Author Topic: Any truth to this??  (Read 488 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Any truth to this??
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 11:05:09 PM »
Bad wording on my part, Holden.

"If it passes" referred to the Communications Opportunity, Promotion and Enhancement Act, put forth by the Republicans - which allows the telcos to be your personal gatekeepers as to what you get access to over the internet.

The "Net Neutrality" bill is the one that counters this, and is supported by Democrats.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 11:23:48 PM »
So COPE (HR 5252) passed the house with 321-101, 11 not voting

321 = 215 R + 106 D

101 = 8 R + 92 D

11 = 8 R + 3 D

The bill carried both parties...  seems like it was one of the more bipartisan bills recently.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »
5252 came out of the commerce commitee (big surprise) and caught folks off guard.

When people figured it out, 5417 was introduced.

And now? It's the focus.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 11:43:52 PM »
But.... uhm...

Aside from trying to be so damned contrary to me, where do you stand?

Do you like the Republican proposal which allows the telcos to have complete control over the free content that you currently access over the internet; blocking what it wants, and able to ask for higher subscription rates for certain other content?

Or do you like the Democrats' bill, which basically tells the telcos to go pound sand?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 12:00:26 AM »
I am not intending to be so damned contrarian, it just seems that way. :)

Those damned Demos voting on stuff that they do not understand... we should get some smarter Demos in there to balance out the evil Repubs.

I am for complete freedom of the net. Although I did favor the .xxx domain so that it would be easy for parents to sift out non child friendly sites... but that is moot now.

I favor anything that would enhance the competition of service providers.  If some company A decides to offer discounted prices for business broadband, I would hope that some other hungry company B would undercut the premium price A charges for home service.

If A says it'll cost extra for some services and B says it's included in their price, I'll choose B.

Cut-throat competition always favors the consumer.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:26 AM »
Good, then you think the Republican initiative to turn over complete control of our internet content to the telcos is BS.

.... and you think that the way the internet is now - ungoverned - is the way it should be.

Good on ya.

Do everyone a favour and write to your local omnibudsman (hehe) and tell him that.

Tell him: "I'm against the Rebublican initiative to suddenly make the telcos our internet gatekeepers, and I strongly support the Democrats in keeping the internet just the same damned free-for-all flow of information as it is now."

;)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 12:08:42 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin

Cut-throat competition always favors the consumer.

Unfortunately for us, all too often we aren't the consumer of the internet. We're the product.
sand

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 12:14:31 AM »
Originally posted by Nash
Tell him: "I'm against the Rebublican initiative to suddenly make the telcos our internet gatekeepers, and I strongly support the Democrats in keeping the internet just the same damned free-for-all flow of information as it is now."

;)

That's the same demos that don't know what they vote for?;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
Any truth to this??
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 12:16:09 AM »
Well, there aint gonna be much mistaking on this one.