Author Topic: Salute to the defenders at A30! (picture)  (Read 432 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
Salute to the defenders at A30! (picture)
« on: July 03, 2001, 01:22:00 AM »
Toad and others really hammered the heck out of my Lanc on one sortie.  Managed to get all bombs on target, shoot down 3 fighters and....amazing, make a perfect landing with this beat up bird.  Only had rudders and one elevator, no flaps either.  Filmed it!

Was a great evening of battle, gents!

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2001, 02:34:00 AM »
this pic also proves the damage graphics need tweaking. Though I appluad your flying skills, I don't think control surfaces break off that clean...<G>

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2001, 06:24:00 AM »
Must have been a handful... Had a similar problem with a B26 once. Bringing home a limping bomber is so immersive.    :)

Here's one... Wounded pilot. Damaged left aileron, damaged left and right wing. I had to cut the right engine to reduce the asymetric flight. Otherwise, it wouldn't trim.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Sandman_SBM ]
sand

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
While we're at it, let's trade some info about managing badly hurt big birds (no, this isn't a Wild Condor Preservation Association meeting)  :)

I'm a fighter pilot, but it seems I make all those dramatic happenings come true when I'm in a buff  :) I've been experimenting with some situations in damage and was wondering...

How would the management of engines come into effect under bad conditions? Once I flew a Lanc home with pretty simular conditions as LePaul's pic. Losing a single elevator made the pitch jump up wild, losing two engines both on the same wing cut out the power I needed, and the loss of ailerons kept messing up my efforts to level the plane.

I kept the pitch down using as much down trim as I could, and by pressing forward the stick as much as I could, but the slanted state which required rolls for level flight was hard to recover, since aileron was off and two engines on the port side wing was out.

To level the Lancaster, I sort of panicked and started to experiment vigorously with engine 3 and engine 4 and somehow found out the boost settings which helped the Lanc level and even smoothly attempt a landing.

I'm theoretically impaired in air flight physics. Can somebody fill me in with setting of individual 4 engines that would help out in specific situations?  (ex. setting engines 1 & 2 down and 3 & 4 max would help Lanc make a tight turn .. etc etc..)    :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2001, 08:34:00 AM »
30 was a blast last night!

I love that fast and furious fighting.

Was fun BD!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2001, 08:45:00 AM »
Great scren shot. I'm in awe of this terrain.

-Westy

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Toad!

You Bastid!  You did most of that damage, hehe, but then again, there was this ONE Spitfire, who even being pounded by two of our fighters, hung in there and threw every Hispano round he had at me before exploding.  He killed the elevator, and engines 3, 4 and right aileron and the tail gun.  He mighta died in that sortie but man, he just tossed a big can of WhupAss on my Lanc.

Kweassa ,  my only engine management was "hope the last 2 do not fail".  The best I could do was slid her into base gently.  I trimmed the aircraft to full right to maintain a straight-ahead course but also lost a lot of airspeed as well.  Since the flaps were shot off, it would be a one-pass landing...and it worked.  I managed to get to 150 knots just at the threshhold of the runway, kick the gear down, and squeak her in, using a lot of differential braking to stay on the runway.

I agree with you, its really something when you can bring in a broken bird.  Its great to have the external views in the bombers to see what is, and isnt, there.  I understand why the fighters dont have it, but it sure would be cool to get a better idea of what isnt out there anymore.