Author Topic: All out Jam  (Read 511 times)

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
All out Jam
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:17:51 AM »
One of the biggest complaints I've heard from MA about AVA is the limited plane set.  

So here's a proposal.  How about using one of the MA maps and have Germany, Italy, and Japan on one side, and U.S., GB, and USSR on the other side?  No RPS, just allow every planes, vehicles, ships, available for their respective side??  Allow base capture just like in MA.  I know it's not historic as much, but it is what the name says, Axis Vs Allies.  Just run it for a week or two and see what the response is.

Sinker

storch

All out Jam
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:12:37 AM »
I don't believe that the AvA will ever have a broad appeal.  The reason why there are players that like the AvA are because of it's limitations and that in some respects the AvA is more difficult to play in than the MA.  If you want unlimited planes and cartoon world maps...well..... need I say more?  There was a huge clamoring for the RPS and it has largely been successful.  While I agree that it does start to become stale I don't think enabling the whole planeset for let's say the USSR for week would be anything other than LA7's v 109K-4s for that whole week.  just look at the current set up, we have fine and workable planes for both sides.  on the axis side you see people playing the 109G-6 through the 109K4 but very few players in any of the other rides.  on the allied side it's like the only plane ever fielded by any allied nation was the spitfire and to a lesser extent the P51.  the minute you spank someone in (or most someones) a P47 or a P38 or a P51 they run for the spitfire to get a feel good sortie and land some kills or maybe "get even".  That scenario is played out nightly irrespective of the fact that the axis spanker is already playing in a handicapped ride.  let's not even broach the topic of the perrenial 20k player whose idea of fun is the never ending solitary skill of cherrypicking fights which is only exacerbated by the presense of the late war rides.  these guys are usually in Doras, Ponies or P47Ns.  that type of play is usually annoying to everyone except the picker.  back when I was new I liked the late war rides, lately I'm enjoying the early war rides infinitely more because of the challenge they represent.  I think many of the "historical" frame of mind players hold a similar view.  anytime I feel the urge to play in a K4 or an La7 there is the MA ready and waiting for me to arrive.  I think it's fine that way.  I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your idea.  having posted all of that I'm sure the AvA staff will immediately run out and implement that very set up for you. :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 06:35:40 AM by storch »

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
All out Jam
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 07:04:41 AM »
WB had (has?) the WWII arena, which was all alied vs all axis with a month long RPS. And once a plane was enabled, it stayed enabled. Was great fun.

Personally I'd love to see a setup like that in the AvA, but I know that puts me in the minority.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
All out Jam
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 07:29:01 AM »
Originally posted by Treize69
WB had (has?) the WWII arena, which was all alied vs all axis with a month long RPS. And once a plane was enabled, it stayed enabled. Was great fun.

Personally I'd love to see a setup like that in the AvA, but I know that puts me in the minority.

I remember that in WB's too, it was always a good time. I'd like to see it here myself . You never know , it may get a chance. They've flown worse ideas in the past.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

storch

All out Jam
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:31:27 AM »

that set up would be fine. In many ways it would be accurate,  there were priority fronts that received the latest and greatest equipment first and war weary inventory spruced up then sent to secondary fronts.  In the axis camp the 109E/F & early Gs flew until the last day of the war in eastern europe IIRC.   It would be different if the on the first day of the set up
 the late war set would be available.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
All out Jam
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 09:12:34 AM »
I love rps and  I like the idea about the sides you have. The only trouble is like has been said..there arent enough planes.

~AoM~

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
Re: All out Jam
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:36:07 AM »
Originally posted by XAKL
One of the biggest complaints I've heard from MA about AVA is the limited plane set.  

So here's a proposal.  How about using one of the MA maps and have Germany, Italy, and Japan on one side, and U.S., GB, and USSR on the other side?  No RPS, just allow every planes, vehicles, ships, available for their respective side??  Allow base capture just like in MA.  I know it's not historic as much, but it is what the name says, Axis Vs Allies.  Just run it for a week or two and see what the response is.

Sinker

All due respect Sinker.....

NO WAY......

Good idea but No thanks....

DiD u say enable all planes?? We all know the consequences of that... and more that the AvA is not perked...we will see nothing but spit16's, Lgay7's, ME262,s and tempest running around..... It will be a disaster.... I regularly fly in the AvA  for a reason... and that reason is to have a sense realism....wat realism will there b if im in a N1kJ fighting an La7 and getting cherrypicked by a tempest????  It would be the same the other way around too... there would nothing but jet jocks running around in 262's....

There is a place for all that non-sense and that is what the MAIN ARENA IS for....

Great idea but NO thanks... :D
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
All out Jam
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 11:07:35 AM »
Id be for a "full axis vs allies" rps with planes remaining enabled... but never ever would I be for MA maps....

AvA maps are uber while MA maps suck donkey balls... no reason to bring em in here..

Tex

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: All out Jam
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 11:42:46 AM »
Originally posted by XAKL

Sinker

We've actually tried this, Sinker, in the two Fightertown setups we ran.  While each drew a large initial crowd, the numbers rapidly disappeared.  When it was All Allied v. All Axis, everyone flew the 1945 rides and it differed very little from a 1945 historical setup - except that it wasn't historical.  When we tried to divide the planes into early-, mid- and late-war, people complained that they didn't like the Axis v. Allied aspect.  When we mixed All Early War v. All Early War, and so on, everyone just flew A6M2s (or whatever was the uber plane for the period in question).  No matter what we tried, the numbers disappeared.

In the end, Storch is probably correct when he says that AvA will always appeal only to a small sub-set of the AH community.  The combined pulls of My Favorite Airplane, My Favorite Squad, and Arena With Greatest Numbers is just too much to overcome.

- oldman

storch

All out Jam
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 12:48:15 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Id be for a "full axis vs allies" rps with planes remaining enabled... but never ever would I be for MA maps....

AvA maps are uber while MA maps suck donkey balls... no reason to bring em in here..

Tex
donkey balls?  in finland!!! i though reindeer balls maybe but never donkey ones.  well u do have that smooth and pasty wmaker so i guess anything is possible :D

Offline XAKL

• Copper Member
All out Jam
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 12:05:52 AM »

I have never flown in WB.  How does WB compare to Aces High?  My Cyber training has been Air Warrior I, II, III, mainly flew P-51D and Saber Jets in Korea.  

Sinker

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
All out Jam
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 02:25:29 AM »
I used to like it better, back during WB2 and AH1, but its gone as far downhill as AH has come up.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.