Author Topic: WWII Online  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
WWII Online
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2001, 04:14:00 AM »
I assume so Jekyll.

On the subject of a June 6th release, the various stages of the game's development have been delayed and delayed again, it's only natural to view this date with a bit of cynicism.

But since it's gone gold maybe this time, hopefully, it will be different.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 05-23-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

SeaWulfe

WWII Online
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2001, 07:37:00 AM »
Well.. since it's gone gold doesn't that effectively terminate the NDA contracts?

So, what's the FM compare to? Closer to EAW or closer to ?????
-SW

SeaWulfe

WWII Online
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2001, 07:40:00 AM »
Also... Uhm, where are the Ju88s, He111s, and Do-17s at the least?

According to reports from E3, they only have a Curtis Hawk75, 109E, Spit MkI and a Ju87.... this had better not be all. Blitzkrieg was fought with more planes than those 4.
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
WWII Online
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
"But for those who want the 'feel' of WW2 combat ........  "

So far from what I've read that is true and it is the concensus... predominately of those who play troopers and use the vehicle.  There's been very few actual  "holy toejam I've soiled my pants this is so realistic" reports from those flying.

Just don't forget that the closed beta participants are the hard core, "been waiting forever for this kind of thing" group of players. They are , for the most part, very dedicated to testing  WW2O out and it is the reports from these completely biased folks we are hearing from.  And are playing it in the way they've imagined a WWII centric game/sim should be played. They're all Generals in training <bseg>

I've read and heard from folks who went to E3 and said things such as "WW2O sucks", "Doesn't blow my skirt up", "It's in no way ready" to an actual  positive "It could be fun"

However, wait till the doors swing open and the masses flood in.  Can you speak "l337" and also say "I 5n1p3r YOU!!"    

But how can you go wrong for $10/mo? As long as you do not expect a predominately mature player, you're prepared to see more dweebery than you can imagine  and you're able to feel connected to the community without having to stomache the denizens of thoer webboards.

Westy

p.s. as for the 'leaked' info from someone under and NDA. Guys? Clamp it, ok? Stop the assinine and pseudo-moralistic posturing. You know it will happen and so do the companies who offer NDA's to people sight unseen over the INTERNET.  At some point they even expect and want it. Friends talk to friends and I strongly suspect several here would be hypocrits to say they have not nor would do the same. I heard all about WW2O several times now over the past couple of months from friends who are in the closed beta. So stop trying to divert the subject from disussing WW2O and diverting it to a a witch hunt.

[This message has been edited by Westy MOL (edited 05-23-2001).]

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2001, 09:42:00 AM »
heh, I found out what 'l33t' meant, the other day.  

I believe the literal translation is: I am 14 years old or a sad b'stard.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

funked

WWII Online
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
LOL I just saw Rip's comment now!  Diseased minds think alike!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
Diseased minds think alike!

I resemble that remark.  Maybe it should be "Diseased minds stink alike!"

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WWII Online
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
I still have somewhere a text from WWIIOL's old UBB:
"Diary of l337 5n1p3r: Day one" and "Day two".
Those were classics  

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2001, 02:20:00 PM »
hmm, wonder how many of the l337 lil' kiddies will be taking to the skies in WWIIOL?  I can just see it now...  "wtf?  my 5p!tF1r3 wont fly!  all it does is swerve to the left!  d15 $#!t 5u><0rZ!!!"  
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
WWII Online
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
One thing really bothers me about WWIIOL. How do you simulate a combined forces war in an open 24/7 arena without any fixes command structure? AH gets pretty chaotic at times with all sorts of people shouting 'lets do this' or 'lets do that' then whining because not everyone dropw what they are doing to rush and support them. (Btw, why is it these people are also the ones asking dumb questions about basic keyboard commands?)
Imagine trying to organise push against a strongly defended target requiring infantry and armour coordination and local air superiority when every little grunt thinks he's Eisenhower!
Chaos? You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

------------------
Tjay of RAF 56 Squadron 'Firebirds.'
Getting better all the time.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
Supposedly, you gotta gain rank by completing missions before you get to post missions.  Newbie grunt can't post a mission, but veteran grunt can.  At first, the Rats themselves are going to be the Generals, along with those who proved themselves in the Beta.  From there, I guess they'll let the game system find out who's gaining rank and who creates good missions.  Of course that doesn't keep people from spamming the radio channels with "orders."  

Basically, it'll come down to which side can organize itself the best, and who's little kiddie snipers actually buy into the total team concept.  That's the side that'll "win" the war, IMO.  Personally, if the FM is good and there's some real strategy involved in coordinating things, I'll play the game.  If the latter fails, but the FM is still good, I'll just fly the computer generated missions.  If both suck, I'll just play AH only.  Not that I plan on quitting AH even if WWIIOL is a blast!   AH is fantastic, I'd just like to fly in a full WWII sim as well.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
WWII Online
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »

hmm, wonder how many of the l337 lil' kiddies will be taking to the skies in WWIIOL? I can just see it now... "wtf? my 5p!tF1r3 wont fly! all it does is swerve to the left! d15 $#!t 5u><0rZ!!!"

There seems to be something wrong with your keyboard - some of the characters are getting mixed up and it's coming across as gibberish.  

Offline Possi

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
WWII Online
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2001, 04:34:00 AM »
So all of here think the FL in Aces High is realistic?
No is not ,is a Katastrophe!!!
When you fly a Bf109 and Spitfire,you know what realistic is.
In AH you have not that feeling that you fly.
The Realistic Flysim in the Future is IL-2,and in know what i am saying!

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
WWII Online
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2001, 06:55:00 AM »
EEEK!

It's one of *them* !

From the Cult of Oleg  

[This message has been edited by Westy MOL (edited 05-25-2001).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WWII Online
« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »