Author Topic: unloading G's  (Read 783 times)

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
unloading G's
« on: May 18, 2006, 09:16:42 PM »
Tell me if I'm right or wrong......

If I'm 200d off  going vertical and pulling G's I would need to lead more than if I was in a 0 G climb at the same distance. So many times it seems I have the kill shot but totally miss.

After reading a previous post it seems that when I'm pulling G's in a climb or dive I'm not leading enough.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
unloading G's
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »
Very right, indeed.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
unloading G's
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:54:50 PM »
Most folks will tell you that it's about twice as much as you think you need :)

I know in that situation in a hurri mk1 the enemy plane will be below my nose...so I can't tell if I am hitting till they level out or die ;)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: unloading G's
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »
Originally posted by stickpig
Tell me if I'm right or wrong......

If I'm 200d off  going vertical and pulling G's I would need to lead more than if I was in a 0 G climb at the same distance. So many times it seems I have the kill shot but totally miss.

After reading a previous post it seems that when I'm pulling G's in a climb or dive I'm not leading enough.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

First of all you won't be in a Zero G climb. You may unload but not got to Zero G until you've reached the apex of the climb and are just beginning to fall back.

A Zero G dive actually requires that you continually push the stick forward to maintain Zero G.

Unloading merely means you release all stick pressure. This is basically the same as just letting go of the stick.

Now to answer your question...

If you are flying directly behind someone at 200 yards and your wings are level in plane with his, and unload pressure after getting into this alignment, your bullets should pretty much go right to him.

If he moves a to the right or left a lil then you have to lead your shot to the point where he is gonna be when the rounds get there. Not where he currently is. The harder he turns the more you need to lead the shot for the same reason. These hard pulls and oblique angles are called high deflection shots and may be very fleeting because many times you can't continue to pull that much lead without blacking out or your plane just can't match his turn.

However, you CAN go into the training arena (TA) and turn on lead compute sighting and it will show you just how much lead you really need to make a shot. To turn on lead compute sighting just hit the control-tab keys. Then use the tab key to toggle (change targets) to the guy you are praticing with. A couple of aims points will appeaar. These aims points are the actual lead you need to hit the moving target. Get up and practice it until it becomes second nature and your kills will go way up.

Hope this helps.

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
unloading G's
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
How do you enable the lead computing offline?
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
unloading G's
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »
To enable it in offline mode:
clipboard > setup > arena settings > environment > arena settings > flightmodeflags

Double click on flightmodeflags, and a checkbox menu will pop up where you can enable the lead computing site.

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
unloading G's
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 07:17:53 AM »
Thanks Murdr

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Re: Re: unloading G's
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 07:36:15 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
First of all you won't be in a Zero G climb. You may unload but not got to Zero G until you've reached the apex of the climb and are just beginning to fall back.

A Zero G dive actually requires that you continually push the stick forward to maintain Zero G.

Unloading merely means you release all stick pressure. This is basically the same as just letting go of the stick.

Sure you can have a zero G climb.  G is loading normal to the wing and is a measurement of lift not whether you're pointed up or down or rightside up or inverted.  While you still have gravity acting on you in a pure vertical maneuver the G (as measured in the cockpit) would be zero and gravity is working directly against thrust, not lift (unless of course you're in a helicopter).  

The term "unloading" is sometimes used to mean reducing g load when you ease your pull but that's incorrect.   It more accurately means to push to zero G.  To get the full benefit you need forward stick (and trim) to zero AOA to eliminate lift and induced drag.  That's why you get the best acceleration rates at zero G (although you can have fuel feed problems).  Increasing forward stick in a dive is required because of increasing lift due to increasing airspeed for the same trim.  The answer here is the same, push to zero G and trim to maintain.  

Mace
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:19:37 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
unloading G's
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
To enable it in offline mode:
clipboard > setup > arena settings > environment > arena settings > flightmodeflags

Double click on flightmodeflags, and a checkbox menu will pop up where you can enable the lead computing site.

Murdr,
Don't you have to hilite the plane with tab or something too?
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
unloading G's
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 01:26:08 PM »
Yea, thats how you operate it.  You use tab to lock on your target, very similiar to the way you use quote to select who to gvie a check6 to.  That is for enemy planes.

For freindly lock you have to hit shift-tab to turn it on iirc, and then it operates the same way with the tab key.