Author Topic: P38  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
P38
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 04:10:21 PM »
Originally posted by Yoshimbo
I see what your sayin, I must of missunderstood some of the stories and things I've heard, i always took it as the actual plane itself as approaching mach 1.

say, from how high do you think I would have to dive to really get the whole actual plane to really approach mach1? provided the tail stays intact.
Would never happen.  Too much drag, and not enough thrust.  Also keep in mind that when you see pilots reported xxxMPH indicated of this era, that ISA is derived from air pressure.  When you have the transonic shock and turbulent airflow above critical mach, odds are that the IAS readings are being affected by this airflow and are not accurate.

Offline Damionte

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cthunder16
P38
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 10:38:02 PM »
Just bumping into the thread to say thank you to Murd. I've been studying the P38 vids you posted they've been a big help. I still haven't figured out exactly HOW THE HELL you did some of that stuff, even watching it for the umpteenth time, but I'll figure it out eventually. Thanks for keeping us 38 noobs informed.

You too AckAck. :)
Drackson

Allied Commander: AvA / Campaign Series: North Africa / Italy

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
P38
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 06:33:50 PM »
soda is a great foundation to work from but u really cant live by it. one thing that should be in there is that the spit16 breaks very easy wit hi g turns, i noe this and use it to my advantage, i hav seen alot of them crumble up and fall.

p38 is a great plane, i dont fly them but i have fought alot of them. Learn how to use them flaps and u can turn on almost anyone, it has a great gun package good accel pretty durable(u can ride on one engine and still fight) and is still faster then the commeted turn fighters. IMO the views kinda suck but im pretty sure wit time u can work wit them. just when u turn u giv a pretty big flat target to hit. limit that and ur fine.

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
P38
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 04:26:24 AM »
p38s kill me all the time...I fear no plane more than the 38. I can't fly em I can't escape them. They are pure evil!
Lagger

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 05:12:55 PM »
Originally posted by lagger86
p38s kill me all the time...I fear no plane more than the 38. I can't fly em I can't escape them. They are pure evil!

If you're in a plane with a better climb rate, a good tactic to use is a spiral climb.  While the P-38's vertical performance is probably the best in the game, sadly its climb rate isn't as good.   Of course, if the P-38 has more energy than you do, a spiral climb isn't the tactic to use.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P38
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 07:17:27 PM »
I'd say hang with the squads, and pick the brains of the other 38 pilots. If you see any of the names yo see here in the thread that have resonded in the game, ask them to fly with you or tag along. Anybody that truly loves something will be glad to talk about it and give you pointers and appreciate your interest. :):D

Offline bkbandit

• Nickel Member
P38
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 02:30:39 AM »
just take ur time and learn the plane, its a whole different animal then that zero u fly. Its great to see u get out of that thing, IMO p38 has WAAAYYYY more to offer then the zero, u could run jabo and kill gvs like a champ and fight wit the best of them, just dont give up on the plane. i had alot of rough days starting out wit f4u but wit time i learned wat she likes to do, im still havent everything but im no rookie. Pacific fighters are the best.

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/yoshimbo/
P38
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »
This plane is the shiznite!

i find myself outmaneuvering sumplanes like the N1k1, sumthing i nvr expected to do in a p38, dives like a sun of gun, and climbs like a bat out of hell.

though i still die from time to time, I don't die as much as i would have flying sumthing else. that second engine has saved my neck a couple of times.

and that concentrated firepower is sumthin else, all u really seem to need is just a opening to shoot, and sumthing is almost garunteed to rip off.

keep the tips, and stratagies coming.:aok