Author Topic: HiTech have I got some good ideas here?  (Read 535 times)

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.aasvk.dk
HiTech have I got some good ideas here?
« on: May 11, 2000, 05:53:00 AM »
When I browse through these BBS´s I often find links to films recordet in AcesHigh. The film feature is a fantastic thing that makes it possible to share our experiences  with each other. But we have to go through a long sequence of actions if we wanna see a film, and people from outside the AcesHigh enviroment cant see the film right away.
I have got 2 ideas, but they both requires some hitech programming:

1)The "cheap" solution.
The easiest solution I guess would be to make an association from aceshigh.exe to the film-files, so when you clicked an URL on a website, your installed AcesHigh would launch right away and start showing the film. (just as when MS-Word start if you click on a *.doc file). That would make us insiders use the film feature much more.

2)The "expensive" solution
The best solution, would be to make a plugin for Netscape and MIE. That would make it possible for outsiders to watch the film, and spread out over the whole internet the films would be great marketing for the game. The plugin should have the graphix engine, textures and filmviewer from the game and nothing else. This solution is only good if its possible to take the parts directly from the game, without recoding them too much. -I dunno but I am sure that Hitech does.

------------------
GrinBird

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2000, 06:06:00 AM »
ohhh YEA ... PLEASE make a stand alone Film Viewer..

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2000, 06:25:00 AM »
I believe it's not realy a "Film", but just a recording of the Flight that needs the whole Sim engine...

I might be wrong tho' ...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2000, 06:56:00 AM »
I think SAW's got the right idea. A viewer would take a lot of development time for very little gain in terms of file size...

I like the idea of double clicking on a film. Also nice would be the ability to name the films, but neither is something I'd want HTC to waste their time on at the moment  

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2000, 06:59:00 AM »
You are right Saintaw.. its not films but a sequence of gamedata. Thats why I said that the engine had to be a part of such a viewer..
The simplest solution would be to use our normally installed AcesHigh as plugin. That only requires that the filmfiles gets associated to AcesHigh.exe and the viewer inside. A double-click on a film-file would then open AcesHigh and start the filmviewer right away.. That would be piece of cake for Hitech to program I guess.
Btw -Duma- ...its allready possible to rename the films outside AH, the viewer will show the new names and make it easier to find em again.
------------------
GrinBird

[This message has been edited by GrinBird (edited 05-11-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2000, 07:40:00 AM »
Post this in the Game play forum so that Pyro will read it.(Remember his post awhile back?)

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2000, 08:11:00 AM »
I think duma is asking for the ability to rename the files inside the film viewer, and I'll second that request.  Currently when I sort me films I have to make sure I've got pen and paper handy.  As I watch a film I decided if it's a keeper or not.  If it is, I write down the film## filename and what I want to rename it.  Once I'm done reviewing I go into windows explorer and renames the keepers, then delete the rest.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2000, 08:56:00 AM »
 In real life you would have to lug that heavy camera to the lab, get the film developed and then put labels on it  
 Good thing HTC implemented the film viewer through the clip board, not another location you would have to "run" to from the tower...
miko--

[This message has been edited by miko2d (edited 05-11-2000).]

Offline GrinBird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2000, 10:46:00 AM »
Okay I posted an edited version of my first post on the Gameplay/feedback BBS. Dont post more replies to this tread please, but post em in the Gameplay BBS.

------------------
GrinBird

[This message has been edited by GrinBird (edited 05-11-2000).]

Rojo

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »
Is there another possible solution? Specifically, is there an off-the-shelf program/utility that will run in the background and record what ever is displayed in the selected window?  If you have an S-video out on your card, you can record it to a VCR, but then you have to somehow run it back through the computer to digitize and save the sequence to an mpeg file format. I think this takes special hardware, but I'm not sure.  Since digitally recorded video is in common use, it would make sense that there's a way to record digitally what's being displayed on your monitor.  Anybody know?

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)