Author Topic: What processes may I shut down?  (Read 464 times)

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
What processes may I shut down?
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:09:19 AM »
To get a better connection on new computer..

I just bought a new computer, and of course it's full of crap things running in the background..
So here is a list of what's running, and hopefully some of you can tell me which ones I am allowed to shut off.  

Administrator:
firefox.exe
explorer.exe
ctfmon.exe

Local Service:
svchost.exe
mcrdsvc.exe
alg.exe

Network Service:
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
wmiprvse.exe

System:
ccSetMgr.exe
smss.exe
crss.exe
winlogon.exe
services.exe
lsass.exe
ccEvtMgr.exe
svchost.exe
ccProxy.exe
spoolsv.exe
arservice.exe
ehrecvr.exe
ehSched.exe
Lssrvc.exe
MDM.exe
navapsvc.exe
symlcsvc.exe
nvsvc32.exe
HPZipm12.exe
hpsydrv.exe
dlhost.exe
sndsrvc.exe
SPBBCSvc.exe

I've noticed some warping that's caused by me in the game, so it could be due to crap running in the background, and usually my ping to the arena is around 80 on broadband DSL.
Ok thanks for any assistance!

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 05:01:04 PM »
I'm no guru but I'll quote THE Geek from this post:
http://www.flyaceshigh.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71591

GENERAL CPU UTILIZATION

Windows, by default, has several processes which run in background, that can cause odd problems with online gaming as well as security issues.
For Windows 2000 and XP users:
Go to your Control Panel and doule click the "Administrative Tools" ICON. Then double-click the "Services" ICON.
This will show you a list of processes Windows will run or start at boot time. Some will show as "Running". To alter the state of any of the listed processes, simply right-click on it, and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
The processes you can safely "Disable" are as follows:

Automatic Updates (this is one nasty program)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Fax Service (NOTE: unless you are using your computer to send/receive FAXES)
Internet Connection Sharing (NOTE: unless you use your computer so that other computers access the Internet through it)
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Messenger
Print Spooler (unless you have a printer connected)
Remote Registry Service
Routing and Remote Access (unless your computer is also acting as a router for the LAN)
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
Task Scheduler (unless you have your computer automatically run programs for you...not recommended to leave enabled)
Telephony (NOTE: XP and Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later users may not be able to disable this without it disabling your Internet connection)
Telnet (unless you want to be able to telnet to your computer from a remote location......not recommended to leave enabled)
Uninterruptible Power Supply (unless you have a Windows compliant UPS system)

All others are at your discretion, but take care. Windows will allow you to shut off services that can keep your computer from booting. The ones you must not touch have RPC in the name.

A well tuned Windows 2000/XP system should only have about 19 to 21 background processes running, as reported in the Windows Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del, under the "Processes" tab)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:10:17 PM »
Or you can try this thread I posted a few weeks ago.

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=179212

This will answer any questions you ever had about Windows and what you can shut off, whether its processes running in the background or BIOS setup choices to turn on or off, or video card settings.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:25:01 AM »
Try this , I found it doing a search for "rubber bullets":lol  It has to do with a program that makes it so u can close out background programs and it will even start aces high for u too.
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172780&highlight=rubber+bullets

If that address doesent work (im new at forums, and this is my first address paste) then do a search for: SOOO U gots RUBBER bullets?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 11:38:49 AM »
Originally posted by Clutz
If that address doesent work (im new at forums, and this is my first address paste) then do a search for: SOOO U gots RUBBER bullets?

Or you can just download FSAutoStart...can tell that's what you're talking about without opening the link. :huh

Very good program, though. As you tell it what to shut down when you start AH, it gives you descriptions of what everything is.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Re: What processes may I shut down?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 04:46:28 PM »
Administrator:
firefox.exe -- kill
explorer.exe -- no
ctfmon.exe- kill

Local Service:
svchost.exe - no
mcrdsvc.exe - kill
alg.exe - no (or kill its a Win firewall thing)

Network Service:
svchost.exe - no
svchost.exe - no
wmiprvse.exe- no

System:
ccSetMgr.exe - kill
smss.exe - no
crss.exe -no
winlogon.exe -no
services.exe -no
lsass.exe -no
ccEvtMgr.exe - kill
svchost.exe -no
ccProxy.exe -kill
spoolsv.exe - kill
arservice.exe- kill
ehrecvr.exe - kill
ehSched.exe-kill
Lssrvc.exe-kill
MDM.exe-kill
navapsvc.exe- kill
symlcsvc.exe- kill
nvsvc32.exe - kill
HPZipm12.exe - kill
hpsydrv.exe -kill
dlhost.exe -kill
sndsrvc.exe - kill
SPBBCSvc.exe -kill

Edit: wanted to add you can create another user log on, like "Gamer", then Start>> Run>> type msconfig and kill these at start up for that account.

Although I think you'll find after killing these, everything will run great expect for printing, dont kill spoolsv.exe for that to work.

When you want to go back, just switch users to your normal account.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 04:51:42 PM by x0847Marine »