Author Topic: New Controller Configuration Steps Explained  (Read 598 times)

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
New Controller Configuration Steps Explained
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »
Greetings all,

I've updated the setting up and scaling controllers with the 2.08 procedures. They can be found at

http://www.netaces.org/joystick.pdf

They are currently not linked from anyplace else on my site as I am in the middle of an overhaul and don't want to fix old stuff with links.

Hope it helps.
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »
good work, Hammer  :aok

alot of people need to read this, only question is will they?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 02:03:58 AM »
Thanks Hammer, that is really helpful.

But I am still all at sea: what are Mode 1, 2, etc. ? Are they like Stick Set 1 and Stick Set 2 in the old system? If so, how do I set up buttons to switch modes and program them?

I must admit this new setup is totally frustrating. After spending hours on it I am still nowhere near recovering the joystick functionality that I had before this  change, which makes the game virtually unplayable for me now.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 05:15:13 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

alot of people need to read this, only question is will they?

No. Complaining and whining is so much easier ;).

But its great to have a page to point them to and not have to type everything into text buffer bits.

>>S<< and big thanks Hammer!
21 is only half the truth.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 07:38:16 AM »
Originally posted by eh
Thanks Hammer, that is really helpful.

But I am still all at sea: what are Mode 1, 2, etc. ? Are they like Stick Set 1 and Stick Set 2 in the old system? If so, how do I set up buttons to switch modes and program them?

I must admit this new setup is totally frustrating. After spending hours on it I am still nowhere near recovering the joystick functionality that I had before this  change, which makes the game virtually unplayable for me now.

Yes, same as different "modes". Threw this together quickly and left it out. Will add shortly.  Thanks!
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »
Hammer, thanks to you , I am slowly, very slowly, getting there. I am close to getting all of my settings back, but there is one big problem. It's vox.

I cannot broadcast range or channel from my stick, no matter what I do. Worse, the keys (T and F12) don't work either. They are dead: whenever I press a button or a key, nothing happens, and there is no notification or beep in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your write up.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 12:29:58 PM »
eh,

Lots of my keys, even the default ones, ended up with no function assigned after the patch. Go to Map Keys and reassign them. If they are assigned and not working, then I don't know what to tell you.
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:54:02 PM »
My bad, Hammer. Vox worked when I went online and pressed "radio". Then and only then does the voice box pop up, and I can transmit.

As for the rest of it, I finally got it working after an additional 2 1/2 hours today (and a few last night). Thanks to you, I finally got a clue as to how to make a start.

I am delighted that it is all working, but man, it shouldn't be this hard. Others seem to be having more difficult problems. Fortunately for me, I have no hair left to tear out.  :cool:

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 04:03:15 PM »
Hammer, great document!

One comment I have, is to mention that an axis must be selected when scaling.  This seems pretty obvious and intuitive, but I missed that concept on the update.

Regards,

Malta

p.s. Modes are similarly intuitive, but you must map them to keyboard keys.  I use keys 1, 2, 3, and 4 for the respective modes.