Author Topic: Take off and taxing problems.  (Read 352 times)

Offline debonodaniel

• Zinc Member
Take off and taxing problems.
« on: April 09, 2006, 06:51:56 AM »
Hey,
 I'm having problems with taking off and taxing, the plane is always turning, from the beging the rudders and aerlions are not in the center i set them in the middle but as soon as i give trottle the plane turns around. I tried lot's of options and double checked the joystick calibrations and buttons. What's the problem please help!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 07:08:31 AM »
The "problem" is the accurate model AH has for engine and propeller torque effects.

Simply put, the rotation of your propeller pulls your plane sideways.

To counter this effect - which is most noticable when on the ground - do this:

Pull back your stick 1/4 to 1/2 when you taxi. This locks your tailwheel and keeps your plane straight at low speeds. When you picked up some speed (about 50 mph - this speed depends a bit on the plane) on takeoff, you can slowly relax the stick back to center position so you wont lift off the ground too early. Now use RUDDER (either on JS or A and D keys on keyboard) to keep the plane on the runway.

If you use keyboard for rudder control, youll need to center the rudder again once youre wheels up (S key).

Ailerons are no use when on the ground. They make your plane ROLL (which it cant when wheels down). In the air, when turning you BANK your plane to the side you want to turn to (AILERON) and then PITCH the nose up to make the actualy turn (ELEVATOR).
Here is an article taken from SimHQ on how and when to use RUDDER in the air.

So in a nutshell: On the ground: Rudder, in the air: Aileron/Elevator to "steer" your plane.

Check out Net Aces and SimHQ for more detailed descriptions of torque effects and the physics behind it, as well as writeups on takeoff and landing and Air Combat.

Welcome to Aces High :).

Edit: Make sure your stick is calibrated correctly. Also, switch on "Auto Combat Trim" in SETUP > PREFERENCES > FLIGHT - Combat trim will trim your plane for level flight automatically. While youre there, do yourself a favor and turn off the "Stall Limiter" - it will make control of the plane a little more difficult at first, but in the long run, stall limiter REALLY hurts your plane performance and will keep you from winning many a fight.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 07:18:23 AM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:24:22 AM »
Don't forget the P factor thing, and I think there is one other force besides torque (turbulance from prop that pushes sideways on the back of the plane) :)  But Schatzi is right, and always gives good advice.  

You need a rudder control, like pedals, or twisty stick.  If you don't have these, your best off to turn on auto-takeoff.   You will be pulled both right and left at different times on takeoff due to the factors.  With a little practice, it will almost become automatic.  Pull the stick half way back to lock the tail wheel, but then let up on this once you get rolling so your aircraft doesn't come off the ground too soon and stall.

For CV takeoffs, I don't lock the wheel.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 01:01:50 PM »
also make sure you don't run into that flak gun that you can't see over ur nose:lol
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
Don't forget the P factor thing, and I think there is one other force besides torque (turbulance from prop that pushes sideways on the back of the plane) :)  

Yes it is. Its even a lot more complicated than that. And i dont even claim to understand the half of it - im a girl after all ;). But i didnt want to scare the guy off on the first post, so i thought id go for the "simplified" explanation :D.
21 is only half the truth.