Author Topic: Controversial Ki84  (Read 5069 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 11:22:42 PM »
I wasn't going for "ran out of paint", rather "paint was poor quality, and wore off across the aircraft, not just from foot traffic but from the natural elements".

I guess I'll try something else, then.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 11:57:23 PM »
Krusty, I think I remember seeing a color photo of a Ki-84 in an old PTO book I had.  The paint on most IJA aircraft chipped or flaked off from poor quality - this one looks worn.

Perhaps that approach would best suit what you're trying to achieve?

(P.S - I'm giving you a hint so you can finish it up and submit it :D )
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 01:11:49 AM »
You mean, with sharper definition? Like it's falling off? Less "blur"? I'll give it a shot. Probably won't have something new til the weekend, have to work on a 3D project until Friday.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 02:32:56 AM »
Little bit too much wear & tear mate, I would like to see it as close to the original pictures as possible !

But it's looking good !

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2006, 02:37:07 AM »
Are you sure the colour is right ?

Looks black to me, but then again ! :rolleyes:

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
Yes. I have one "good" source (Scale Aviation Modeller International - October 2004) that is respectable, and it states it is a very dark brown-green color.

There are also 2 decal sheets from Aeromaster decals, Eagle Strike Productions, for 2 aircraft in the same unit (one with red stripe, one with red arrow) that lists it as "chocolate brown". There is a third decal sheet from "Flying Papa's" (no idea how reputable) that shows it in a shade of dark green.

Finally there was one last decal sheet I found that said to paint it black, but in the same sentence said that some sources claimed it actually dark brown in color.

So I think the consensus is that it wasn't black. Majority vote :D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »
Compared to the last set of images, better, or worse?

EDIT: I realize it looks a little sloppy, I was rushed.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »
Krusty

As inspiration here is a picture of a Ki84 that Im working on... its heavily worn and I think it looks quite ok...

What I have done is that Ive made a baremetal skin that I then added a paint layer on.. on this paint layer I added a removal mask... so it really is flaked off color exposing metal..

Tex

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
Did you hand-paint the mask? Or is there an "easy" way? (lol, I don't think there's an easy way but I have to ask!).

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2006, 02:44:55 PM »
Its hand made but there is a way to do it easier...

I took a brush that has a square uneven shape and looks like a color flake... then I adjusted it so there was more separation, more scatering, rotated it to the right direction and then I enabled fading... air brush on, opticity about 60% and flow about 30-40% cant remember since Im not on that computer atm...

I used this brush to "paint" over all the plane lines... the flakes usually start there.. then once the entire plane had a basic set of small flakes I started with the crossings between the plane lines and made the flaking bigger there... thats where the worst flaking starts... then worked my way back on the plane from there..

Tex

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2006, 04:28:50 PM »
I get the idea of what you're saying. It's about as much work as I had expected it was going to be.

When I'm done with this Ki84 I have another one planned, as well. Hopefully it won't take me all summer to master this technique. I'd like to see both skins in the game.

EDIT: Question: would the wing ID bands not have as much chipping? Would the quality of the paint differ? Would that be more solid, and the green color be more chipped?

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »
Ive pondered that my self as well...

What I *think* might be closer to the truth is that squad markings and id bands where repainted more often then the rest of the plane..

Tex

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 04:49:24 PM »
Doesnt answer the question... but good for reference...

Ki 61 but its the paint that matters..

And a 43

Tex
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 04:52:21 PM by TexMurphy »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »
Very interesting. My eye spots two types of wear and tear. The first type is access related. People climbing onto parts etc. This is paint flaking/chipping. The second type is sun/rain/airflow related, and generally fades the paint over the wings and so forth, but doesn't really chip so much. Use the second image as the best example of this.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Controversial Ki84
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 05:00:39 PM »
very good spotting and that is what Ive been missing... the wings on my ki just didnt feel right...

thanks..

still I think it should be done though removing from paint layer rather then painting on something that looks like metal...

basicly just use a less opticity brush for that ware..

Tex