Author Topic: WooT! 'Bout time!  (Read 254 times)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:20:40 PM »
Officials Criticize 'Hooters for Neuters'

Jun 27, 7:40 PM (ET)

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Several city officials on Tuesday sharply criticized a planned bikini contest to raise money for spaying pets, saying the "Hooters for Neuters" event was degrading to women.

Hosted by the Hooters restaurant chain, the July 13 fundraiser will donate money to the spay and neuter programs at Los Angeles Animal Services.

"Are we going backward here?" said City Controller Laura Chick. "We are a city with all kinds of progressive programs that empower women and end discrimination in the workplace, and now we're being connected with a Hooters bikini contest. It isn't right."

Councilwoman Jan Perry said the department's attempt to be creative in telling pet owners to sterilize their animals "crosses the line."

"I was surprised and amazed with the photograph on the flier, and I don't think it projects a good image for the city of Los Angeles," Perry said.

Animal Services Director Ed Boks apologized for making people upset, but said the "Charity Benefit Bikini Contest" would go on as scheduled.

"These people have gone out of their way in helping us, and I would hate to deny these businesses from helping to save the lives of animals in our shelters," Boks said.

Boks promised a more rigorous vetting process for future fundraisers.

The fundraiser is not city-sponsored, but a promoting flier is posted on the Animal Services Web site.

The original flier showed a bikini-clad woman, but the latest version shows a dog wearing a T-shirt that says "Hooters for Neuters."

Boks said that the owners of Hooters approached him about the fundraiser a month ago. He said the ads were made without consulting the department.

"When somebody steps up and says they want to help your agency raise money, your inclination is to say 'Yes,'" Boks said. "But, we probably won't be involved in any future bikini contests."

SOURCE:

http://apnews1.iwon.com/article/20060627/D8IGS44O4.html

****, I think I need to hit up the local Hooters and let them know that our clinic does neuturs and we would love the support! Of course, no support is good too. Their more bouncy.
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:24:18 PM »
maybe you can ask them to dress up as female russian pilots and they can join you reinactment group too, im sure they would be thrilled with the idea.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
Female Russian pilots look...baggy :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »
I'm confused  :confused:   Is it the city officials that are the neuters or are they talking about animals here.

There is nothing more empowering for a woman than dressing her up in a scantely clad uniform in order to maximize how much a man will open up his wallet for her.  Its magical I tell you.

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 02:04:59 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
I'm confused  :confused:   Is it the city officials that are the neuters or are they talking about animals here.

There is nothing more empowering for a woman than dressing her up in a scantely clad uniform in order to maximize how much a man will open up his wallet for her.  Its magical I tell you.

Maybe its Neuters against Hooters?

Those council women sure seem empowered to me. Only one so empowered would become so flustered over a bikini.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
WooT! 'Bout time!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »
Baggy I said, but faces are there....

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)