Author Topic: Atheists Least Trusted  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2006, 03:26:29 PM »
Gunthr, can you respond to a well reasoned post without condescension dripping from your text?  

Try and respond on the merits of a message instead of attacking the writer, anything else is dishonest.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2006, 03:57:17 PM »
You're *****ting me, aren't you?  Can't you tell I'm joking?  Untwist those panties  :D

Besides, I'm giddy.  I've got spring fever.  I'm buying a sailboat very very soon, and I'll be spending much time in the keys and the islands.   Don't tell me there is no God.  :D
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »
Hi MT,

Originally posted by midnight Target
So you are basically saying that all morality is defined by religion? This is possibly the least thoughtful post I've ever read from you.

I am about to leave to catch a plane for a conference in Jackson, I really don't have time to give any of the replies the time they deserve, but since I'll be down there till Friday I just wanted to do a "drive by answer" before I go.

Well, in answer to the "least thoughtful" comment, that is of course entirely possible, everyone has their bad days.

But I think the problem here is that my post actually moved from the realm of theology into moral philosophy. The contention that if there is no God and nothing beyond the material realm that there can be no absolutes in the realm of morals is something accepted by almost all major philosophers. In particular the explicitly atheistic philosophies such as Nihilism and Existentialism have worked from that principle. Sartre in particular made the impossibility of absolutes foundational to all of his writing.

To paraphrase Sartre in a way I hope you'll understand, for any point in the universe to have meaning there must be a fixed reference point. So for instance let us take an action, how do we decide if that action is good or bad? Sartre pointed out that you may call it subjectively bad or good but absent a fixed and unchanging reference, that is merely your subjective opinion. The action can never be really good or bad. It merely is or was.

For instance, there have been cultures in which incest was considered "good" and not "bad." Now we may wade in and say, no you're wrong, it's bad. But when they ask us "why?" without a fixed reference point, we are reduced to giving either an entirely subjective answer "Because I say so" or a popular answer "because the majority says so" or a utilitarian answer "because it produces genetic defects and reduces the overall health of society" but neither of those answers make it bad per se. For instance, if incest doesn't result in procreation, then the utilitarian argument is eliminated, if the opinion of the majority changes, then the popular argument is eliminated. None of these methods can actually answer if an action is really good or bad.

I'd say read Nietzsche's "Beyond Good and Evil" but I fear you might find his arguments compelling .

Most atheists are not moral philosophers in any event, and live as though there really are good and bad actions (usually subjectively or popularly arrived at) rather than trying to live in keeping with the ultimate conclusions of atheistic/materialist philosophy.

Gotta go...

- SEAGOON
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:05:01 PM by Seagoon »
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #303 on: April 04, 2006, 06:02:40 AM »
SaburoS, can you briefly list a few irrefutable facts of God's inexistance?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #304 on: April 04, 2006, 07:52:53 AM »
forget it moot.... he allready admitted that his belief is faith based and his belief only...  That is fine... I don't know why we are discsussing it further...

We all agree that subarus religion is faith based.   His religion is that god does not exist.  He has nothing but faith to base it on (and lack of tangible evidence)  but... we all know that lack of tangible evidence does not rule out the possibility of existence.   No one knew that atoms existed... some believed it.

As for studying all religions.... many have spent a lifetime stuying only one religion and not getting it all.... with the thousands out there it would seem a monstruous undertaking to claim to have studied them all..

As for all morality coming from religion.... I did not say nor did I mean exclusively the christian religion.

lazs

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #305 on: April 04, 2006, 01:19:42 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
We all agree that subarus religion is faith based.

I don't think so.
sand

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #306 on: April 04, 2006, 01:43:51 PM »
Nice try Seagoon, but don't be so quick to toss off the utilitarian answer to your moral question about incest. That is the ultimate answer. Manners, by and large, are necessities of modern society  invented to prevent problems. Simple really. The lack of aggression caused by good manners leads to a more stable society. Don't need religion at all. I Kant see how you could disagree. :)

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:21 AM »
Gunthr,
Oh man, your last post was very funny :aok

moot,
I'm not going there. You want me to prove something that does not exist, a negative? How about you prove something that does exist? Do it in another thread though. You've obviously ignored or misunderstand what I've written. I'm not about to go into the mother of a wall of text. I don't have the time nor will it matter. Those with faith will continue to believe what they will regardless of the facts.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2006, 12:19:34 AM »
forget it moot.... he allready admitted that his belief is faith based and his belief only...  That is fine... I don't know why we are discsussing it further...

Your reading comprehension is wanting.

We all agree that subarus religion is faith based.   His religion is that god does not exist.  He has nothing but faith to base it on (and lack of tangible evidence)  but... we all know that lack of tangible evidence does not rule out the possibility of existence.   No one knew that atoms existed... some believed it.

And you would be wrong.

As for studying all religions.... many have spent a lifetime stuying only one religion and not getting it all.... with the thousands out there it would seem a monstruous undertaking to claim to have studied them all..

LOL, studying all religions? I don't think that's possible. Not only are you missing the forest for the trees, you're missing the trees for the pinecone.

As for all morality coming from religion.... I did not say nor did I mean exclusively the christian religion.
lazs

You were vague so I phrased my questions.
So, what specific morality/moralities originated from what specific religion(s) you speak of?
like it or not... all the morality we have today originated from religion.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2006, 12:20:03 AM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
To paraphrase Sartre in a way I hope you'll understand, for any point in the universe to have meaning there must be a fixed reference point.

Apparently Sartre did not have a basic grounding in General Relativity.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2006, 01:10:47 AM »
"Regardless of the facts" sounds too final.  Be better to say those who have faith will believe what they will.  

However mankind  doesn't know all the facts and maybe never will.  Science is not the matrix for proving the existence of God.  Don't understand the disagreement here, except for the implying faith is non-factual.  You think science is the only way to enlightment?  What about the soul?  It's there and we didn't create it.  What about the soul, and art and music, and love?

Les

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »
subaru... you yourself said that you didn't believe in the possibility of a god.  you admit that you have no proof... that your "belief" is faith based.

I have no problem with that.  just admit that you are not being scientific and  that you have made a religion of it.

and...  you claimed to have studied religion and that is how you know it is all false.... How can that be?  Unless you have studied them all then how can you come to this conclussion?   I will say that I have yet to find one that I would say matches my faith but.... I don't rule out the possibility that one exists.

you on the other hand have found one that makes you comfortable... the religion of athiesm... the belief that... even tho there is no way of proving it.... god does not exist...

At least the guys who say they don't believe in god because he didn't save their puppy when they were 12 are being honest about it.

lazs

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2006, 08:46:37 AM »
Belief in God isn't the issue Lazs.  The crux of the matter is living life seeking wisdom, which I believe comes from God and Jesus.  It is not easy and requires discipline.  I'm not one to say.  If you looked at my life you would say I'm a fool, because I am not capable of adapting to situations.  I make up my mind and follow that, at my peril and the peril of others around me.

I was saved years ago, but have since become more formally educated and question my faith more and more each day.  I have not thought I had lost salvation through all the sins I committed over the years.  

Any way, you are A-OK with me.  In my opinion, you are one of the smartest people in this forum.  And I'm not just saying that.

Les

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Atheists Least Trusted
« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2006, 11:05:03 AM »
I'm not proving anything unprovable, that's what I pointed out a few posts ago.
I was asking you to show brief proof that god was positively inexistant..

I do know what you're arguing, and the problem I see is that you're admitting that proving god's inexistance is possible, but proving his existance isn't.
That just doesn't work, maybe you could demonstrate how you think it does..?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you