Author Topic: Bare metal - How I do it  (Read 3212 times)

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2006, 08:09:10 PM »
It worked! I used the Stuka skin and it deformed the original skin! How come I can muck a plane up but not make 1 better! Over to you Krusty!
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2006, 09:41:27 PM »
Then it's all how you're saving these files.

You have a file in RGB mode, and you have to work in RGB mode. Do some work, whatever, create a new layer, paint bucket fill it with white (as a test). Then save the file as a PSD. After saving, flatten all the layers (layer > flatten image) then go to mode > indexed, select adaptive, 8-bit, Okay. Then Save As... and choose BMP from the drop down box. Name it exactly what the other file is called (the original bmp file) and click "Yes" when it asks you to overwrite, THEN click "Windows, 8bit," and leave un-checked the "compressed" option at the bottom. Then close photoshop (do not save if it asks, you already did), and start up AH. You SHOULD have an all-white aircraft now. Or, all white on the parts that used that bmp file.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:44:11 PM by Krusty »

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2006, 10:06:28 PM »
Originally posted by macleod01
I also just downloaded Kev's Bare Metal Seafire skin and have exactly the same problem

You have to extract mine into a folder called "seafire3" (without quotes).
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2006, 05:00:09 AM »
It must have been the actual picture. I tried again doing what you said and it worked with the correct skin. When I put in my custom one, it reverted to default. By the way, thanks kev, I never knew that
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2006, 05:47:11 AM »
Gradient fill... brilliant!!!! have to do that as well!!

Tex

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2006, 11:01:21 AM »
macleod, when you work on these things, save with increments, like the filename is xxxx, save xxxx_1, then xxxx_2, whenever you make enough changes that you think it warrants a new name.

When you go through the process to create the 8-bit bitmap, you flatten the image. That means that you no longer have any layers (it's all one image).

So, do 2 things.

First thing is save the PSD file before every bitmap you make from it. If anything goes wrong you have the saved file (not that anything would).

Second thing is, if you're going to work on it more after exporting (if you are using the skin viewer for example) make sure your history window is showing, and after you have saved the file as a bitmap, click one level above the "indexed color" in the history -- thus undoing it, and undoing the flattening of the image. You should be able to continue work from that point.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2006, 11:19:35 AM »
Thanks I'll try that. Im kind of putting it on hold for a bit. Im trying a much simpler (theoretically) skin for the B 26. I'll let you know if any problems arise, and the will, believe me, the always do

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
Hey Krusty! That C47 is FINALY up and going and i think it looks quite nice, but probarbly not to you as its my first. If someone could tell me how to get screenshots up onto the internet, Id show you some pics! THanks for all the help and thanks Kev for inspiring me to try Bare metal. I am now a Baremetal freak and totaly love it! Thanks guys!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
You can either host the images and link to them or you can attach them directly to the end of the image (only here in the skins forum). I'd suggest creating your own thread for it, but then just make the images 800x600 or less in size, and you can click the "Attach File" button just above the "submit reply" button.

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2006, 06:46:30 PM »
how do I find the darn things?

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2006, 11:36:51 PM »
Specify please?

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2006, 06:06:14 AM »
where abouts do I find the Screenies?

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
Bare metal - How I do it
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2006, 08:06:00 AM »
found them and i have a new thread up and going.  Would appreciate ur comments on it