Author Topic: New labtop  (Read 309 times)

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
New labtop
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:27:17 PM »
I need some input on a purchase for a new labtop. I am a Realtor and will only be doing email and other small app needs. I dont like i need to spend 1k and would like to keep the dollar amount down. What would you look for? Is buying a used one ok? Is their a small company that makes a good labtop? Bla Bla

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New labtop
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »
You're buying a "laptop" just for e-mail? You can pick one up used for like $500 or so (decent one, but not top of the line -- you don't need top of the line for e-mail).

EDIT: P.S. When buying used be sure to check out the battery life. Older units sometimes have shorter battery lifespans, as the battery gets old. Replacing any battery can cost several hundred dollars. So get one that lasts at least a couple of hours before requiring a recharge.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
New labtop
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:46:16 PM »
Thats what i was thinking

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
New labtop
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:58:12 PM »
You can get them from ebay stores. Make sure they have good user feedback (and lots of it) and are actual stores rather than individuals. Often you can ask the seller questions before you decide if you want to buy the product.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: New labtop
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
I need some input on a purchase for a new labtop. I am a Realtor and will only be doing email and other small app needs. I dont like i need to spend 1k and would like to keep the dollar amount down. What would you look for? Is buying a used one ok? Is their a small company that makes a good labtop? Bla Bla

Marble or granite works real nice as Labtops.

Now if its a LAP Top you want.

Depends on what your planning on doing with it.

My bro in law picked one up for like $300 just so he can use mapquest and Email.

Works great
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
New labtop
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 07:11:44 PM »
Dell Inspirons

I have a 9300 here at work.  They've been running some great specials on the dell site where you can get em for under $999.  Pick what you like, Ive had this one for a few months and loooove the wide screen and zippy SATA HDD (and the duo-core Intel)

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
New labtop
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:07:15 PM »
Just bought a Tablet PC today HP TC4200, done alot of price chasing...

I'd stay away from refurbs becuase they ussually dont have a manufacturers warranty, and small problem could be costly, you might get a bad screen,bad HD, worn out battery etc etc. and these short warranties on refurbs are ussually offered by place that sells it, not the manufacturer. If ya can, go for new.

Here are some  pretty good deals i found on NEW Laptops:

New Dell laptop + free wireless router $449+ shipping

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=19&kc=6f909&oc=d80605r

Office depot has Toshiba A55s on sale for $600
http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=580207

Here is $150 mail in rebate coupon for this computer valid till 7/29/06

http://forms.young-america.com/41943_OD6302228%20v2%20-%20060706.pdf

Good luck!

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
New labtop
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:53:38 AM »
Eh, check these

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
cheap battery replacement
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »
there is a site, batteryrefill.com i believe is the web address. it was the cheapest i could find for a laptop battery. they will send you a refurbished battery less than half the cost of a new one, all you have to do is send them your old one.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
New labtop
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:10:21 PM »
Thanks guys.. I was looking at Ebay but its one big scam. When did Ebay get so bad? I live in Austin and craigslist is full of notebooks for some really good prices.
I am going to look at a Dell XPS with 2 gigs of ram and a 256mb video card with no OS for $850 thats on craigs list. I think its going to be the one sounds like a really good deal. I asked all the major questions to this kid and he had some really good answers. Sounded like he his just having a hard time and this xps was a gift before this company gave him the boot.. Our it fell off the truck (:

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Re: New labtop
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Originally posted by FX1

Under 1K, well $999...plays AH (BF2, Joint Ops, GTAs) great and has upgradable MXM graphics / cpu. I paid $1500 new just 6 months ago. It's a so called vanallia book made by Quanta (a KN1 barebook), one of the top tier manufacturers in over there land.

http://www.pcclub.com/product_system_details.cfm?itemno=ENP61104
15" WXGA, P-M 1.7, 128M 6600go $999

A great review of this notebook:
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2692

These guys sell one starting @ $700:
http://istnc.com/store/products.php?cat=96

My other favorite place to look, on a budget, is overstock.com.. refurbished, well yes... but uber cheap & under warranty.

My friend got an Acer Aspire with a Sempron 3000+ for a shade over $600, it was packaged as new and was missing a manual, but has run flawlessly. Its got some crap-tastic non gaming graphics though.

Edit:
Wanted to add the 6600go overclocks like a monster @ 450/750 on "detect best settings" at a cool 59... so turning on some AA eye candy goodness isn't a problem. Access to the cpu/gpu/ram and all that it stupid easy and the "Fn" functions work great with any MP3 player.. I usually run WMP in the bakround changing sons, pause / play, vol controll and all that via the Fn keys.

I found the on board sound lacking a bit, so I added a Turtle Beach Roadie for home rock out / surround sound gaming needs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:34:55 PM by x0847Marine »

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
New labtop
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
I have been looking at overstock.com and the prices are good. I am not going to play games just emails and other small programs. I do have my old gaming rig up at the office just need to return a stick so i can play during the day..

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
New labtop
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 07:41:39 PM »
The dell one i listed is awsome for that  type of work  comes with 1GB of ram too.