Author Topic: Interesting Gulf War Statistic  (Read 1023 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Interesting Gulf War Statistic
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2001, 04:08:00 PM »

The Iraqis did score one kill, however. On the opening night of the war a MiG-25 shot down an F/A-18. That was the airplane flown by Cdr. Speicher.

Is Cdr. Speicher the pilot that was just listed as MIA?  If so, I read he was shot down by a SAM.  Also, on a History Channel show, they claimed no allied air force planes were shot down by the Iraqi aircraft.

BTW.. The F-15 has so much thrust/weight that it can actually beat the Space Shuttle to 50,000 feet.

AKDejaVu

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 01-30-2001).]

TheWobble

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2001, 06:05:00 PM »
well from what I understand the F-15's got all the fun because almost every aircraft that was dual-role was assigned to mud moving.  

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2001, 07:38:00 PM »
towd

I still talk to my squadron mates. The RC community is pretty small. The airplane is VERY capable. Things are exchanged between us in confidence. I also gave my word to the Guard/Reserve fighter guys that I've shared long nightime legs with as well. These stories are not for the general public, for a lot of reasons.

I'm not going to break that trust to justify anything to the most churlish, intolerant boor to ever grace a BBS.

Perhaps you can't understand that; after all, you still can't figure why folks are upset that Clinton lied under oath can you? You never will understand, either; you either have it or you don't.  

So, here, this is just for you:

It all happened EXACTLY the way you heard it on the world's most reliable news network, CNN.

Feel better?  

BTW, remember that little disagreement between the Carter Administration and the Nixon Administration over the deployment of Soviet MiG-23 fighter-bombers in Cuba with nuke capability?

I know all about that one too; I was Mission Commander. I'm not going to tell you about that one either!

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-30-2001).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2001, 10:31:00 PM »
churlish
10 point for using churlish well in a post...

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2001, 11:54:00 PM »
Hehe toss in the Israeli totals from the 80s and it's even more lopsided.

IIRC the Israelis used the F-15s as a "mini AWACS" due to its powerful radar, the F-15s vectored the F-16s to the enemy aircraft.

The kill tally was approximately 84-1, the only Israeli loss was an A-4 lost to AAA if memory serves correctly.  

-towd_

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2001, 01:51:00 AM »
ok smart boy i heard it in my capacity as a cic radio operator on the uss virgina os4 during combat duty  the people you talk to were wrong. and i am really  honestly not at libery to discuss the issue other that to tell you you are full of crap. go try an impress somone who was at home like you .  

wasent around for mig 23s in cuba and get this i wont pretend i was. mission commander of what where and for whom and just and  little one ,is it classifed ?and if so why are you talkin about it other than to try to impress folks? once again get a life.

p.s. you are a security risk if you arent totaly full of toejam

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2001, 05:01:00 AM »

Originally posted by StSanta:

How do they do when fighting F-16's in dogfights, assuming both are loaded for a2a? I'd guess it has more thrust to weight?

AFAIK, F15C will outclimb, outdive and outaccelerate easily the F16, while F16 will outturn (in substained turns) and outroll the F15C.

IMO, F15C instant turn rate if better, it seems it can gain a tremendous AOA easier than F16.

F15C is faster at any altitude (but it seems is has vibration problems at lo level and hi speeds) and its operational celining is much higher.

Both planes can substain 9g turns, but pilot seat disposition in F16 is better suited to make substained hi G turns for a longer time.

TheWobble

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2001, 05:21:00 AM »
Yup thats assuming one or both werent vaporized at 15 miles out by mutual AIM-120 launches.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2001, 06:32:00 AM »
Bet I held a much higher security clearance than you ever did. Do you know anything about the RC-135 program?    

These incidents are now public knowledge, whether or not they remain classified by the government.

I haven't said one thing here that confirmed or denied classified information, nor have I released any classified information.

I'll believe the guys who were actually in the air, thanks.

BTW, I was a volunteer in the draft era. In from late '73 to '80. I was out long before the Gulf but I was in while Vietnam was on.

How long were you in?

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 01-31-2001).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2001, 09:23:00 AM »
You've probably seen the F15 with security car wedged beneath it, here's a new one, we'll give you the report on it once its complete:

-towd_

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
yea bud how much higher than top secret is there? please tell me about you super decoder ring also.

rc-135 ?and how would i know about somting that wasent in my relm of duty ,see that is how security works you know what you "need to know" . you seem to enjoy talkin about things you dont know lets stick to the incident i know . i know you are not right there and thus i said so.
tryin to turn it into "i know more bullcrap scuttlebutt than you" is admirable for a windbag  but you are still full of crap on the subject i called you on .
 and yea the incidents are public knowledge but the details are classified, feel free to continue spewing  but know you are busted. it didnt happen the way your buddies freinds uncles cousins barber told you. and the attempt to belittle our allies the soudis blows in my oppinion .what ever else you say about them, they were fightin a war like i was not wachin tv like you.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
Towd, you really need to just shut up.  Just when I think you couldn't be any more ignorant, you post again and prove me wrong.

If you want information on the RC-135, look it up on the web.  The plane's existance is not classified.  Many of its capabilities are.  Toad has been spot on with everything he's posted.

AKDejaVu

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
You don't know of clearances above TS?  

Hey, believe whatever you want to believe; makes no difference to me.

But ask yourself why the "details" of this clean, superbly executed Saudi shootdown are still classified. After all, just a normal, everyday engagement right? PR has nothing to do with modern warfare.

Not like it's a big secret on how AWACS tracks targets, designates the shooters and does the C&C is it? They've shown AWACS ops from onboard on TV.

Go figure.

Still, you are absolutely right. It happened just like CNN said it did.

Fought your war, did ya? Where were ya in '73, sonny?  

I did my service. Nope, didn't go to the Vietnam area until after it was over. US troops were essentially out when I got to my duty squadron.

I don't denigrate anyone's service. But I expect that from you. One just has to consider the source.