Author Topic: Friday, 5/5/2006. Got my ticket punched...  (Read 417 times)

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
Friday, 5/5/2006. Got my ticket punched...
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:10:07 PM »
Wooohoo!  Clear the air!   Glovester got his Private Ticket punched.  As of that day, I are a pilot.  WOOOT!!!!

Been a long time in coming.  The nerves weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but man did it seem to take forever.  Had a 10 kt direct crosswind to deal with too.

Hub, if ya see a guy flying a 150 over C-ville mooning ya, guess who!  :D

Glove

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:21:55 PM »
Congratulations Gloves!

as I run about gathering the women and children to get them to the bombshelter

I bet your a heck of a pilot.  

alright, everyone wait until you hear that screaming engine sound disappear before opening the door.  It will either slowly fade out, or stop abruptly

and WTG!!  :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »
w00t!  Congratulations!

Now read 'The Killing Zone', it's a book for how a low time pilot can survive to be a high time pilot, I highly recommend it.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline dmf

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 08:23:27 PM »
Congratulations Gloves, your better than me. The only way I'll ever fly is in AH LOL (scared of heights)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:47:44 PM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
w00t!  Congratulations!

Now read 'The Killing Zone', it's a book for how a low time pilot can survive to be a high time pilot, I highly recommend it.

Never heard of that book, sounds like its worth a looksey

How's your Cozy coming along?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
sloooowly.

After the flyin this weekend though (that I wrote about in my "heading south" thread yesterday) it's about to speed up a lot.  I'll be keeping my eyes open for another Cozy to buy that's further along (saves time and money usually, apparently) but I'm heading to Kinkos today to see if they can print out a full size plot I found on the intarweb to make cutting the bulkheads easier.

I are have been done inspired, 200mph on the downwind in a LongEZ sure helped!

It was also nice to actually sit in a Cozy and find out that I fit!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »
That's really cool.

I'm arm-deep in electronics, servos and motor controllers for the robot project now.  I'm having fun, learning a lot...even tho those buggers aint cheap.

I got some photos from the gent who now owns my BD-5.  Its doing taxi-tests for its first flight...he installed a jet engine in it and during run-up tests, cooked a nice hole in the asphalt  LOL.  But its all signed off and ready to go.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »
Nice.  The BD-5 is one of the most efficient devices for converting pilots into dead.  :D

I read about a fellow who has one whom the Navy hires to simulate a cruise missile for training.  He blasts in at a ship at a designated time right above the waves flying a cruise missile attack profile with roughly the same radar signature and everything.

Sweet work if you can get it.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 08:51:28 PM »
Yes, Bobby Bishop's SMART-1

Another famous BD-5 name is Corky Fornof, he did all the BD-5J flying for the 007 movie "Octopusy"

More info on BD-5s

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 10:09:14 PM »
The Killing Zone...How and why pilots Die...Gloves I hate to tell you but your inthe ZONE! GOOD LUCK...MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA..jk ...Read it, and make it scare the **** out of you...then learn from it...

Congrats though, its the greatest feeling on earth....I still remember my day perfectly...Scared as all hell! haha....well worth it though...Just after clearing the active the DE says "Mike...Congratulations, your the newest private pilot in the United States!...Greatest thing ive ever heard!

Go on and get your instrument...Its a great gut check
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:30 AM »
Thanks for all the responses.

I'll definitely look into 'The Killing Zone'.  Kinda figured I might be in some type of zone.  Newb pilot with restrictions lifted can probably find more ways than I can count to get into trouble.

Glove

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 10:24:12 AM »
The book is fascinating, it says that you're a safer pilot right now then you will be in 20 hours unless you take steps.  I don't want to spoil too much more, hope you like the book!  I'd send you my copy, but I gave it to another friend.