Author Topic: FR Stinks now  (Read 908 times)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
FR Stinks now
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »
Guys

Newer is not always better with drivers.  Bronk, I will trust you when you say you are getting a performance increase, but long term testing of most of the newer drivers has shown NO increase in performance for those of us with 6xxx series cards.  The people mucking about with the drivers are making changes that directly affect the newer 7xxx series cards.  Some of them actually HURT performance in the 6xxx series cards.  For that reason, I can honestly say for all the drivers I have tried on my 6800 Ultra, I have not found any of the newer ones that work better than the 66.93 drivers.  They arent all necessarily worse either, but not better.  Which just tells me they have done NOTHING to any of these drivers since then that increases performace for the 6xxx series cards.  This opinion has been reinforced by my communication with one of the guys at the DH website.  They should know, if anyone outside Nvidia does.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Re: FR Stinks now
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 10:33:59 PM »
Originally posted by TCFkas
Ok, the latest patch has thrown my FR into freeze hell.  I have the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 with 256 meg.  I have a Gig of Ram.  When I am in clear blue skies FR gets to 71, but if something pops up on screen it drops into 40's and God forbid it smoke as now it drops into 20's.  If screen gets real cluttered and drops below 20, standby for freeze up and the only way out is a reboot.  I've updated the drivers and nada.

I also have the Nvidia GEForce 6200 with 256 meg and also a Gig of Ram.  I also get FR  up to 71 in clear skies.  However, FR drops to mid-30s to 40s in a crowd with some slight screen freeze up.  Whenever I get into a GV, and get near trees Fr suffers a massive drop.  If I use zoom while in or near trees, my FR drops to single digits.  I did not have these problems prior to Version 2:08 and subsequent patches.   In Version 2:07, I could pre-load vid memory, system memory and skins but in Version 2:08 vid memory cannot be pre-loaded.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 09:52:54 AM »
Again......to preload skins, and textures using the hires package it takes a minimum of 1.2 ghz of RAM to do so.  So I would suggest if you do preload everything have at least 2 ghz of RAM.  Stutters usually indicate something being loaded to or from memory.

Also it has been said many times in this forum make sure nothing is running in the background taking up resources.

A few good programs such as fsautostart can shutdown uneeded applications.

Also tracking cookies can be a problem.  Again Adaware is a free download that can rid your system of these problems.  If you want to do one better SpySweeper is an application that is more comprehensive and thorough then Adaware.  SpySweeper however you must purchase.  It is well worthwhile to do so.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
.....Also tracking cookies can be a problem.  Again Adaware is a free download that can rid your system of these problems.  If you want to do one better SpySweeper is an application that is more comprehensive and thorough then Adaware.  SpySweeper however you must purchase.  It is well worthwhile to do so.....
Cookies are subject to a number of misconceptions, mostly based on the erroneous notion that they are computer programs. In fact, cookies are simple pieces of data unable to perform any operation by themselves. In particular, they are neither spyware nor viruses, despite the detection of cookies from certain sites by many anti-spyware products.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2006, 12:22:50 PM »
Originally posted by NHawk
Cookies are subject to a number of misconceptions, mostly based on the erroneous notion that they are computer programs. In fact, cookies are simple pieces of data unable to perform any operation by themselves. In particular, they are neither spyware nor viruses, despite the detection of cookies from certain sites by many anti-spyware products.

Methinks you do not understand the difference between "cookies" and "tracking cookies".

To understand the tracking-cookie issue, you have to know something about cookies overall, and you have to know what spyware actually is.

Cookies are small text files that Web-site operators - and third-party companies that insert ads into Web sites - place on a user's computer. Many types of cookies are harmless or even helpful. For instance, a cookie might help a Web site remember your preferences for what news topics you chose to see. With your permission, it might store your login information, so you don't have to type it in each time you visit a particular site. "Remember Me" check boxes where you sign in to websites use this feature.  Antispyware programs aren't designed to detect or remove these helpful cookies.

Tracking cookies shouldn't be confused with these other cookies. They have no user benefit except the vague promise that the ads you get as a result may be better tailored to your interests, because they record every website you visit, and deliver that information back to its originator the next time you visit their site, or an affiliated site.

Spyware - and a related category called adware - is computer code placed on a user's computer without his or her permission and without notification, or with notification so obscure it hardly merits the term. Once installed, spyware and adware alter the PC's behavior to suit the interests of outside parties rather than those of the owner or user.

Examples of spyware and adware include programs called "browser hijackers," which reset the home page or search engine your browser uses so it is diverted to the sites of the spyware and adware companies or their clients. Others record your activities and report them to outside parties. Still others push ads in your face, even when you aren't using the Web.

Some tracking-cookie purveyors say their cookies aren't really spyware because they aren't full-fledged programs and they aren't as outrageous as spyware programs such as "key loggers," which record and report every keystroke you enter.

They may not be true spyware, but they are not true Cookies either.  They go beyond the limited, helpful functions of a true Cookie and record information you may not wish to share with others.  If there was nothing wrong with them, anti-spyware programs would not be able to pick them out from normal Cookies and remove them (not all do, but there are several of the better ones that do).

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2006, 12:33:42 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Methinks you do not understand the difference between "cookies" and "tracking cookies".....

Trust me, I understand the difference. I was merely pointing out that they do nothing on their own. They do not slow down the operation of a computer. Unless of course you visit the web site and keep the browser open while it pops up ads. :)
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Again......to preload skins, and textures using the hires package it takes a minimum of 1.2 ghz of RAM to do so.  So I would suggest if you do preload everything have at least 2 ghz of RAM.  Stutters usually indicate something being loaded to or from memory.

Also tracking cookies can be a problem.  Again Adaware is a free download that can rid your system of these problems.  If you want to do one better SpySweeper is an application that is more comprehensive and thorough then Adaware.  SpySweeper however you must purchase.  It is well worthwhile to do so.

The point that I was making was that even with 1 Gig of ram and 256 meg of vid ram, I did not, repeat did not, have any FR problems at all.  My FR problem as previously stated  by me, did not occur until the installation of Version 2:08 and patches.  I also have spyware programs which I use regularly.  I posted here because others seem to have developed the same problem since Version 2:08 came out and I believe that it is something that Skuzzy or someone should consider.  

Also as I pointed out in my earlier post, I could pre-load vid memory in Version 2:07  and I was using 85 megs of memory in flight  with no problems whatsoever.  Currently I am only using 32 megs of memory which was standard when I only had 128 megs of memorry.

In summary, Version 2:08 and patches did result in a degradation of performance for some of us.   This is not a complaint but just a comment with the hope that HTC will research the problem to find out what caused the change.,

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 03:35:13 AM »
I got the same frame rate problems also. I didn't even know what frame rate was before, I didn't need to. Everything was just fine. I'm starting to realize that this game isn't so much about yo yo's and reversals and learning to fly, that's the easy stuff. It's more about the mighty silicone chip. And for me to learn hardware and software is about like a fourth grader teaching himself calculus. It's very discouraging.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
FR Stinks now
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2006, 11:59:11 AM »
Its really easier than it looks at first Clutz.  Hang in there.  :)