Author Topic: What Rooks do in their freetime...  (Read 2900 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
What Rooks do in their freetime...
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2006, 10:28:28 AM »
Two points.

First, nations have growth curves, just like kids. Only fair to compare similar points on the curve -- and I think its fair to argue that the United Kingdom's pinnacle was at least as impressive as the USA's. During the Victorian, colonial period of empire the "pink bits" of UK territory spanned the globe and the trade networks ruled the world's economy. Hard to top that act....

Second, the United Kingdom made a HUGE contribution to effective democracy with the concept of "rule of law" -- the idea that the law outranks the ruler. I mean, IIRC, commoners have successfully sued the King!! The fundamental assumption of the rule of law has pretty well proven to be necessary for successful self government. Societies that internalize the idea succeed; those that dont degenerate into dictatorship of one sort or another.

I've lived in the US my whole life, but dont think any american can rationally disparage the UK's value to the world.

though, there is that whole Ben Affleck thing to consider....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2006, 10:45:01 AM »
Pooface.... very true about the American-British friendship.:)

Forgive me if I came across a bit harsh. (just havin a bad day i guess)

It's just that I get a little ticked off when I feel that someone is belittling(msp) the act's of brave military men WHATEVER country (as long as it's allied :D )

I suppose in these day's when people are so quick to criticize our troops (example: Iraq) my trigger is a bit light. I realize that you weren't doing this and apologize if I crossed the line. The British action's in the Battle of Britain is DEFINATELY something to be proud of. It just goes to show you that the men that fought in WWII were a unique bunch of fellow's. :) These are the real HERO'S that kids these days should be looking up to: Not some drugged up athlete that makes billions of dollars hitting a dang ball or swinging a club.

I better quit now or I will go on for hours.:D

Bucky

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2006, 10:52:14 AM »
Simaril....Did you hear about the sequel to Pearl Harbor about the Korean War with Ben Affleck in it. He single handedly shoots down every mig in the sky! :rofl :rofl :rofl

That movie was a MAJOR disappointment.

Bucky

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »
Originally posted by Bucky73
Pooface.... very true about the American-British friendship.:)

Forgive me if I came across a bit harsh. (just havin a bad day i guess)

It's just that I get a little ticked off when I feel that someone is belittling(msp) the act's of brave military men WHATEVER country (as long as it's allied :D )

I suppose in these day's when people are so quick to criticize our troops (example: Iraq) my trigger is a bit light. I realize that you weren't doing this and apologize if I crossed the line. The British action's in the Battle of Britain is DEFINATELY something to be proud of. It just goes to show you that the men that fought in WWII were a unique bunch of fellow's. :) These are the real HERO'S that kids these days should be looking up to: Not some drugged up athlete that makes billions of dollars hitting a dang ball or swinging a club.

I better quit now or I will go on for hours.:D

Bucky

yeah lol. it's really amazing when you see the interviews with them. they all insist that they didnt do anything special, they just did their duty, incredible really. all my grandparents say too, that it was their duty to stand up and fight for their country, and i guess that's why we held out so well, massive public support and effort.

and about the true heroism, dead on man. you see all these guys even now doing their bit, and going out to help in iraq, yet we have all these whining tards complaining, and going on about antiwar, and that all soldiers are murderes:rolleyes:

really rediculous here in the UK, no support for anything anymore:confused: i cant imagine what it feels like to be a soldier thousands of miles from home, and have little idiots at home accuse you of being an evil murderer, despite the fact that they would give their lives to protect the lives and views of these people back at home. a sad age for our country right now, where people dont do anything but complain.:rolleyes:

gone are the days of patriotism in our country for the most part now, which is a great shame really, seeing as our country has such a rich history and culture, one that really is worth protecting. well, it's all been taken over by idiots, sleazy politicians and chavs (british slang, you wouldnt understand:D )

well, unfortunately not much i can do. you would think that people would want to hold some manner of integrity and class as a bedrock principle of a country, but it appears that you would be wrong now, it all seems to revolve around money and physical possesions:rolleyes:

blah lol, just started ranting without noticing:lol

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2006, 01:11:39 PM »
:)I'm talking about the COMPLETE war as a whole. If you believe that Britain would have held off as long as they did without American supply support

er, Britain was defended in teh Battle of Britain by err, brits? yes thats right, Then the Brits helped deffend Europe from the germans, but at no time were the Brits fighting for their own soil post battle Of Britain. We were helping defend the continent of Europe in joint cooproration with the Americans with bombers and British powered P51s (uhhemm)

By the way I'm a Brit who lives in the US with a yankee wife, so im as impartial as they come (world cup should be fun!)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 01:16:59 PM by Spiffing »

Offline Pooface

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2006, 01:19:09 PM »
Originally posted by Spiffing
(world cup should be fun!)

come on england!!!:D

gonna be a shouting at the TV summer i can tell lol:lol

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
"er, Britain was defended in teh Battle of Britain by err, brits?"

...and some Poles, Czechs, Canadians, Free French etc

..and Ben Affleck of course.:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2006, 01:38:12 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Not a good idea for Americans to annoy Canadians...they might just burn down the White House....AGAIN.:lol

I've no problem with that as long as they promise to get capitol hill too.

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
Spiffing......Ya not reeeeeeeal sure what the point of your post was but ok dooky.:aok

Bucky:rofl

Offline MINNOW

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2006, 11:53:03 PM »
Originally posted by Spiffing
(world cup should be fun!) [/B]

What's this cup that you speak of?

Stanley Cup?

heh:D

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2006, 08:11:24 AM »
Originally posted by MINNOW
What's this cup that you speak of?

Stanley Cup?

Nah...they're Brits...it HAS to be a tea cup!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2006, 09:14:53 AM »
The World Cup is kind of like the World Series....except that there are more than two countries playing (in fact LOTS are and many more were knocked out during qualifying rounds - The World Cup is actually the World Cup FINALS), the game is played by athletes and it is televised and watched by millions of people around the globe.

Other than my above examples it is JUST LIKE the World Series.

;)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2006, 10:03:22 AM »
According to Homer Simpson, Canada is the United States older brother that has never had a girlfriend.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2006, 11:11:09 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
The World Cup is kind of like the World Series....except that there are more than two countries playing (in fact LOTS are and many more were knocked out during qualifying rounds - The World Cup is actually the World Cup FINALS), the game is played by athletes and it is televised and watched by millions of people around the globe.

Other than my above examples it is JUST LIKE the World Series.

;)

Oh yeah I saw that, that Bulgarian guy's team beat the Irish.  Wonder what eny is for a broom anyway.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Viper9th

• Zinc Member
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2006, 11:28:22 AM »
Ah shut up you