Author Topic: OK, help me like my country more: chant suggestions  (Read 511 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
OK, help me like my country more: chant suggestions
« on: September 29, 2000, 08:35:00 AM »
I think the '94 World Cup is when that god-awful "USA, USA, USA!" chant started.  Talk about bolemic. I mean other countries have entire songs for sport events - some pretty bawdy too  

So, what I want to do is start simple, with a chant, but a good chant.  And I need help from our non-USA players mostly, because I would like to know some of the more derogatory (but not profane) terms they use to describe the "most powerful nation on Earth(talk about putting mud in someone's eye)".  What I was thinking was how the Australians like being called 'ozzie'.  See, they have a sense of humor.  So, all you furiners out there, lay those names down here, please!
ingame: Raz

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2000, 08:45:00 AM »
This should be good!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2000, 10:20:00 AM »
Well, at soccer games here, when played at home field and the home team wins, the home crowd likes to yell "God tur hjem, god tur hjem".

Roughly translated, it means "have a nice trip home"  

I think such chants beat nationalistic ones  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2000, 12:15:00 PM »
I go to alot of football games (I refuse to use that 'other' word - at least in our national sport we do use the foot 95% of the time   ) - so I know a fair few pretty nasty chants.

Not sure if this is what you want, but here are some mild chants:

"You're not singing anymore. You're not singing, YOU'RE NOT SINGING! YOU'RE NOT SINGING ANYMORE!!!!" (getting louder)

"You're going home in a f*cking ambulance!" (target: opposition players/fans or if things are going badly, your own players)

"It's just like watching Brasil." (can be used ironically)

"You're sh*t and you know you are."

Thing is, alot of chants are aimed at specific sides - u might not get the cultural references. I'll think about it though. I don't really know any anti-american ones, I've never watched a sport where americans were participating.

I know a few anti-German ones though, which are quite rude, and a bit xenophobic to be honest.

What a great topic. But why do you want them Leonid?

------------------
Dowding

99th 'Raging Rooks'

"Don't mention that s*ccer word to me, DAMN IT!!!"

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 09-29-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2000, 10:45:00 PM »
Dowding,
Reason I want them is because ours is so lame (sadly, it is only a single chant).  We need some 'instruction' on the finer points.  Noting StSanta's post, at local school games in the US we also have chants like that, making use of popular songs to convey those feelings, like 'Hit the Road, Jack', etc.  Unfortunately, these types of chants never make it to the professional, or international, levels in US competitions.

Now, Americans as a group are not given to singing (hey, even I fall into that category), but maybe we can break some ground, and start 'rap chanting'!  That would be cool, I think  

Oh, and btw, it's the Olympic Games that got me in this mood  

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 09-30-2000).]

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2000, 04:23:00 AM »
leonid:

you ever been to a big international soccer game?

It *is* quite an experience to hear 50 000 fans sing and chant, and roar when there's a goal opportunity.

One warning; at least here, we drink a lot of beer during the game. In plastic mugs. So, when a goal is scored, everyone throws their arms into the air. And it starts to rain beer.

"USA USA USA" is about as lame as it can get. I chuckled first, then was a bit embarrased.

You should have a chant with guns, nukes and a "if you don't lose, you'll glow" sorta atmosphere  :.

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2000, 06:16:00 AM »
StSanta,
No, I've never been to an international football game, but watching those big games on TV really makes me want to experience that.  My wife and I are hoping to go to Italy before too long, so maybe I'll catch a few along the way  

I really do wish we could come up with a better routine for cheering for our teams.  Even a real good chant can make the place electric (remember the movie, Zulu, when the warriors all came out and sang to the survivors at Rourke's Drift?).

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2000, 07:52:00 AM »
One of my friends went travelling to various places and one of them was Brasil. He went to see a football match and they weren't throwing cups of beer around, if you get my meaning. He says it was one of the worst football experiences of his life, and he's been beaten up before in England.

I see what you mean about the olympics and the US chant, Leonid. It reminds me of our chant at international football games. It's basically Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land, Eng-er-land to a tune, which would be hard to describe.

Fortunately, in 1996, a couple of comedians and the band 'Lightning Seeds' wrote a song called 'Three Lions'. It went straight to number one in the charts and has been sung at internationals ever since. It relates to the the three lions on the England shirt and basically reminisces for the good old days when we were any good at football, and how we will return to be champions again one day.

It goes:

"It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming,
football's coming home.

<which builds into the chorus>

Three lions on a shirt,
Jules Rimet still gleaming,
Thirty years of hurt,
Never stopped me dreaming."

I don't know if you know, but Jules Rimet is the name of the guy responsible for the World cup, and the thirty years relates to the 30 years since we last won anything (world cup 1966).

Heres another old favourite:

"We love you England, we do,
We love you England, we do,
We love you England, we do,
Oooooooh England we love you."

Also, there is one we always sing to GEman fans (especially when they are beating us  ) which is a bit tasteless, namely:

"One world cup and two World Wars."

Which I guess isn't very funny if you are German.

So what you need, is some popular comedians to link up with a decent band, and produce a heart-stirring (but in a positive way) tune and make it a hit. You could sing it an any internation event where the US is playing.

I honestly think we should change our national anthem - I think it is crap compared to some other country's, its so dirge-like. I prefer 'Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves." Which is quite apt considering we our the best olympic sailing nation on earth (hehehe  ).
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

RDRedwing

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2000, 04:06:00 PM »

"One world cup and two World Wars."

ROFLOL
its tasteless, but I like it  

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
I was unsure how a German would take it - I've always thought you might get offended, but, then again, you have beaten us at football enough times over the years to have your revenge!  

I'm looking forward to England vs Germany in the world cup qualifiers!