Author Topic: nose bounce  (Read 761 times)

Offline RedRadr

• Zinc Member
nose bounce
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:27:41 AM »
I dont get it, its like the plane  =remembers= an angle and is trying to
 get back to it..

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
nose bounce
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 10:50:41 AM »
Try adjusting your stick scaling. Especially Pitch and rudder.

Also, some planes have a more stable gun platform then others.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
nose bounce
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 01:01:57 PM »
Are you describing trim?  Netaces.org has a good write-up on this page, http://www.netaces.org/ahtraining/lephturn/trim.html#title.

In my favorite ride, the Corsairs, I do not use auto-trim.  In less familiar rides I use auto-trim manually, up to the point I'm saddling up for a shot.  I do not use auto-trim on automatic.

I've mapped up and down trim on my stick.  Just before shooting, I trim the plane close to neutral with just a bit a back pressure needed to settle the nose.

Good luck.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: nose bounce
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 01:52:45 PM »
Originally posted by RedRadr
I dont get it, its like the plane  =remembers= an angle and is trying to
 get back to it..

Hi RedRadr,

What you are describing is aircraft stability. The correct term for what you describe as a "nose bounce" is a pitch oscillation. It is a normal characteristic of the control response and flight dynamics of an aircraft. There are other types, but what you are seeing is called a short period pitch oscillation. That type of oscillation is normally damped by the tail plane, and the degree of damping depends on the longitudinal stability, longitudinal dihedral, position of the center of gravity, the movement of the center of pressure on the main wing and fuselage, and the area, aspect ratio, angle and distance of the tail from the center of gravity. In most aircraft where the controls have low to moderate control power, and are handled gently, pitch oscillations are not significant. However, fighters are intended to respond quickly to their controls, they are generally less stable than other aircraft and their control power is relatively high and they have less pitch damping because that would reduce their transient maneuverability. The situation is further complicated because stability in roll, yaw and pitch all have an affect on each other. In the Aces High flight model that is accurately accounted for and the differential equations that describe the motion in one axis are coupled with those for the other two axis, and they are solved numerically as simultaneous differential equations providing a high degree of fidelity to real aircraft motion.  Even so, most real fighters are rarely handled in a way that causes them to behave badly in this respect. Real pilots don’t handle their controls sharply, by snatching the flight control backwards and then releasing them, if they did the pitch oscillations would be apparent, particularly at the lower end of the aircraft’s speed range. Real pilots tend to make control commands that are positive but steady, for flight sim pilots, who don’t suffer the same physical restraints, control movements and responses are inclined to be far more dramatic and for that reason, even though the aerodynamics may be exactly the same, the flight sim pilot may experience control responses, in terms of oscillations, that few real pilots would normally see.

The good news is that because this is a control response, it is something you have the ability to influence with good manual control technique. You simply don’t need to make sudden or sharp control demands. One area where this is particularly important is in the influence this has on gunnery. When you are trying to track a target and hold a guns solution, it is important to make smooth changes of direction so that you can minimize any oscillations that spoil your aim. That’s why it can often be easier to get a kill when the bandit is holding a steady turn, and also why a good guns defense involves sudden and frequent changes of direction. All of that is the same for both real and sim' pilots.

I have found from experience that the design of some flight controls actually exacerbate this affect, particularly when they allow you to generate large control movements in very short distances and short times. Other flight sticks ease the problem, and I’m also convinced it is not just the physical design of the stick at play, the electronic characteristics of the stick also has an influence on the control signals received by the game and my own experiments with many different sticks show that this can result in a difference in the stability of the aircraft observed in flight simulations.

Regardless of what stick you use the pitch oscillations can also be damped out to some extent in Aces High by using the control settings. However, too much pitch damping can have a negative affect on your reaction times in combat so it is important to find a stick that enables you to achieve a good degree of stability with as little pitch damping as possible.

Hope that helps…

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
nose bounce
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 01:59:56 PM »
Ya beat me to it badboy :)

Anyways, here is AKAK's Stickscale Settings which shows screen shots of his recomended slider settings.  In "controler map" check advanced to view the scaleing sliders.  Slight tweeking with deadband and dampening may need to be done to adjust to your individual joystick.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
nose bounce
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:51:52 AM »
I though it was to much "E".  :p  You know, that manically sticky stuff you can  paste on your wings. Quite an impressive write up there badboy. TY very much.  And, I bet you majored in English, didn't you. :aok

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
nose bounce
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 02:57:18 AM »
i think at some point badboy swallowed the complete manual of flight and maybe a few other titles and pasted them in his brain, i could understand it all just as well before, but never put it in such fine words. :aok
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
nose bounce
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 09:06:38 AM »
I have noticed a conciderable increase in nose bounce since 2.08 was released. I also replaced my stick about that time so it may be that it's a stick issue for me.

Has anyone else noticed any difference in the fm regarding nose bounce with the new 2.08 version?

Oh btw
I'm using AKAKs stick scaling.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
nose bounce
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 06:12:30 PM »
Originally posted by Clutz
Quite an impressive write up there badboy. TY very much.  And, I bet you majored in English, didn't you. :aok

You are welcome, and nope, I only studied English while it was compulsory :)

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
nose bounce
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 10:47:26 PM »
ummm

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
nose bounce
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 01:07:16 AM »
Nope, no changes to stick "feel" :) in the latest version here.

It might be yer new stick. You might want to make some minor adjustments to whacha got and see what happens.

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
nose bounce
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 12:08:20 AM »
Will do.
Thanks Ren:)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
nose bounce
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 08:58:32 AM »
Originally posted by MajWoody
I have noticed a conciderable increase in nose bounce since 2.08 was released. I also replaced my stick about that time so it may be that it's a stick issue for me.

Has anyone else noticed any difference in the fm regarding nose bounce with the new 2.08 version?

Oh btw
I'm using AKAKs stick scaling.

Oddly enough, since new update I've noticed both increased nose bounce and a sudden loss of "feel" for the edge of the flight envelope -- more stalls, spins, etc.

It may jsut be that I'm lapsing into hamfistedness, but whatever....
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline daMIG

• Copper Member
badboy
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 11:47:09 PM »
Thanks for a very articulate article sir. Replete with properly used Queens English, spell checked as well. Compusory and exacerbate were my favorites.

p.s. thanks for the training in the arena sir!:D

Offline toon

• Nickel Member
nose bounce
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 08:44:02 AM »
badboy musta been teachers pet. was she purty?