Author Topic: To fellow Moscovites: a question about 'Stream'  (Read 380 times)

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
To fellow Moscovites: a question about 'Stream'
« on: April 21, 2006, 06:14:36 AM »
I have finally decided to break down and get a home connection to the internet from my flat in Moscow.  I was wondering about anyone's personal experience with MTS STREAM, and whether or not it was a good bargain for the price.  I am looking at their NEO 25 unlimited access account, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any recomendations regarding either Stream or another broadband internet service provider in Moscow.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
Re: To fellow Moscovites: a question about 'Stream'
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:46:01 PM »
Originally posted by emodin
I have finally decided to break down and get a home connection to the internet from my flat in Moscow.  I was wondering about anyone's personal experience with MTS STREAM, and whether or not it was a good bargain for the price.  I am looking at their NEO 25 unlimited access account, and I was wondering if anyone out there had any recomendations regarding either Stream or another broadband internet service provider in Moscow.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

You are in Moscow?! And not drinked with us?

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 01:12:49 PM »
In what district do you live? I live at Rechnoy Vokzal and work at Gagarin square. Are you a Russian citizen or a foreigner working here?

I don't have inet access at home, for sanity's sake, but if I could have Stream access - I'll definetly go for it, people say it's much better then you can expect. The only problem with "unlim" plans is that after you consume a certain ammount of traffic during one month - they switch you to 64k speed until next month. And they don't connect flats that have emergency alarm system or "coupled" phone numbers. I have a "coupled" phone, so - no Stream for me, and I simply abandoned that old-fashioned device.

If you'll need any assistance - feel free to contact me, I'll PM you my phone numbers if you want.

This world is so whoopee small ;) And our village called Moscow is so whoopee huge :)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »
BTW, if you're Russian(-speaking) - Russian flightsim looneys dwell at http://www.sukhoi.ru, http://www.gennadich.com and our home-place  - âââ.âáôðåå.íåò (sorry for Cyrillic, i don't post this link here).

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 09:08:08 AM »
Hehe, yeah I'm in Moscow.  I've been here for about 7 months now.  I live in the middle of nowhere (a 15 minute walk from the Altufyeva metro station).  I'd love to go out for a drink sometime, but it will definitely have to be on a weekend since I don't get off of work until the evenings.  I'm an American working as a teacher.  I teach English as a Foreign Language at one of the private language companies in Moscow.  

As for my Russian language skills, I only know enough Russian to survive and hold a VERY simple conversation, but I am hoping to start taking lessons again in the next few months.

If anyone is interested in meeting up with me, you can email me at: emodin1@yahoo.com.

Anyway, thanks for the responses :)

Offline Estel

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 09:15:59 AM »
As for my Russian language skills, I only know enough Russian to survive and hold a VERY simple conversation

As we know :-) And it's a fact :-) After one liter of Vodka it's not important do you speak russian or not. Because you will speak russian anyway.

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 06:49:13 AM »
I have noticed that my Russian pronunciation and vocabulary tends to improve on par with how much vodka I drink :)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 04:51:26 AM »
I have noticed that my Russian pronunciation and vocabulary tends to improve on par with how much vodka I drink :)

It's true with any foreign language :)

Altufyevo is one of the most distant places in the whole city, but only 15min on foot from underground is good... And Altufyevo is very nice compared to some proletarian horror-valley in the South-East populated by drunk unemployed Slavs and drug-dealing Caucasian highlanders from Cherkizovo bazar.

Do you teach on language courses or at school? I hope it's not "American English Center"? ;)

We have a nice and quite big flightsim crowd here, I think some people meet in a bar every week, with mass parties celebrating birthdays or meeting visitors from other cities.

I think I'm busy this weekend, going to the forest for May day, maybe we can meet later, on Victory day there will be some kind of meeting, could be nice to meet you.

Just in case - my Msk phone number is 109-6453 (I think I posted it here everal times already).

What is your impression about our Big Village? It's always interesting to listen to a foreigner's view, you see many things that we got used to... Where are you from in the US? We all definetly look insane in your eyes with our habits, attitude to laws and pathetic irresponsibility :D

Offline emodin

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 04:02:34 AM »
Nah, I teach at a school called 'BKC.'  As I understand it, it was one of the first English schools opened in Russia (right after the fall of the Soviet Union).

I love Moscow and Russia in general. I lived in St Petersburg for 4 months last winter while I was taking Russian language lessons.  Obviously there are a lot of differences, but there are some similarities as well (and too numerous to mention right now).

I lived mainly in San Francisco and the SF Bay Area before coming here.  

Anyway, I am probably going to be pretty busy next weekend, but you can reach me at 409-47-59.

Have a good one.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »
Hey how's it going?

Machine is working great, thanks again, stay safe becarefull drinking with the Russians, many a good liver have gone down in flames trying to outdrink a Russian, lol.  ;)
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 03:26:26 AM »
Always wanted to see Moscow. It's just so far :(
And watch it, - don't drink with Fins either....or Icelanders.

Terrible bunch....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)