Author Topic: Energy fighting  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 09:39:18 AM »
Also want to look at rudders, when I put some rudder in, most of the time I end up in a minature spin for some reason? probably not going fast enough?

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 10:09:56 AM »
get this, my names hamish cameron and i live in, was born in, and support England. yes some of my family send me death threats during world cups, but usually emailing them copies of the Scottish teams results quiets any rebellions. :eek:

if you are forcing your aircraft to snap stall when using the rudder, you most likely are going too fast not too slow, and also over using the elevators. Obviously too slow will produce more dificult stalls to recover from but generally speaking most aircraft will be much more stable under harsh stick movements done at medium to low speeds than at high speeds.

these mini stalls could be the start of losing your forward momentum and shifting the planes angle of attack to the extent of you no longer flying nose first and at any speed, they are caused by one of two things.

1) pilot error; pulling too hard on the stick and combining hard rudder with full elevator deflection up. not using gentle flying movements more yanking the stick at either full deflection or centered. Having an inccorect flap setting for a certain speed of manouver is a very common pilot error, and huge creator of aircraft instability. poor experience of engine torque effects. and many more bad habits for flying.

2) incorrect stick calibration.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:13:22 AM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 10:15:24 AM »
Hawco

First of all... tonights game will end 1-0... germany will score after 12 min and then booore Costa Rica to death...

Second... the Spits ARE good E fighters the problem with them is that they turn so well that you tend to get bad habbits from them, ie flat turn when ever you wana do something..

Infact the pre renovation Spit9 was the plane I first learned to E fight in.

You can go about it in two ways. You can stay in Spit9 and use what you have learned so far, how the plane stalls and how the guns aim and work on not submitting to the bad habbits.

Or you can throw everything out the window and grab a 109G2. Problem with this is that you will have to learn to aim german guns at the same time as you which can be a distraction.

I dont see any other plane which a more suited beginer E fighter then the Spit, especially not one which fires 50cals or 20mm Hispano´s (which are very similar in aim).

Tex

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 01:51:01 PM »
Originally posted by bozon
Spits 8,9,14,16 are some of the best E fighters in the game. Lucky for us all most of their pilots don't realize it.

Bozon

The Spitfires are good E-fighters, as is the Ki-84, but it is a different kind of E-fighting (I consider it to the be most fun, personally).  To E fight in a Spit or Ki-84, you basically get the fight slow, then use slow speed manueverability and climb rate to gain an E advantage over your opponent, convert that to a positional advantage and then kill your opponent.

A more 'typical' E-fighter (as in the La-7 or 109) will come in with an energy advantage (either alt advantage or speed advantage or both), convert that to a positional advantage, then kill the opponent.

A BnZ approach is somewhat different - typically a BnZ pilot will begin with an energy and/or speed advantage, but the emphasis is more on maintaining that advantage, not so much on working for a "killing blow" as it were.  This is why people speak of BnZ "passes".  The BnZ pilot drops down from his perch, makes a firing pass (or not, depending on how aggressive he is), then zooms back above his opponent.  That constitutes one pass.

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 06:07:29 PM »
Been in the 109 for most of the day, got killed, get kills, got killed etc, but you know what? I'm having a blast ! The big cannon is hard to aim, but if you get in close then you normally get a few hits, been working on low g manouvers while under pressure from other aircraft, some I've been succesful and others I've had my clock cleaned. I'll be in the TA tomorrow and hopefully see one of you guys in there and then I can get to work learning energy etc.
thanks everyone

Hawco

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 05:52:23 AM »
Hawco

Propably the most important sequence of a fight is the first sequence, the merge and the opening manouver.

This thread covers it really well... http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175388

You should read it.

Tex

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2006, 09:01:05 AM »
Some really good points there on the merge, seems like the more I read, the less I know....

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2006, 10:42:26 AM »
Originally posted by Hawco
Some really good points there on the merge, seems like the more I read, the less I know....

A simple point to remember; win the merge and 90% of the time you'll win the fight.

However, winning the merge depends upon exploiting your advantage or exploiting the enemy's weakness.

Beyond that, the single most important thing you must know is the full capabilities of every aircraft.

Which is why I advocate flying every aircraft in the plane set, both online and offline to determine those capabilities. Once you have this data base stored in your mind, you can concentrate on what you need to do to force the other guy to fly against your aircraft's strengths, while exploiting the enemy's weaknesses.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:45:44 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2006, 06:18:02 PM »
Debrief of fight Spit8 vs Yak9U.

First I do wana mention the merge. You did give up vertical separation without really pushing for it. (the linked merge thread).

When your heading to merge and your enemy tries to go under you, you go even lower. This means that if you have to scrape the trees with your behind, then you scrape the trees.

Instead of trying to go lower then me I think iirc you tried a roll. This can be a decent move if you have a extreamly lethal snapshot. But its not a good move since only way you can go is a split S or roll back and then go immelman. IF I remember it right you rolled then realized it was a bad move and rolled back to make a immelman.

Though you had good E coming into the fight and with the next series of vertical manouvers you sustained the E advantage and I couldnt really get in on you.

The interesting part about this bit of the fight was that it really was a "BnZ pilots transition to E fighting". It showed that you where trying to be gentle on your manouvers inorder to not pull to hard, sustain your E advantage while not BnZing.

This is good but you need to be more agressive. Had you been more agressive you would have had me there. This is the hardest thing in the begining, how hard can I commit without loosing my E advantage?

Also your manouvers where mostly immelmans/loops or high yoyos. While this is good you really neeed to start using the roll. By adding more roll into your manouvers you would have found the angles you needed to get in on me.

Im not sure which in this catch 22 is the real cause of the problem. If its the insecurity how hard to push or if its the fact that your ACMs might need more work.

Its not really that you go either offensive or defensive in a E fight. Its rather that you are offensive and defensive at the same time. When your riding that thin line and pushing the plane to its limmit then your pushing the envelope. You want to find the envelope of the plane inorder to know how hard you can push it.

The spit you can push much harder and be much more agressive in.

Anyways back to the fight. Since I couldnt get up to you I opted to dive out. First time you didnt take that bait.

Always be causious when a pilot dives out of a E fight. I really dont recommend diving after him because he will either a) try to force a overshoot or b) try to equate the E situation.

He can force an overshoot with either going into a barrell roll or a scissor.

He can equate the energy state by either reversing on you and luring you to follow him or going into a scissor. If he tries to reverse you will be on chasing him with alot of confidence, suddenly he does his move and you react to it. Energy fighting is about flying PROACTIVE not REACTIVE. When you react to his movement your gonna pull more Gs then he is and since we are talking a dive situation you can burn tons of E. This can swing the advantage.

As you see the scissor can force you to both overshoot and loose your advantage. Not something you wana do.

If you dont dive after him well then you have your E advantage in tact and you dont have a shot on him. Big deal he is still under your controll.

I only recommend to dive after a enemy if you are in a plane that handles better in dive. For example if a 109 dives from you then you might consider it, if a Ki84 dives from you then go for it. Cut your throttle so you dont overcommit and if you see him starting to do wiered roll stuff then climb out of the situation.

At the end you did get more agressive but I think that was because you got stressed since you had to go. I dont see much point in discussing that part since it was a rushed fight.

If you compare the film you taped from this fight with the film posted here below you will see what Im saying when Im saying more agressive and look for angles by applying roll.

http://83.227.73.189/ah/films/film73.ahf

But as I said... your quite close to getting there... Its just abuot finding the right level of agressivness and working the angles and rolls...

Good fights
Tex

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Energy fighting
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006, 01:36:42 PM »
thanks for that Tex, that was very informative, I know what i want to do and now it's just a case of learning it till it's second nature.
I'll work on rolling a lot more and using that when engaged to, because I've never really practised it, i'm a bit wary of introducing it and dying a quick death lol.
so rolls is the thing for me now,Again thanks for taking the time like you did Tex and I really appreciate that.

Hawco:aok