they are mostly trying to get a lead shot and i am pretty much doing a quick snapshot at the bottom of their engine) or if they stalled out right on their 6 but in a 38 it really does help but with this new stall system i seem to have to real learn the 38 while riding the horn.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Alky

• Nickel Member
Elevator
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 10:32:54 AM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
wheez, dont worry about trim too early. Im flying over a year now and still can fight most fights without ever *thinking* of trimming manually.

I just bought the complete CH package and have become used to flying in manual trim with Saitek X45 that has the rotary switches.  If trimming with a hat switch is all I can do now, it's probably not worth the trouble during a fight. With the rotary thumbwheel I was able to change trim as I flew, was nice.
George "AlkyŽ" Fisher