Author Topic: T-Ball...Game 2 Report (couple of pics)  (Read 324 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
T-Ball...Game 2 Report (couple of pics)
« on: April 22, 2006, 09:54:35 AM »
Well...the AMC Pirates had our second game today.  This after our first practice last Monday.

One thing I have learned is that games are much much easier than practices.

At the practice the kids could not focus for more than 30 seconds at a time.  We set up drills to simply get them to try and stop the ball and turn and throw to first base.  This simple task was seemingly too tough for the kids.  The fielders wandered all over the place, the first baseman picked his/her nose while watching birds fly around.  Some even walked off the field and began playing in the sandbox.  My poor assistant and I spent the first half hour corraling kids.

Luckily some of the parents stepped up and after that we managed to break the kids up into smaller groups and add a bit of structure to the practice.

We had one injury.  In one drill we got the kids to play "piggy in the middle" with coaches/parents acting as the piggy.  The purpose was to try and get them to pick up the ball (which was supposed to be thrown underhand along the ground) and quickly throw it on to their team-mate.  One of our girls got a bit excited and instead of throw underhand hurled it right at Dillon, one of the little boys.  He took it right on his ear.  His dad was there and was helping us out and he did the right thing and after Dillon cried a bit he got him right back "out there" and playing again.  It is a sort-of "fall off a horse and get right back on" idea.  In batting practice Dillon, who is pretty small for his age, turned out to be an amazing hitter...so I put him in to bat at the clean-up spot in today's game.

Soooo...the game.

First of all...meet the AMC Pirates (although not everyone had shown up at picture taking time before the game):

The two kids not in uniform are mine.

Our team fielding...note the coach (me) yelling "THIRD BASE, THROW IT TO THIRD BASE"  on the right side lol:

Another one of us fielding:

Opposing team, lining up to bat:

Not very good pics I'm afraid.  My wife was the photographer, but she had two little ones to watch and they wanted to play on the playing ground off to the side of the school.

The Pirates did really really well today though.  We had one inning where we got the entire opposing team out with only one hit allowed.  When I called our team in from the field the opposing coach came over and gave me heck for not reading the rules.  He said that even if there were 3 outs the whole team gets to bat.

Unbeknownsed to him not only did I read the rules, I actually had a copy with me and pointed out that in line one of rule one it clearly stated that "We play outs".  The organiser was there so we called for clarification.  Turned out that the opposing coach was right and the organiser apologised for the misleading way the rule was written.  The "We play outs" simply meant that if a kid was out he/she sat down and didn't stay on the base.  All kids in the line-up do indeed get to bat.

It was pretty funny though because the other coach had obviously done coaching before and considered himself the greatest thing since sliced bread.  He was pretty shocked that I didn't just agree with him and bow down to his almighty T-Ball knowledge.  It was even funnier because our firm's legal council's kid was on the opposing team.  I gave him a set of the rules and told him what happened and asked his opinion.  After the inning was over he came over to both of us (coaches) and said "I have to agree that the Pirates' coach would have won that case in a court of law", even though his kid was on the other team.  Fortunately he didn't bill me.

LOL!

Great fun this T-Ball stuff.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 09:57:12 AM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 09:57:50 AM »
Holy crap.. In Bermuda you need legal councel for t-ball games?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: T-Ball...Game 2 Report (couple of pics)
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:21:32 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Well...the AMC Pirates had our second game today.  This after our first practice last Monday.

One thing I have learned is that games are much much easier than practices.

At the practice the kids could not focus for more than 30 seconds at a time.  We set up drills to simply get them to try and stop the ball and turn and throw to first base.  This simple task was seemingly too tough for the kids.  The fielders wandered all over the place, the first baseman picked his/her nose while watching birds fly around.  Some even walked off the field and began playing in the sandbox.  My poor assistant and I spent the first half hour corraling kids.

Luckily some of the parents stepped up and after that we managed to break the kids up into smaller groups and add a bit of structure to the practice.

Couple things to remember which you seem to have discovered on your own is when coaching the smaller kids. Keep the drills short , simple and done in small groups.

As you noticed. Little kids have a very short attention span.
The less time they spend standing around waiting their turn the better.

Stations running different drills is a good idea.
Small groups of 4-5 each doing different things is better then everyone doing the same thing and having to stand around waiting their turn.

As each kid completes one station. rotate him/her onto the next.
this keeps them both active and interested.
 And out of the sandbox LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 10:37:03 AM »
Did you teach them this "drill" Curvie? :rofl

Kids do the darndest things. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:20:16 AM »
Nice stuff coach! :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 11:58:46 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1

I didn't even notice that...lol

The one on the right is MY son.  LOL!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 01:10:03 PM »
LOL Never too early I guess. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
Curv! In a few more years, your team will be able to enter the "World" Series! :rofl

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 02:53:06 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1

well....the are "ball" players! LOL

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 11:55:07 PM »
Do they have lawnmowers in Bermuda? That field is seriously overgrown for baseball.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 04:16:26 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
Do they have lawnmowers in Bermuda?  
That same question was being asked by the English footballers at the 1994 World Cup hosted by the USA. That, plus why the bloody hell is it so hard for the US officials to understand that in football, it's normal for the coaches to sit right at the sidelines. I was miffed when they made Jack Charlton move away, when all he was doing was offering water to his players who were not used to playing in 90° Florida heat/humidity. Slightly off topic - sorry Curv.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 04:23:00 AM »
soccer

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:13:22 AM »
Hey Curve,

Good pix and it looks like the kids were having a good time learning cooperative functions instead of totally individual ones.

for stepping up and being a coach to the little ones. Great example of an involved parent making things better.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »
best part about t-ball is when 4 of the little crumbcrunchers run for the same popfly.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 02:35:38 PM »
Love the look of the player on far right in Pic #1 where is his right hnd anyway?:rofl

I'm on my 3rd and final year as T-ball coach, My 6yo started as Bat boy 3 years ago and alwys played fill in for absent players that year.  I've learned to pick my team by parent cooperation. By that I mean I don't care how well your son/daughter plays ball, are you as a parent going to help me control these 13 kids.  This strategy has payed off well, because most often the parents that are willing to help, are also the ones that take the time to play with their kids, teaching them to throw and catch.

After many rain delays here in the "golden state" we had our first game yesturday, it went GREAT.  My wife and I are both on the Board of Directors. This means we spend a TON of volunteer time preparing the fields,  taking turns running the consession stand, ordering uniforms, fundraiser candy, umpiring the higher division games, etc., etc., etc.  But that 1 game made it all worth while. The great part is, we have 15 more gmes to play! The kids are having fun, and we even made about 7 outs in our first game!

Keep up the great work Curval
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*