Author Topic: What's a spawn camp?  (Read 966 times)

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
What's a spawn camp?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 05:00:33 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
yeah, and doing the weapons and perma-quad damage cheat in quake was sometimes the only way to complete the game, doesnt mean you won it without cheating.

Hmmm.... cheating..... Don't you think that's a little harsh? Like I said, there are a few things I find as lame, but I don't consider them cheating. Maybe I haven't been playing long enough, but the only cheating I've seen is cable jiggling (induced warping by a pilot in trouble).

Offline Goomba

• Copper Member
What's a spawn camp?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 11:10:44 AM »
Spawn camping, or 'aggressive forward defense', may be a lot of things, but it ain't cheating.

It's how the game is designed, it's a universally available tactic to all players, and all sides have the same awareness and ability to exploit said tactic.

That makes it gameplay, not cheating.

Like others have said...sometimes it may be lame, other times it's a necessary part of controlling the territory needed to capture and hold a base, other times it's simply part of the battle royale face-off at a really good close spawn, and everybody's just blasting away.

If you're getting camped, there are field-proven, time-tested means to break/defeat the camp, so don't gripe...just go getcha some bombs!

"To camp or be camped.  That is the question"  :D

(PS..IMHO, cable-pulling is a popular myth.  You yank the cable and interrupt the signal, you disco.  Period.  Lag is lag, and another animal altogether.  I have seen some stuff that looks like a cheat, but is really no more than a combination of lag, luck, game logic and misunderstanding of how things are processed in the game calcs.  HTC monitors for actual cheats and hacks, and does NOT tolerate same for more than 5 seconds if they ever find it.  If your target lags away at the most inopportune moment, it's just coincidental bad luck.  However...intentional discos are common for score-potato dweebs, and can't be helped)

Offline uberhun

• Nickel Member
What's a spawn camp?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 02:54:42 PM »
Spawn camping is good sound tactical defense. Vulching is interdiction. Porking troops is also interdiction. All these tactics are legitimate and necessary to win.:aok