Author Topic: My view: MAs, technology, perk points, and the meaning of life  (Read 825 times)

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
There's been a lot of whining about the technology gap between planes in the MA.  Some people have even suggested that HTC get rid of the perk point system in favor of multiple "era" arenas.  Well, I'm gonna add just one more post to this growing garbage heap:

I think the idea of multiple arenas is a mistake.  I admit that I could be different minded from most of the vets in this game, but I play this game for the mass engagements.  By this I mean the missions and strategy, not furballs.  With multiple arenas offering different levels of technology, people will undoubtedly migrate to just one for two reasons.

1: it will have most of our favorite planes
2: all the people will be there so there will be a higher probability for mass strategy

This is a waste of HTC's money, and in this case, I'd like to see the subscription price go down some.

I think people should consider the "newbie" factor in all these plane favorites that so many complain get too many sorties (N1k, spit, La-7, dweeb etc. mk.X)  After a while, flying those same missions gets boring and people either leave the game or switch to new planes.  I myself am I die hard spit driver but without experimenting with different stuff, (Typhoon, Il-2, P-47, GVs) the game wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

As far as perk points and "ultra" planes (262, B-29, ultrasupersonicdweebfest Mk-blue (I hate the overuse of dweeb calling in the MA; strategy is strategy and the tactically savvy person SHOULD win)) are concerned, I'd get rid of the "elitist" tendency by making a (very) small portion a mandatory loss and the rest losing if the mission isn't landed for the "ultra" planes.

The perked planes are perked because if they're not then they'd totally unbalance the arena.  If the tempest only cost 20 perks, we'd see as many of them as we see chogs.  I'd crap my pants if I saw that.  I'd also be forced to adopt the same strategy if I ever wanted to last in a fight for more than a couple minutes.  I'm convinced that the only reason people want a lower perk cost on aircraft is so that they could feel safe in having a perk/death ratio high enough that they could fly the plane continuously.  That SERIOUSLY misses the point.

I applaud HTC for thier efforts in balancing the technology on the battlefield, and for the rest of you who don't like spending thier perk points:  STOP CRYING!!  Just spend them!  I have some 500 perkies on my own but what the hell are they going to do just sitting there??  I've died a few times in tempests just for fun, but that's why I'm learning the typhoon: soon enough, I'll upgrade to doing more sorties in my costly tempest.

Wow I've wasted a long time on this rant of mine.  I really hope it either enlightens a reader or seriously pisses somebody off.

-Preon1

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
My view: MAs, technology, perk points, and the meaning of life
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
What he said......

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
Excuse me, but I tuned into this thread for "the meaning of life", which was clearly advertised in the title, but I was unable to find it.  What gives?  These bait and switch tactics are really quite upsetting!

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2001, 11:54:00 AM »
Sorry SOB, I was just getting to that part when I had to go, so I cut it off... short??

Anywho, here ya go:

The meaning of life:
Life is a continuous propagation of what exists, so whatever happens, only pass on what you would put your name on.

(best I could do in 20 seconds)

Here's another one that the Commandant of Cadets at USAFA said:

"Don't suck."

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »
the meaning of life is 42.  you happy now SOB?

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2001, 12:27:00 PM »
The Meaning of life.......

The meaning of life:
Life is a continuous propagation of what exists, so whatever happens, only pass on what you would put your name on.

Very Deep subject!  :)

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Thunder ]
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2001, 04:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Preon1:
The perked planes are perked because if they're not then they'd totally unbalance the arena.  If the tempest only cost 20 perks, we'd see as many of them as we see chogs.  I'd crap my pants if I saw that.  I'd also be forced to adopt the same strategy if I ever wanted to last in a fight for more than a couple minutes.  I'm convinced that the only reason people want a lower perk cost on aircraft is so that they could feel safe in having a perk/death ratio high enough that they could fly the plane continuously.  That SERIOUSLY misses the point.

The perk system is in its infancy, and needs attention to keep it from growing up into a nasty toddler.

There are 4 perk planes available, and not much exciting in the whole bunch.  The Chog perk is about the best use of the system to date, it took a much overused plane and put it back in line so that it wasnt 50% of the MA.  I see little point in the Arado, as its enemic bomb load combined with an uninspiring climb rate, makes it a bore.  What posible use are 1500lbs of bombs?  I can get more bang from a F4U Jabo.  The FW thing is a nice plane, but hardly much different from the Dora, but then again I suck in the FW anyway.  Sure it probably flies great at 30k....I'll let you know the next time I have a dogfight up there  :)   That brings us to The Tempest.  The best of the lot for certain, but because its the only perk plane seen in the arena with any kins of regularity (I see one about ever 2-3 days...and I play quite a bit), it gets hunted down like an evil plauge ridden monster.  This means its only real use, is to drag cons away from an area (which is does with amazing success).

Maybe when some more perked items become available it will help.  To be honest, I dont even care about perk points now.  I pick the plane because its what I want to fly.  The only reason I dont fly the Tempest is because I end up feeling like the whole arena is playing tag, and I'm the only one not currently "it".

Ah well, I have faith in HT, they will make it all work better and better.  Id really like to see a perk point cost reduction factored in to things when a side is outnumbered.  20-40-75   sure...but the poor country with only 20 gets Tempests for 2 perkies each

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  :D   :D   :D   :D

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
perk planes are not rare because they cost perk points but because no one wants to have a target pinned on his chest.   i have over 1500 idiotic perk points and see no use for them at all.  

Better (and more fair) to simply have perk planes available free and to everyone for the last day or two of the tour and just drop the cobbled up, unworkable perk system.  
lazs

Offline Kingonads

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
I am a big supporter of the Perk point system.  I Do think that certian plains need to be perked and others dont.... like the N1K is a plane that was built in underground factories in the last 2 years of the war and in that time almost 2000 of them were built out of that 2k about half saw combat and they where proved to be unreliable planes in the air they had a serious torque issue at low speeds simaler to the F4U and its engine would sometimes cease to work after prolonged flights.  Now as for its having "UFO" FM in RL it was a super dogfighter because of this ability to make remarkable turns and menuvers BUT... it was to little to late for the Japanese war effort.  I think it should be perked and it should be around 10points the F4U-c should be 20 points. I dislike the Chog more than the N1K because only 200 or so of the Chog seen combat in WWII and for this reason I dont think it should be as cheap as it is.  I belive that the perk system should be based on the availablity durning the war like if less a certain number seen combat then it would cost X amount.  People want alot of things in this game and I am not a big fan of the 262 or the 162 I think they would be great for catching AR234s but other than that if HT models them right the ME262 beggers will cry that their favorite ride is crap in a fight with a REAL fighter in and not a B&Z fest in even this aspect I would think the 262 would be beat by more stable platforms like the 109 and P51D other than Bomber hunting the 262 is not much use in here, even if it is used for this role it will be chewed up by the guns on a buff we all know that one .50cal round can blow your fighter to itty bitty ditty peaces when it is fired from a bomber.  Now that I have siad my peace I will shut up and go whatch Scarey Movie 2. :P

Hodo
             I want More japanese planes and a Mosquito and a P40 only then will I be happy. Well maybe not.  :D

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2001, 01:16:00 PM »
Ok lazs, let's say we drop the perk point system. You're flying aroung in you CHog to the nearest furball. As you approch the furball, you notice then enemy is all flying Tempests. You try to dogfight with them, but each time you get a shot, they dive and run. Then you come here squeaking about how the Tempest is too fast and that it should be removed for you can't furball something that runs away!

Perks somewhat balance the arena. I found a 152 at 42K the other night in a P-38. I knew he'd wax my butt at alt, so I drug him down to sea level and blew him away. Same thing for the Tempest. They are so fast and have good guns that they'd unbalance the arena, like the CHog. Wait a while. HTC will fix the point system if it has a problem. Remember, it hasn't been here long...

[ 07-04-2001: Message edited by: texace ]

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
it is up to squads and enthusiasts to keep the balance there not the system.

ususally newbies and guys who only play a few hours a week gravitate to the point and click planes. if you only play 2 hrs per week it is probably more fun to hop in the la7 or n1k and watch the kills pile up rather than take the time to fly a more common wwii plane and get shot down constantly seeking an historic fight. that's probably why you find at least 1 of each in every engagement.

as mentioned earlier in the thread, people go seeking a challenge later or find interest in a specific plane, engine, theatre etc and sometimes even form specialized squads for a specific plane like the 56th fg and those dam$%d p47s  :)

if more people would experiment and not worry about their score they might find a plane they like and it would naturally bring a little diversity to the arena.

Offline Preon1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2001, 01:39:00 PM »
Right on mrfish.  You can be my wing anytime.