Author Topic: Topic: System Outage  (Read 1292 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Topic: System Outage
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Scotch AND soda... what wienie drinks that.
Its gotta be strieght!!!!

To tell if you enjoy liqure is easy. Stand infront of a mirror and take a swig from the bottle... then look at your facial reaction.  Take about 8-10 more good swigs and then look again... see the difference?   :cool:   ;)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline dgail2332

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2001, 12:11:00 PM »
This topic is why I really love this group of people. Although I am new around here and you guys are getting easy kills off me, I really love the game and community. It is so refreshing to see when there are server issues everyone isn't cussing and yelling like a bunch of 3 year olds.

Again thanks HTC and all who play Aces High. Great game and great group of people. Now it is time for me to jump in my 109 and go get shot down again.   :)

Boklour

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
" It is so refreshing to see when there are server issues everyone isn't cussing and yelling like a bunch of 3 year olds."

Part of it is the candid and honest explanation for the outage. Players were not automatically told it was "thier problem" or later on tha "well, something happened, we don't know what it was but it looks all ok now but you  need to update to winsock version 2"  :)

Another part of it is that a good number of folks here (at this point in time anyway) know the nature of internet, problems in online playing and what causes most problems.

But the number one reason you don't see folks typically have a hissy fit is Skuzzy.  :)  He is THE man. And no one else (re: other MMPOG's) have anyone like him.  :D

Westy

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Skuzzy,

About six years ago, I had the privilege of visiting one of MCI's "junctions" in Denver.  During the tour, they took us inside a mobile repair station and demonstrated for us the "splicing" of a single fiber thread.  Each end has to be grabbed hold of and magnified thousands of times just to be able to match them up, then you have hit it with just enough laser to fuse them back together again.  If your lucky, the new join doesn't have too much signal loss to ruin the connect, only degrade it a bit.  Once you've tested that circuit out, you go on to the next, and the next, and the next.  Some of these cables can contain hundreds of individual fibers, depending upon the size of the trunk line.  I can't imagine "patching" a fiber cut under even the most ideal conditions, much less in the field with storms all around.  I guess we can be thankful it wasn't winter time  ;)

I'm sorry it was so stressful from your end, though I think it needn't be.  Most of us are adults and can handle it.  Some of us could even use the time to reconnect with our families!  I know I did.

Let me take this opportunity to once again thank the entire HiTechCreations crew for the outstanding product they have produced and their unmatchable attention to the details, big and small!

<SALUTE>

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Well,.they have come a ways in the ability to patch fiber.  Depending on the tool, it can be accomplished in about 2 minutes per strand, in the field.
Although, when something like this happens, they do have to run a new fiber trunk to replace it as the patches take too much space and can cause strain on the fiber, whci will eventually cause a failure to occur.
When they do run a new trunk, the patch panel for the fiber, in the junction box, usually has enough capacity to carry the new trunk and allow them to switch to the new trunk pretty quickly without much downtime at all.

By the way, thanks for all the positive remarks and compliments.  They are appreciated.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
Skuzzy how is work coming on the chimp-with-telegraph backup system?  I've almost perfected the banana pellet dispenser.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2001, 04:09:00 PM »
LOL funked!  I needed that.  

Heck, I was on the verge of hauling my kite string over to Savvis, but the beer cans did not carry enough capacitance and the attentuation was really off.  :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
I don't know if it's the same in the States, but in the UK there's a limit to how many repairs can be carried out on any one discreet length of cable (and it's a low limit, only one or two, depending on spec).

Any more than that and the cable gets changed..the whole thing.

The fun may just be starting....   :)