Author Topic: Just say no to drugs  (Read 1528 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Just say no to drugs
« on: May 14, 2001, 03:44:00 PM »
Well the Supreme Court ruled today on the legal use of marijuana..and its a loss for the pro-marijuana crowd. I say WTG Supreme Court personally

Supreme Court Nixes Medical Marijuana

AP
The Supreme Court
Monday, May       14, 2001

Email this Article     

Medical users of marijuana were dealt a severe blow Monday when the Supreme Court ruled that the federal law classifying the drug as illegal contained no exceptions for sick people who use marijuana for medicinal purposes.
For the many sufferers of such debilitating diseases as AIDS, cancer and multiple sclerosis who claim marijuana provides enormous relief for the devastating symptoms of their ailments, the high court's 8-0 decision was a major disappointment.
"In the case of the Controlled Substances Act, the statute reflects a determination that marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception (outside the confines of a government-approved research project)," Justice Clarence Thomas wrote for the unanimous court.
Thomas noted the act states marijuana has "no currently accepted medical use."
Justice Stephen Breyer did not participate in the case because his brother, a federal judge, initially presided over the case.
The case was sparked by the federal government in 1998, when the government sought an injunction against the Oakland Cannabis Buyers Cooperative and five other marijuana distributors.
U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer, brother of Justice Breyer, ruled for the government. All the clubs except the Oakland group eventually closed down, and the Oakland club turned to registering potential marijuana recipients while it awaited a final ruling.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the lower court, ruling that medical necessity is a legal defense. Charles Breyer followed up by issuing strict guidelines for making that claim.
Voters in Arizona, Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington also have approved ballot initiatives allowing the use of medical marijuana. In Hawaii, the legislature passed a similar law and the governor signed it last year.
The cooperative argued that a drug may not yet have achieved general acceptance as a medical treatment, but may still have medical benefits to a particular patient or class of patients.
Thomas said the argument cannot overcome the intent of Congress in approving the statute.
"It is clear from the text of the act that Congress has made a determination that marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception," Thomas wrote.
"Unwilling to view this omission as an accident, and unable in any event to override a legislative determination manifest in a statute, we reject the cooperative's argument."
Advocates of medical marijuana say the drug can ease side effects from chemotherapy, save nauseated AIDS patients from wasting away or even allow multiple sclerosis sufferers to rise from a wheelchair and walk.
There is no definitive science that the drug works, or works better than conventional, legal alternatives.
Several states are considering medical marijuana laws, and Congress may revisit the issue this year. A measure to counteract laws like California's died in the House last year.
Thomas was joined by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Sandra Day O'Connor, Antonin Scalia and Anthony M. Kennedy. Justice John Paul Stevens wrote a concurring opinion, joined by Justices David Souter and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
The case is United States v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers Cooperative, 00-151.

Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2001, 03:53:00 PM »
Yeah good thing pot is illegal we all know it's not as healthy as cigarettes and alcohol.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2001, 03:55:00 PM »
you are right!!!! people who smoke marijuana are stupid and violent maniacs......thank god and our ever waving flag my safe, natural, non-habit-forming whiskey and tobacco are still legal.

Offline Macchi

• Zinc Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Oh yeah,
much more than dealing with peaceful boring dope smokers i deal with non controllable alcoholics who want to beat everybody around them. Much more fun, i agree totally.

Macchi

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2001, 04:06:00 PM »
Rediculous.

"Voters in Arizona, Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Nevada, Oregon and Washington also have approved ballot initiatives allowing the use of medical marijuana. In Hawaii, the legislature passed a similar law and the governor signed it last year."

So, does this court's ruling make the above null and void?

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
"It is clear from the text of the act that Congress has made a determination that marijuana has no medical benefits worthy of an exception," Thomas wrote.

ROTFL!

How many members of Congress are MD or DO qualified?

If Republicans weren't so tight assed they could pull that cob out of their sphincters.

I don't smoke marijuana anymore - but its a damn shame something relativly harmless <in comparison to alcohol> is illeagal.

Just like the rest of the "War on Drugs" policy this ruling is as stupid as they come - leagalize all drugs and tax the hell out of them, inform the users on the consequences of drug abuse and make em sign legal disclaimers when they go to the government outlet to buy them.

The war on drugs cannot be won - people will continue to use drugs regardless of how many laws are written or penalties handed out.

This would eliminate the organized crime aspect involved in drug manufacture, provide the users with drugs that aren't "cut" with God knows what, and save a toejampile of monmey currently wasted on feeding/housing them in prison - not to mention the money poured into government enforcement agencys that can't even do criminal investigations properly.

Its time for a rational drug policy to come out of Washington.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
sick people don't need drugs........

wait , let me rephrase

sick people don't need drugs that are not sold by large drug companys

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2001, 05:48:00 PM »
Oh no!
I better stop smoking now! I used it as medicine!!

Things wont change for me at all.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2001, 05:56:00 PM »

you are right!!!! people who smoke marijuana are stupid and violent maniacs......thank god and our ever waving flag my safe, natural, non-habit-forming whiskey and tobacco are still legal.

The only person I have seen get fired from my work place for violent behavior was stoned on a regular basis.  I'm sure it wasn't a habbit... he just chose to do it all the time.

How about everyone avoid the stereotyping and thus eliminate the need to blow that stereotype out of the water.

AKDejaVu

AG Sachsenberg

Just say no to drugs
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2001, 07:09:00 PM »
never met a violent pothead yet.  Sorry to say but it will be illegal for along time.  Do a research and find how many people die from drinking and smoking cigarettes each year and you tell me which one is the real killer.  What are the long term affects from pot?  I remember a study done inmy psych class in college about a group of 10 in south america that were studied for 30 years.  And they had no affects from smoking pot, and they were smoking home grow which was more potent then what we get here in the states.

Sorry but it will always be put down the loggin industry is way to strong to allow them to come in and start taking over there business, oh yeah you can make all kinds of products out of mary jane.  but we dont care it is evil stuff that makes us hungry and kinda goofy "hmm like alcohol yet more subtle".  LOL wouldn't want people suffering to feel better now would we?  

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
Phhhhh. Just make every drug legal and sell them in stores and beer stores. Screw them if they want to kill themselves. It's their choice. The government cannot control all drugs, and they can't bust everyone using them. Besides, like I said, let Nature take it's course. We have too much emphasis on safety and well-being in the country. Someone might say "Well, making drugs legal will expose our kids to them too!" You know, I knew what a joint was in 5th grade. Kids that are 10 know what drugs are. If they wanna try them, let them. If the parent doesn't intervine, it's their own proplem.

As George Carilin said: "Whatever happened to natural selection? The kid who swallows too many marbles won't grow up to have children of his own..."

------------------
semperfi

Everything dead in 30 minutes or less or the next one's free.
-Marines

[This message has been edited by texace (edited 05-14-2001).]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2001, 07:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by texace:
Phhhhh. Just make every drug legal and sell them in stores and beer stores. Screw them if they want to kill themselves. It's their choice. The government cannot control all drugs, and they can't bust everyone using them. Besides, like I said, let Nature take it's course. We have too much emphasis on safety and well-being in the country. Someone might say "Well, making drugs legal will expose our kids to them too!" You know, I knew what a joint was in 5th grade. Kids that are 10 know what drugs are. If they wanna try them, let them. If the parent doesn't intervine, it's their own proplem.

As George Carilin said: "Whatever happened to natural selection? The kid who swallows too many marbles won't grow up to have children of his own..."

a sensible view from the right  

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2001, 11:30:00 PM »
Keep it illegal.

My business will be more profitable that way

------------------
Von Santa
Staffelkapitän 9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"If you return from a mission with a victory, but without your Rottenflieger, you have lost your battle."
- D. Hrabak, JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2001, 11:52:00 PM »
How much for a quarter Santa?
and how good is it.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Just say no to drugs
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2001, 12:02:00 AM »
Bah! Should (re-)legalise LSD instead. Much more fun for "medical use"(just ask the CIA  )!