Author Topic: The Blue Knights and you.  (Read 18370 times)

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
The Blue Knights and you.
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2006, 03:53:07 PM »
I can't give an opinion one way or the other as I can't remember running into any of you guys. There are so many who talk childish trash on 200 unless someone P.M.'s me or just goes over the top I don't note their game ID & I sure don't go look up the squad they belong to. On the other hand, if I run into guys that are just really great about being friendly I don't make it a point to remember them either, but they are usually nice in discussions later & I remember THAT.....sometimes.:(

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2006, 03:53:33 PM »
Okay, now I'm really stumped. Who are the good BKs, and how do they act in game? I never see the BKs chest thumping, I never see the smack talking, I don't see any banter that is on par with anything else you'd commonly see on 200.  We don't get personal, we don't talk **** about familiies, or handicapped people, etc. We don't fill the buffer with talk about homosexual acts, or degrade women.

Were I to post, in here, the things that I or any of the BKs receive via PM or private vox in game, my post would immediately be edited, if I could even find ways to spell those words without tipping off the filter.

I just don't get it. I can understand that there were always be rivalries and conflicting personalities, but nothing near the scale that's being suggest, and I just don't see how we could have ruined the game.

Anyone have a story to share, or in some way prove any of their statements about us? With the exception of lute, I don't recognize any of the IDs who've said we are the problem, so I'm curious as to what it is that turned you against us.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:56:39 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2006, 03:54:04 PM »
hub and his "partner" swapped roles....

hence his newfound emotional side and limp.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:56:23 PM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2006, 04:02:48 PM »
The BKs on the board have seemed to change slightly, or I have.  I remember nopoop's posts and relish the older posts he put up.  The 13th TAS and BKs were great squad, still are in their combined format.  Its just either my inability to laugh at the BBS trolls or just the percieved slights members of the BKs appear to make that make me rethink the squad in general.  

This is not to say that in game they are any different than they were.  They still kick my tail or if I'm lucky enough clear it.  I know that if I'm in the neighborhood of the BKs, I have to be quick about my kills or all I get is assists :)

My recent reflection on the BKs as a squad is mostly tarnished by the BBS stuff.  It probably relates back to the MOAT thread and the subsequent heightened awareness of the BKs postings.  I wouldn't say they're the bane of HTC's community.

I see the threads on A2A vs A2G fighting stills that are rampant and think back to the days when the MAW had 3+ squadrons and were very into the land capture element of this game.  I see the very same thing happening now, as the game gets new blood in, "new" ideas are rinsed and repeated.  This is by no means a slam toward the MAW squad.  If you take it that way, please accept my apology, your squad was used just as an example as to what I've seen.

After all that, the BKs are part of the community.  We'd be lacking without their input.  No single squad should be targeted as being the bane of a community.  Certain squads will be more vocal than others and stand out in peoples mind, but there are countless numbers of people who are the silent majority.  Just because they are vocal they will be more likely to have strong opinions formed about them.

Just in case you're thinking who's this noob, my old BBSID was dfl8rms and I have been a noob since 2001 :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:08:57 PM by forHIM »

Offline MrMouth

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2006, 04:04:27 PM »
Originally posted by Furball
hub and his "partner" swapped roles....

hence his newfound emotional side >and limp<.

LMAO at the edit!!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2006, 04:07:46 PM »
keeeee-rist ... hub has gone "Oprah" on us and I believe that Dedalos drove him to it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2006, 04:15:26 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Okay, now I'm really stumped. Who are the good BKs, and how do they act in game? I never see the BKs chest thumping, I never see the smack talking, I don't see any banter that is on par with anything else you'd commonly see on 200.  We don't get personal, we don't talk **** about familiies, or handicapped people, etc. We don't fill the buffer with talk about homosexual acts, or degrade women.

Were I to post, in here, the things that I or any of the BKs receive via PM or private vox in game, my post would immediately be edited, if I could even find ways to spell those words without tipping off the filter.

I just don't get it. I can understand that there were always be rivalries and conflicting personalities, but nothing near the scale that's being suggest, and I just don't see how we could have ruined the game.

Anyone have a story to share, or in some way prove any of their statements about us? With the exception of lute, I don't recognize any of the IDs who've said we are the problem, so I'm curious as to what it is that turned you against us.

ok, let me explain further.

hmm...

Ok, have you ever someone famous wears an outfit that looks great on them, but then you see someone in public wearing the same thing and it's horrible?  (go back to the spandex craze many years ago.  Looked good on the movie stars, BAD on that 300lbs grandma walking the mall)

Or better yet.  When I was a young lad, Steve Martin had a comedy album out called King Tut.  (yeah i'm old).  At on point, he stops the joke he was doing, and suddenly yells out "grandpa..... bought a rubber".  And it was funny.  It was the way he said it, and the reaction from the crowd was good, so my 6yr old (or however old I was, maybe 7 or 8) mind thought it was funny too.  I had NO clue what it meant, but it was funny sounding, so I would say it too.  Here I was walking around at age 6-8 spontaniously shouting "Grandpa... bought a rubber" to my parents horror.  I just didn't understand what I was saying.  

It's like that.  

I never said the BK's were over the top per. se on the chest thumping etc.  They are infact (in the MA at least) fairly "mild" compared to some of the stuff you see typed there.  The point I was making is that alot of the over the top, crossing the line stuff you DO see in the MA, are pilots trying to be "cool" like some of the "elite" pilots in the game.  The problem is they don't "get it" and end up just being offensive and rude.

Say some noob sees Jaxxo say something particularly offensive to me on ch200.  They don't understand I know it's a joke.  They just see Jaxxo tell Lute he's a (insert random insult here) and figure that's how it's done.  So the next time they die, the start spouting mean crud on ch200, thinking that is what should happen.

Y'all do have an affect on the new pilots.  Y'all ARE very vocal, and have a pretty large presence both in the MA and here on the BBS.  The new pilots will emulate ya's.  It's that whole "butterfly flapping his wings causes a tidal wave on the other side of the world" bit.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2006, 04:16:09 PM »
Lute: okay, presumably my bias as "one of them" prevents me from seeing it exactly that way, but I undertand what you're driving at. I still think our occasional outbursts are anemic compared to much of what is said, but then again, 200 is pretty mild compared to open chat in other games I played, while it's garbage to the smaller fraction of the community who remembers the days when they could look at a roster and identify every name. Suppose it's mostly perspective.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 04:23:16 PM by hubsonfire »
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
You guys are like an exclusive club. People watch you thru the fence but aren't allowed in. Whats more is they see, thru the fence, how much fun you are having often at their expense. That's going to, at least sub-consciously, cause some folks, especially those yearning for your hitherto unattainable type and calibre of fun, to become envious, contemptuous and develop irrational animosity towards you. It's just human nature.

I think you'll find that people and squadrons able to attain something approaching your level of prowess in-game tend to develop a sense of respect and comraderie toward you. In many ways there are the 'haves' and the 'have-nots' of AH in terms of skill & talent, the BKs are archetypically representative of the 'haves' so naturally the archetypical examples of the 'have nots' on the other end of the spectrum are going to feel threatened even without direct cause to do so...

Zazen

Got some really strong soap if you need to wash that brown ring off of your toungue.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
It's that whole "butterfly flapping his wings causes a tidal wave on the other side of the world" bit.

:lol i like that.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2006, 04:17:58 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
keeeee-rist ... hub has gone "Oprah" on us and I believe that Dedalos drove him to it.

Studios only 6 blocks from work, so no biggie.  

I was talking to him last night and he said something about his meds running out and his breakup with Jaxxo.  Not sure if it has anything to do with this.

Furbie, I don't understand why you were put in the same category with me.  Maybe someone saw you taking off on the first try for a change?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
honest reply.  (yeah, ok fine ya' hooked me)

I like many/most of the BK's.  They are fun to fight, and most are talented sticks.  I find alot of their humor hillarious, and I agree w/ NB that they add a certain "charm" to this game.

Here is where I agree w/ Ren tho'.

I think that many/most of the new players see how y'all act, and because you ARE such good pilots, they will emulate you.  So the end result is that we now have a crop of noobs chest thumping, insult tossing, and trash talking.  The noobs don't understand the humor in it.  They don't get the inside jokes.  They have not flown with y'as for years, and "get it".   All they see is trash talk, insults and chest thumping, so they in turn do the same, no quite knowing the humor in it.    

I seriously don't think the BK's understand the influence they have on new players.  And over time, because of that influence, we now have a large chunk of pilots smack talking, chest thumping, insult tossing and being disruptive.  Think of it.  Just how many players in AH now act BK'ish when flying, or on the BBS?  

Tons.

The new pilots have not read countless thousands of posts by BK's and understand the humor.  They have not fought y'all hundreds of times and "get" the ch200 banter y'all toss out after a fight.  All they see are some of the best pilots in the game, and how they act, and figure that's how the "cool" people act.

Ok, dont rambling.  my 2 cents.

BK's.

I won't deny that any BK is capable, and has at times carried on as described, but I fail to believe that it is consistent enough for anyone to believe that this is a trait of the BK squad and thats what "cool" people do.

I have seen CH 200 hatefull diatribes, by the same unsaid individuals, on a consistent basis, who seem to get away with it constantly. These are the ones that I think cause more damage and set a bad precedent for the newer players.

Smack talking, chest thumping, insult tossing and being disruptive ... everyone will cross these barriers sometime during their tenure in AH, but the real question is ... is it consistent. I challange anyone to show that the BKs exhibit these actions/emotions on a consistent basis within the MA.

What I typically see is friendly banter or friendly finger poking by BK pilots. The friendly finger poking is more than likely understood by who is getting poked, but may be mis-understood by those who don't know the history of the two individuals or intent of the poking when they see it in the text buffer.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2006, 04:19:38 PM »
ded, not until someone cuts off both of my arms and gouges out both of my eyes with ice cream scoops will i be in the same catagory as you.

get some rank and then smack talk, tard.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Gee, thanks Slapshot and Fur; you've really contributed a great deal toward a tightly-knit, tolerant, and fun-loving community.

*******es.

Lute: okay, presumably my bias as "one of them" prevents me from seeing it exactly that way, but I undertand what you're driving at. I still think our occasional outbursts are anemic compared to much of what is said, but then again, 200 is pretty mild compared to open chat in other games I played, while it's garbage to the smaller fraction of the community who remembers the days when they could look at a roster and identify every name. Suppose it's mostly perspective.

:(
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2006, 04:24:08 PM »
Edited out of respect for your having actually contributed, Slap.
mook
++Blue Knights++