Author Topic: Semi noob wants advice  (Read 664 times)

Offline BigDawg

• Zinc Member
Semi noob wants advice
« on: June 21, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »
Hello all,I just downloaded aces yesterday and have been trying to work to config my controls and such.I am sure someday I will get it all fig with some one else's help lol. I have played most of the WW2 flying sims so i have a slight grasp of flying(landings and take offs are still touch and go lol) I mostly used the jump in to the mission option.This game seems to be a totaly diffrent aniamal for me.Now before I go and spend the money for a subscription is there a way to learn enough to see if I will like it?I have flown around off line to learn some things but shooting at planes that fly in circles is no challenge nor test of how I would like the game. I have read some where mentioned in the threads about trainers,how do I find one and hook up with them to drain some knowledge from them?

Offline ridley1

• Nickel Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 08:30:05 PM »
well, they do hang out here in the world of bulletin boards...

But...if you go online, there is a specific training arena that you can enter.

And even if you go into the main arena..there are lots of people out there willing to help....as long as you are beyond the "how do I take off?" question stage.

If you mean that you've played Air Warrior and/or Warbirds....well, most of those guys are here now.

Welcome to the game.

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
You can always try the Head to Head mode.
 But please keep in mind, that this game has a steep learning curve, with the most realistic flight model of any game.
 Have some patience.
 The rewards are worth it :O
 BTW- The first 2 weeks are free, But I'd go either offline or H to H for a while to get a feel for it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 09:00:57 PM by Flit »

Offline BigDawg

• Zinc Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 09:05:21 PM »
mostly i ve played screamin demons,microsofts combat's ones and a few others.most of those are non playable on my system now.I crave the challenge of real people. I will try to get in and talk to some of you online.

Offline benytree

• Copper Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:01:39 PM »
yes go to H2H if you want some help. they are very friendly. after you get the feel for it try out online mode in the training arena or the main arena.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:23:53 AM »
Hija BigDawg, welcome to AH :)

If this is the first time you play this game, you have a two week free online trial period. After that youre either "restricted" to H2H (8 people, room player hosted) or you have to pay for online subscription.

Use the two weeks to take a look at all the different arenas.

Main for the big brawl, Axis vs Allied and Special Events for historical matchups and terrains, Training to get some hint , tips and practice. Usually youll find a trainer or vet there that can help you out. If not, Trainers@flyaceshigh.com will get you in contact with the trainer corps to set up a session. This is a write up on how to set up your Joystick.

http://www.netaces.org is a good place to look for answers if you got a question. Or come back here and ask away
21 is only half the truth.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 09:40:23 AM »
Hey BigDawg, I drive thru Hadley often for my job, UMASS, Brockway Smith and a number of other places, may have even run into you :)

This game is nothing like the other flight sims you've listed. The flight model has some simularities.... pull on stick you climb and so on.... but the dynamics of the controls are much closer to the real thing.

The off line practice mode is to  familurize yourself with the controls and basic set-up of the user interface. Once you learn your way around the "notebook" and the cockpit, and can pretty much pop the wings off those circling drones in one pass, then use your free 2 week period.

During the free trial, visit the different arenas, hook up with a trainer, and get "hammered" in the main arena :) The game has a very big learning curve, and it takes months for some people to even get "passable" at it. I've have been flying here for years, and I'm by no means a "top ace". I still learn new things everytime I fly, but I like the challange, and the friends you make more than make up for all the flights that end in death :D

Welcome to your new addiction !

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »
i have a little advice, stay off channel 200 and don't worry about score/rank.   just fly and get killed for fun. its much better that way.  :D

Offline BigDawg

• Zinc Member
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 04:43:41 PM »
Thanks for the support all,I got online with it today and even talked a buddy into it.LOL he stinks worse then me.We did a head to head play,the name is birdodgg,any way to change that?Fugitive let me know if you have time while driving through we can chat for a min. One qeustion ,when you run out of ammo and have killed your opponet  like 3 times is there a way to resupply with out dieing?I landed back at base but not sure what to do from there.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
At the end of the runway is a "rearm pad". Taxi tot he end of the runway, and around the building at the end. Stop your plane on the pad and you'll get a message "rearm will be complete in 30 seconds"

or, if you want to just end your flight on the ruway and get a new plane.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 07:34:46 PM »
Originally posted by BigDawg
Thanks for the support all,I got online with it today and even talked a buddy into it.LOL he stinks worse then me.We did a head to head play,the name is birdodgg,any way to change that?Fugitive let me know if you have time while driving through we can chat for a min. One qeustion ,when you run out of ammo and have killed your opponet  like 3 times is there a way to resupply with out dieing?I landed back at base but not sure what to do from there.

dont change names while your 2 week trial is going on ... it will lock you out of the trial ,and you will be stuck in h2h land only .

for rearming theres a small bunch of blds at the end of most runways with a red circle (rearm)  ... park there and it will rearm ya ...or just grab another plane.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline red26

• Silver Member
      • http://www.red25s.zoomshare.com
Semi noob wants advice
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
I being a NOOb my self have fond that the people in this plase will do anything they can to help you. Im glad you came here before you started flying in MA that much. Please if you ever need somthing just ask one of us and we will try to get you the answer right away.

(OH) And like they said Welcome to your new adiction. Just give it a wile.
  MAH HA HA HA lol:aok
US ARMY LEAD THE WAY