Author Topic: Head ons?  (Read 561 times)

Offline RBNme

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.v28power.com
Head ons?
« on: June 10, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »
Last night I was flying (for the first time in years) and I "think" I got a message something about "xxxxx has collided with you" (can't remember his callsign).

But I had no damage. How can this be?

He was coming straight at me and I tried to avoid. I heard no collision, and had no damage.

Just wondering if this is a fluke.

Jeff

Offline Strykar1

• Zinc Member
Head ons?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 08:46:25 AM »
Collisions, are a long debated topic, but from what I understand. The other persons Front End (Computer) Registered a Collision and yours did not. This happens because of Internet Lag. (Information takes time to transfer to the HTC Server from your computer, and it takes time to get information from their computer, even if it is only a fraction of a second.)

Other people can explain it better, but I hope this helps

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Head ons?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 01:02:45 PM »
If the message was white and said "XXX collided with you", then his computer saw a collision, he got damage and sent you a private message that he did so.

If YOU collide with someone, youll get a message "You have collided with XXX" and the according damage.

Yes, collision is a hotly debated topic :). If you have some spare time, get some popcorn and beer (or coke) and search the bugs and the General Forum for "collision" abd "ram model"..... trust me - pages and pages of fun, as well as explanations from HT why the current model might look unfair at times, but is the only reasonable one considering the net lag limits of the internet.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Strykar1

• Zinc Member
Head ons?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:12:28 PM »
See I told you someone else could say it better than myself :)

Offline RBNme

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.v28power.com
Head ons?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 04:13:15 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
So, then it looks like he saw the collision and I did not. Does this mean my connection is bad? I have high speed cable access without any noticeable problems.

I wonder if the fact that I was trying to avoid the collision has anything to do with the results..

Yes, I'll do a search as the subject interests me... :)

Jeff

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Head ons?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:43:33 PM »
To check your connection, on startup screen, click on PING DETAILS to see if you have any packet losses. Ingame, right click the map and select "Net Stat" to see variance and delay. Ping time doesnt mean much, as long as its below 500 ms. Its better to have higher ping with a stable, smooth connect then to have short ping and 20% packet loss.

Yes, you trying last second to avoid collision might have "helped" you. Your PC registered the course correction fast enough, but it didnt get transmitted to the other front end in time. Doesnt mean your connection is bad, as the "distances" of BOTH parties to the server are involved.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline London

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/cslondonium
Head ons?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:26:36 AM »
it really doesnt mean anything bad about your connection if u lose or win a collision.

when u connect to the aces high server you arent actually "connected"
u send small data packets to and from the HTC server a certain amount of times per second (which i would imagine would not have to be very much in order to accomidate the massive amounts of players online at one time with out to bad of lag)
if it is indeed a caused by the connection to the server then it only means the poor sucker who got killed by colliding with you sent his packets to htc and recived a response faster than you did. so i guess who ever has the better connection is doomed to get owned by the collision model.
but then again this might all be a bunch of BS lol.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Head ons?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:45:54 AM »
its not quite that simple, better connection does not mean you will lose more.

when you land on a CV and film it, sometime you can watch the film and you land 10 yrds to the right of the CV real possition. when you landed online your computer was receiving data that told it the ship wasnt quite where the HTC server said it was. but to make this fair, the game only corresponds to what your screen shows.

some times you can shoot and see hitsprite on an enemy and they see you shooting just off thier wingtip because your end shows them to be in a slightly different place than they are on thier computer. because you hit what you aim for on yur end, they get the damage.

same with the ram model. imagine if you flew 5 yrds to the left of someone and then saw your wing fall off because thier version of the virtual sky is not in the exact smae possitionas yours, it would really suck.

if you dont hit them on your screen you get what happens in real life only to you.

you both see graphic of flying through each other then you have a pair of perfectly sync'ed connections, and will both die as in real life.

you see a collision but the other person narrowly avoids it then you die alone.

the vast majority of pings, say all those under around 200 or maybe even 300, the varience will be so small that with bad collision you both take damge.

what seems unfair is that maybe the other guy only grazed you with an elevator while the tiny difference makes you fly right through the center of his plane.

it is unfortuately the fairest way, and infact an incredibly sharp programing descision.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]