Author Topic: SATA drive dont work???  (Read 189 times)

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
SATA drive dont work???
« on: June 26, 2006, 01:18:57 PM »
For the third time I tried to install an OS on this nu WD160g 7200 drive and no go. xp 98 2000, none of these OSs got past the splash screen. I could boot into safe mode and get to desktop, but that was it...

I even connected my xp drive from my other computor and same lock up unless I booted into safe mode..hmmm driver prob ya think...?

Sooo, I looked around the house for an unused IDE drive and found a 1g drive, hooked it up installed 2000 and boom...worked like a charm...went back to best buy and traded the SATA for a normal IDE (same price), and 2000 installed great...untill I tried to install the vid drivers that came with my Evga 7800gts...didnt get past the splash screen again!!  even with the SP4 update. Perhaps 2000 is just too old an OS even tho its more stable with AMD dual cores...

any thots?

oh and i got
AMD fx60
Asus an8 premo
2g cosair mem
2 7800gts sli
no sound card yet
no LAN card yet.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:35:30 PM by [Sg]ShotGun »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
SATA drive dont work???
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 06:48:48 PM »
Walk through your BOIS with the manual in hand.  I'm guessing you never completly switched on the SATA chipset and now maybe you have it half on and half off, maybe. And check to see if you have PCI or AGP as the startup video channel.  I can lock myself out of my video if I'm careless.:rolleyes:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001