Author Topic: Would you like to help paint a Warbird??? Win free stuff!  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Would you like to help paint a Warbird??? Win free stuff!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 09:23:07 PM »
First, how long do we have?  

If it's a decent amount of time, can I have a crack at designing a new non-historical skin?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 12:08:30 AM »
Does that mean that Ken Walsh's Okinawa based VMF-222 F4U-4 "White 13" has already been done?  

Otherwise I'd go with  that one as it fits all the criteria. He got his last kill in that bird.

I'm not finding any F4U-4s in those markings btw.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 12:21:47 AM »
Dan, I believe the EAA painted their bird in Walsh's colors...
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 12:27:29 AM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Dan, I believe the EAA painted their bird in Walsh's colors...

Yep, looked it up.  Listed as USN/13 on one site but the EAA site says it's marked as Walshs.

Hmmm.  Wonder how many squadrons besides VMF-222 had F4U-4s during WW2.

Making no claims to know much about USN/USMC birds :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline expat

• Silver Member
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »
Originally posted by expat
http://www.aviatorart.com/stokes/s-cours.html
This one ?.....:)

not an F4u-4

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »
Well, Bodhi, I see now why you've asked for help on this, images of F4U-4s with documentation are hard to find :)

I'd hoped +Tiff could help, but when he said he didn't have much I spent a little time googling. Here's what I found.....

It seems John Glenn flew the F4U-4 in China the last few months of the war. I found a couple of different references to that, I would imagine that in the case of a person of his celebrity you could find much more with serious inquiries. Here's a page from the FLIGHT JOURNAL website that mentions his service in this role. Also, here's an image from their CORSAIR IMAGES that they say is his aircraft:

I found a similar scheme from a MODELER'S WEBPAGE that references a specific aircraft number (# 81294) of VMF-211 and service in China. It has a similar color scheme as shown in this image:

I also found references to VMF-222 and VMF-223 having flown F4U-4s in the late part of the war. Here's an image from another MODELING WEBSITE:

However, this may not be helpful, as I can't provide a path to research the provenence of the scheme, and I see two problems. One is the red stripe in the center of the white fields adjacent to the star - my understanding is that was a post-war development of the insignia. Also, there's a photograph of a similarly-colored bird out there HERE that as you can see doesn't have the correct squadron emblem on the nose:

I haven't pinned it down, but I bet that photo is of a restored bird which would mean you probably wouldn't want to go that route.

I think the John Glenn thing would add a nice cachet to your project and recommend you investigate this further, which shouldn't be very hard.

I hope some of this helps. If you use any idea here, contribute the money for the AH subscription to the cause of your choice.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 09:49:14 AM »
keep at it....

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
I have a picture of an xf4u-4 (BuNo 80760) The engine cowling is trimmed in red, black and yellow checker board  . i do not have a scanner , but its on PG 33 of F4U CORSAIR in action of squadron /signal publications . There a maybe 8 pic's of other WWII -4's , but most of the others are pretty plain .

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 12:22:11 PM »
Meatwad, I think you missed what Bodhi is asking for.

He doesn't want a paint scheme from an existing warbird so any of those photos of current warbirds won't work..  And he doesn't want a postwar bird.  Any of those with the red line in the star and bar are postwar.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
Presume based out of Okinawa in 1945 Looks like it has some green on it over the blue.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:00:41 PM by Waffle »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 02:33:11 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Meatwad, I think you missed what Bodhi is asking for.

He doesn't want a paint scheme from an existing warbird so any of those photos of current warbirds won't work..  And he doesn't want a postwar bird.  Any of those with the red line in the star and bar are postwar.

Thanks Dan....