Author Topic: Downfall.  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 06:33:06 PM »
Originally posted by NattyIced
They don't have english subtitles and you watch it in German? How did you guys know what they were saying?
apparently some of us can speak and understand German.
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
Downfall.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 06:54:26 PM »
Any movie is going to have artistic license, this one is no exception.  But what it does very well, and has been stated before, is get the viewer into the mindset of the people in the bunker at the time.  I've seen the movie twice now and come away with new insight after every viewing.  Truely a great movie no matter how you look at it, historically accuracy or not.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Downfall.
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »
Originally posted by BlueJ1
Goebbles eyes freaked me out.   :noid
totally. :O  ESPECIALLY watching the fire.

i have to say, WOW what a powerful movie. usualyl i take a pass on some of the movies suggested here, partly because of das boot. call me weird, or whatever i didn't like it a ton. nothing special would be the way to put it.

now downfall...

that has got to be up there as one of the most graphic war depictions. though many of the shots of the carnage were breif, and fast, they were there none the less.

the scene with the boy and the blown off face of the girl

that isn't the reason i liked it though, the humanization of the people i think is what did it. showing the true insainity, and mis-guided thought processes, and the actual inner conflicts by them were amazing. the dude with the gernades.... the second he was going to stay you knew what was going to happen, but still he seemed conflicted with it.

eva braun was as psycho as that other chick IMHO. i never knew she was like that. i guess i imagined someone more like Traudl Junge, someone swept up into it, and not seeing or knowing the whole truth.

this is a definate must-own for WWII buffs.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 01:50:33 PM »
Fantastic film and a true insight of what went on!

I thought the interview with Traudl Junge was interesting too.  She used to think that because she was young it was an excuse but whilst walking down Franz Joseph Straße in Munich she came across the monument for Sophie Scholl.  She realised then that Sophie was the same age and yet she knew how evil the Nazi's were.  Sophie Scholl was executed for trying to highlight the evils of the Nazi's.  She was a university student.

I haven't seen Sophie Scholl yet but that's another film to look out for (was Oscar nominee 2006).
NEXX

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 02:36:52 PM »
Anyone seen this one & The Last Ten Days & Der Letzte Akt?
Which one is teh best?

Offline Hoarach

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2006, 03:47:18 PM »
I found it quite interesting how every german soldier in that bunker had a mp44.
Fringe
Nose Art
80th FS "Headhunters"

Secret Association of P38 Pilots

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
Downfall.
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »
Originally posted by Replicant
Fantastic film and a true insight of what went on!

I thought the interview with Traudl Junge was interesting too.  She used to think that because she was young it was an excuse but whilst walking down Franz Joseph Straße in Munich she came across the monument for Sophie Scholl.  She realised then that Sophie was the same age and yet she knew how evil the Nazi's were.  Sophie Scholl was executed for trying to highlight the evils of the Nazi's.  She was a university student.

I haven't seen Sophie Scholl yet but that's another film to look out for (was Oscar nominee 2006).

How Traudl Junge is portrayed in her own book or in others is inconsistent with how show was portrayed in the film. 'Most of the 'insight' gained from the film is inconsistent with what has been written by those who were there, like Junge, Misch, Speer etc...

Whatever 'insight' was revealed in the film was created by the writing, direction and acting. There were significant historical inaccuracies, not just 'artistic license' that affect how one views the film.

It was excellent film. However, as I said imho it provides no more insight into reality then any any other war film. It's just a movie...

Debonair,

Der Letzte Akt (1955) was excellent as well. The re-make The Last Ten Days (1972) staring Alec Guinness as Hitler, is not quite as well done as either Der Letzte Akt (The Last Act) or Der Untergang. However, I like Alec Guinness as an actor so I would suggest that if you haven't seen it then it's worth watching just for his performance.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
I was referring to the actual interview with the real Traudl before she died.
NEXX

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »
Hi Yeager

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Downfall.
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2006, 11:52:48 PM »
oui :D
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Downfall.
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2006, 02:19:29 AM »
I can't find Der Letzte Akt anywhere, but i liked The Last 10 Days, haven't seen Downfall.
Rave reviews also go out to hilter on ice, gay hitler, gay chinese hitler & boosh = hitler

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Downfall.
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2006, 07:15:16 AM »
I've still not seen this film, but waiting to get it.
Something of curiousity, from Bruno:

"There were significant historical inaccuracies, not just 'artistic license' that affect how one views the film."

What are those?

Anyway, as a sidenote, another great one IMHO is "Conspiracy", about the Wansee meeting. Not much viewed but a very interesting thing to see.
(Not a Hijack attempt...just a sidenote)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Downfall.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2006, 08:40:37 AM »
Is this movie on par with "The Grey Zone"?