Author Topic: New flight models for CFS2  (Read 683 times)

Offline wells

• Copper Member
New flight models for CFS2
« on: October 15, 2000, 02:45:00 PM »
Get em here!

New CFS2 flight models

They overwrite the default flyable planes flight model and fix a few glaring errors in aircraft weight, flap lift and compression effects as well as some subtle changes to yaw and pitch stability.

[This message has been edited by wells (edited 10-15-2000).]

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2000, 08:10:00 PM »
 Thx Wells,
 I'll be trying CFS2 for the first time tomorrow.Am somewhat baffled by the mixed reviews on this title.Most of the reviews I've read are VERY positive,others claim it's total crap.Having blind faith in your obvious knowledge of flight physics,I plan to use your FM tweaks and give this sim a fair trial.Have enjoyed reading your posts on AGW and AH forums for years.
 Thx for your efforts ,

By-Tor

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
Well, the flight models have good potential, but whomever made them, doesn't seem to really know anything about how planes fly except for hitting top speed numbers.  AH or WB it is not.  Out of the box, the planes are mushier than WB and fly as if they have no fin or rudder for stability.  You will need almost full rudder input just to maintain a 45 degree bank else it will roll back level on you (dutch roll).  I fixed that...

Yet at the same time, they were able to yaw over 45-60 degrees in some cases (the prop blast makes it worse), so I reduced the yaw angle a bit, to about 15 degrees, the typical angle that a thin airfoil would stall at...

When I first looked at the CFS flight models, there were cries of US bias and such, which I didn't really believe at the time.  The P-51 weighed 7000 lbs full of fuel and ammo, for example, which is it's empty weight, IRL.  Anyway, back to CFS2, I noticed the same kinda theme going on with the F4u and Hellcat models, so now I'm thinking they did this on purpose...shame really when they're supposed to be known for realism.  I fixed all the aircraft weights and compression effects.

The flaps made no lift at all, so I fixed that based on clean/dirty stall speeds in the pilot's handbook.  The landing gear didn't make enough drag, fixed that.  The F4u had WAY too much WEP (over 10 inches, MP), so I reduced that.  The P-38f was using 100 octane manifold pressures, so I fixed that for 91 octane rating.  That's about it!  Now, on to the AI planes!!  

SR

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2000, 02:37:00 PM »
Thanks , still waiting here for my copy to come   But got it downloaded , man I am ready !

SR

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2000, 07:21:00 PM »
Update!  Added the aircraft.cfg files to the zip, since they contain some FM info
I added Ki-43 and P-39 with checklists
 http://www.iaw.com/~general6/cfs2_v1.2.zip

SR

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2000, 09:10:00 PM »
lol , dang   got it ! I just checked my copy is about 3 hours away now coming UPS . So tomorrow I can see for my self finnaly . I hope u put this up for in the other forum  http://www.combatsim.com/ubb/Forum62/HTML/000202.html

I spread your word , work a bit yesterday   hope you didn't mind . Most thought they seemed ok , don't mind Pasha though  

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2000, 03:05:00 AM »
Thanks to everyone who supported my little project over the past week...hehe  It's getting to the point now, where there's not much more I can do, so here's the latest revision, version 1.4

Flight Models V1.4

jsciutti

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
Wells, help!! url doesn't work for FM. Please
email to : wsciutti@uas.capgemini.com

------------------
Jack Sciutti

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2000, 12:59:00 AM »
Thank you Wells !

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
I've heard people complaining about viewing system - how is it different from WB/AH/AW?

p.s. Jack your e-mail didn't work

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

SR

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2000, 07:07:00 PM »

SR

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2000, 11:18:00 PM »

Views look ok here to me