Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 471 times)

Offline gobucks

• Zinc Member
Newbie help
« on: July 05, 2006, 11:34:45 AM »
I've got a newbie question.

I have only had the game for a few days so I will apologize in advance if this question seems to basic.

I used to be able to contol vehicles when I first started.  Now every time I enter a vehicle a message pops up that says "Combat Mode 2".

In this mode I am unable to get the vehicle moving even though I can get the engines going and change gears.  I am sure that I have changed something, but after spending a considerable amount of time on the help page I still cannot figure out how to change it back.

Any help on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

GOBUCKS

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:50:29 AM »
Use the AH joystick control panel to bring up the keyboard mapping window. I mapped the Mode 1 (forget how it reads) to my Scroll Lock keyboard button. When I hop into a GV I hit the scroll lock button and I'm good to go.

Let us know if that doesn't work.

Welcome to the war torn skies of Aces High :aok

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
Newbie help
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 11:51:25 AM »
with the new patch you have mode 1 for aircraft and mode 2 for vehicles.. if you can only get the engine started in mode 2 you have to remap all your keys for that mode..

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Newbie help
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:26:49 PM »
I mapped my controls twice, mode 1 is for flight and mode 2 for GV's. Also, there is a box to check and mode 1 or 2 will be selected for you automatically if you wish.  This makes it a no-brainer.  Up a GV and your in mode 2, an airplance and your in mode 1. You don't have to select either.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Newbie help
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:01 PM »
But the part that IS a brainer (is that the opposite of a no-brainer?) is hard to figure out on your own if you're new.

When mapping controls, make sure that you have assigned "roll" and "pitch" for GVs too. Roll and PItch are flight movements, and shouldnt have anythign to do with GVs, but they do in AH2 because both planes and GVs have the joystick in common.

For GVs, make "pitch" moving the GV forward (X axis) and "roll" turning (Y axis). The "move foreard" map commands apply to seat position, not GV movement.

Odds are, those mapping changes will get you going again.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline gobucks

• Zinc Member
Roger that
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 12:55:18 PM »
Thanks to all for the help.

I have re-mapped the appropriate keys and it appears to be fixed.

Thanks again - this forum rocks.  I usually don't get responses so quick on other forums.

I am really starting to like this AH group.

Have a great day.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Roger that
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »
Originally posted by gobucks

....snip....

Thanks again - this forum rocks.  I usually don't get responses so quick on other forums.

I am really starting to like this AH group.

Have a great day.

You're seeing the side effect of community.. For many of us, AH stopped being a game a while ago. Some find themselves addicted, but more find the combination of gameplay quality, variety, and especially a great bunch of guys to play with turns AH into more of a hobby than a game. We love the AH game and the community enough that many of us volunteer to help out.

In fact, most of the maps we play were created by volunteer players just to help the game. All the specialty skins you see were some gamer's labor of love. Guys give up free time to organize special events every week, getting nothing from the company but a thank you.

You're seeing people enjoying their passion.

I used to get a new computer game a couple times a month, because my hobby was playing computer games. Now, my hobby is AH, and I havent bought a new game in a year.

Welcome to the addiction. If you get frustrated, email me or one of the trainers (see the link in my signature line below) and you'll get more help than you can absorb.

If you stick with it -- and it has the hardest learning curve of any game I've EVER seen -- you'll find it immensely rewarding.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad