Author Topic: June 1944 Philippine Sea Land Based Unit Info?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
June 1944 Philippine Sea Land Based Unit Info?
« on: December 19, 2000, 04:38:00 PM »
Hi Guys!

I am doing some research on the Battle of the Philippine Sea, aka the "Marianas Turkey Shoot". This information would potentially be used in designing a scenario.

Specifically, I can find quite a bit of detailed information concerning both the American and Japanese carrier forces (and other naval units) and the aircraft allocated to each side.

However, information pertaining to the Japanese Land based aircraft is decidedly lacking.  From various books and websites, I can find that approximately 500 aircraft were based in the Marianas Island Chain (Guam, Rota, Tinian, Saipan), or other nearby islands (Caroline Islands, Yap, Paulau, and Iwo Jima).

I can also determine that these forces were under the command of Vice Admiral K. Kukuda, who commanded naval aviation in the Central Pacific from his base on Tinian.

I can also find vague references to land based A6M5 Zero's, G4M "Betty"'s, and even one to the P1Y2 "Frances".

I was wondering if any of you had any information, or could point me to information, on specific units assigned to these areas during this period, and what kinds/numbers of aircraft they flew.

I was also wondering if there were any Japanese Army Air Force Units assigned to this area, and if so, I would be interested in finding similar information.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2000, 05:05:00 PM »
I do know that the vast majority of IJA pilots that we shot down were trainees.

The IJA had not expected us to advance that fast and were in the process of training many replacement pilots.

That is one, very big, reason why it was a Turkey Shoot.  They weren't intended to be in combat yet.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2000, 05:44:00 PM »
 Will try to dig up as much info as I can Verm. In the meantime, might I show you one of two scenarios Dok Gonzo never got a chance to do? One was a Stalingrad scenario, the other was
 http://www.concentric.net/~Msmiller/AW/scenarios/mar/

-Westy

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2000, 06:54:00 PM »
 I suggest these pages for anyone looking for maps/info for scenario recreations.  

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/dhistorymaps/WWIIPages/WWIIPacific/WWIIAToC.htm

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
I don't think there was any land based aircraft involved. None I can find reference to anyway. Here is a good on-line site with lots of details:
 http://www.odyssey.dircon.co.uk/philippinesea.htm

-Westy