Author Topic: Video Card problem.  (Read 330 times)

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
Video Card problem.
« on: June 18, 2006, 09:11:53 AM »
Will for about 2 months now I've had this new video card. Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT. For the first 2 weeks of having this card, nothing bad happend. My games ran better, and I could run them will with high graphics on any of my games. Then one day it just started locking up and crashing about 30min to an hour in a game. AH doesn't cause any problems (Which is good) But games like BF1942, and America's Army, Call of Duty seem to cause problems. I'll be playing these games, having fun then the screen freezes and the computer restarts with a blue screen saying Techincal Error or something like that. It won't stay up long enough for me to read it. I think its just my video card over heating. So I did a test and stuck a house fan by my computer, and when I play BF,COD,AA they work fine for longer periods like 2-3 hours. But my computer still freezes and restarts. It makes these wierd sound. EeeehhhBEeeeehhhhBEeeeeeeehhh h restarts.

Is this just my video card overheating, or some technical problem?
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Video Card problem.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 09:27:08 AM »
Either overheating in your comp somewhere or power supply going bad (which might also be overheating).

Try to have comp run open with big office fan blowing in & clean dust out of the heat spreaders (Carefully, so they dont loose contact with the chips or eaven break the chips).

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Video Card problem.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 11:36:23 AM »
Originally posted by Schutt
Try to have comp run open with big office fan blowing in & clean dust out of the heat spreaders (Carefully, so they dont loose contact with the chips or eaven break the chips).

:noid Tch, yeah, or do what Skuzzy does and pump a frikken leaf blower into it...no joke, search for it... :rofl
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Visigothan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.ramenbudget.com
Video Card problem.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 02:04:42 PM »
It definitely sounds like your video card is overheating, or at least flaky. I'd RMA it with the place you purchased it from if possible, or if that's not an option, have the manufacturer replace it.

As far as case cooling goes, what cooling setup do you have? How many intake/exhaust fans and of what sizes?

EDIT:

Also, depending on what the beep codes are, it could be indicating something else wrong with your system. Can you tell me what motherboard you have, and what beeps it emits when your computer restarts?

For example, an alternating high and then low pitched siren is a "CPU Warning" siren, indicating an overheat or CPU detection problem. Note down what the beeps are, and I'll find out what they mean for you. :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 02:07:00 PM by Visigothan »

Offline VooWho

• Silver Member
Video Card problem.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »
I have 2 fans, about 1 inch blades. Ive put my hands over them and they really don't make much cool air. Arn't there cooling fans I can buy? Will I thought it was cooling problem, so thanks.
Non Sibi Sed Patriae!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Video Card problem.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 08:22:43 PM »
Sounds power related to me.  Could be heat also.  Hey OOZ, dunt knock the leaf blower or I'll bring it into the next extreme race.  How you gonna lfy with a 300MPH crosswind?  :D
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Visigothan

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.ramenbudget.com
Video Card problem.
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 10:39:47 PM »
Originally posted by VooWho
I have 2 fans, about 1 inch blades. Ive put my hands over them and they really don't make much cool air. Arn't there cooling fans I can buy? Will I thought it was cooling problem, so thanks.

Roy is right, it could possibly be power too.

The thing I'm wondering though, is the beep code. I can tell you what's going on with that if you can either record it on audio and email it to me, or accurately describe the number, pitch and duration of beeps (ie: 1 long high, 4 short high ...etc.)

In regards to cooling, that could be part of it as well. Do you have 80mm, 90mm or 120mm (or other sized) fans, and are both intake, both exhaust, or one of each?

In regards to other fans you can by, it all depends on which fan mounts your case is equipped with. Different manufacturers equip their cases with different fans and fan mounts. If you can tell me the model of your case, I can find out for you. Otherwise, you can measure across (not diagonally) to the screw holes for the fans with a metric ruler, and look at the size. They'll probably be 80mm, 90mm, or if you have a full sized tower, sometimes 120mm between screw holes.

http://www.3dcool.com is a great place to get cooling gear for your PC. Pay close attention to the CFM (cubic feet per minute) and dbA (noise level) in the details of each product. If you're not big on noisy fans, stay away from stuff that's over 20dbA. Also, for case fans, I wouldn't consider anything less than 40CFM, even the "silent" stuff.