Author Topic: Interested in 9x XP Dual Boot  (Read 659 times)

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
Interested in 9x XP Dual Boot
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 06:45:40 AM »
Question,

My father wants to build a new computer, but he wants to keep his old harddrive with all the "junk" on it.

Can he build out a new computer, get another XP license, and then just plug in the old harddrive?  would this be a "dual boot" computer?

Would the old harddrive and its copy of XP etc... work on the new pc?

Thanks,

Balsy

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 08:17:04 AM »
No it wouldn't be a dual boot.
To have a dual boot system you have to install 2 different operating systems into the same computer on separate partitions or drives.  Install oldest OS first.  It is possible to have 95, 98, 2000, xp & linux all booting on the same system. Just takes a lot of work. (Helps if you enjoy that kind of tinkering)

There are a couple of ways to do what you want.

First off when you build a new computer you really want to start with a clean (preferably new) formated, partitioned hard drive.  Then install windows, then motherboard drivers, directx, usb drivers etc. Then video, sound dvd what have you.

Once all that is done, you have the choice of

A hook the 2nd "old" drive up as a slave, either manually copy, use hd utility's to "disk copy" or otherwise copy the info on the "old" drive to a clean partition on the new drive.

B Hook the "Old" drive up as slave & leave it there.

Either way I'm afraid your looking at a new copy of XP, unless your a pirate & are willing to  cheat, lie or otherwise bend the rules.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:20:19 AM by Ghosth »

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 08:41:04 AM »
IF the old drive is hooked up as a slave, all the programs etc.. would still be able to be run off  of it?

Thanks Ghosth,

Balsy

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 05:04:45 PM »
Ok folks, Frankenpute lives...even got my sound card working. Windows 98se still won't recognize my Ch F16 Combatstick no matter what I do. It works in XP, (although not programmable of course). Any ideas? Thx, az

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
If you want the CH gear to work in XP, go to the CH website and download the analog drivers here:

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/tech_support_pc.html

Its not perfect.  For the speedkeys stuff, ask AKAK.  He is the resident expert and can tell you how to make it work under XP.  Its a booger but it can be done.  I just have the basic analog stick and Pro pedals, with the analog drivers linked above.  My gear works just like it did in Win98.

Also, those drivers will work for 98 and ME as well.

A note on your SBLive! soundcard in Win98 ..........

I've found the drivers they shipped for 98 were corrupt on the CD.  Or at least they dont work with any computer I've had in the last 4 years.  Try using the XP WMD drivers.  The Live! soundcard was really designed for XP.  If you use the WMD drivers it warns you may experience an impact on system performance while gaming.  So it tells you to install the VXD drivers designed for 98 instead.  Then it says some applications wont work right if you use the VXD drivers.  Arrrgh!  Again though, I never could get the VXD drivers to work at all, so try using the WMD drivers.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 06:12:17 PM »
Just wanted to say thx to all the folks who have helped in this endeavor.

As it turns out I stumbled, (backed bellybutton first) into a way to get Windows XP to recognize Speedkeys. It's so simple as to be incredible. I'm sure others have figured this out but have not found it mentioned in a years worth of research.
Thx again, , az

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2006, 12:44:26 PM »
Aztec, what was the solution?  I've looked and whatever trick you've found hasn't been posted about on the net by others.  (I'm assuming that if you got XP to recognize Speedkeys you're able to program your CH gear with it too)

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2006, 02:20:24 PM »
Right click on the speedkeys.exe, select properties, then Compatibility. XP will run speedkeys that way.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2006, 02:42:32 PM »
I'll try it.   Thanks!

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 04:13:14 PM »
Doh, left out "Check the box for 'Run this program in Compatibility Mode for' , then select Windows 95."

This works on my system anyway, I just need to find a gameport throttle now, and then... I shall rule the world. Or, realistically, maybe just have a throttle and some more buttons. Close enough.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech