Author Topic: Idea discussed at the con.  (Read 9893 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Idea discussed at the con.
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 11:29:41 AM »
Alright, ok, I look at it from the flip side as this whole hanger thing is revisited.

If a guy takes a 110 or a B-17 to kill the building, is the building going to stay dead until he lands or something before starting the rebuild count down?

Both scenarios have some good points and some bad points but level bombers don't have "30k lazer guided" bombs anymore yet the down time for hangers is still 15 minutes.  I'm thinking in terms of a carrot to go with the stick.

Wow, this got fast replys.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
I hate the idea.  

Building damage should have nothing to do with pilot life/death.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »
How about making it so level bombers can no longer dive bomb by putting an angle limiter?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 11:36:11 AM »
Originally posted by detch01
HT I think it would be a source of endless whining, although the idea has merit. How about a slight alteration to it? Have the hangar generate smoke for the two minutes and if the attackers (in your scenario) survive have the hangar explode and be destroyed? Kinda simulate a fire with the smoke, etc.

Cheers,

asw
now thats kind of a neat idea... hangar starts smoking, it smokes for 2 minutes, after that it explodes. maybe you can have it so there is a blast radius to the hangar too... anyone too close (say 100 feet or something) dies (like a GV hiding next to it or in it)

that way the smoke shows to attackers the hangar will die for certian, and the enemies know their hangar is about to go down.

if the guy who did the fatal damage dies before the 2 minutes the smoke stops.

the only concern i could see is there have been times where something "should" be smoking on my FE but i don't see the smoke. possible graphic glitch on my PC driver related, or in game connection related, who knows... but it was something that used to happe when i flew a few months ago.

all these guys talking about the "not real death" or whatever by ACK... attacking ground targets with anti-aircraft was almost suicide in WWII. we play a game and have it really easy from what i have read and seen in gun footage. the "sheep sniper" of hundreds of guns shooting at you from the ground was quite a legitmate threat in real life.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 11:40:21 AM by Mustaine »
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 11:39:13 AM »
Bad idea. It might prevent the dweebs from doing what they do, but it would also penalize a lot of legit folks for being shot down over the target.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 11:40:15 AM »
why not have it once it is dead it dont come up unless resupplied,if the base is then captureed  the ones who capture it  have to resupply it to bring it back up.
  that way  they still have to work togeather  and would stop some of the porking everyone moans about.

as for the idea at the top  i dont like it
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Birddogg

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:14 AM »
How about just allowing jeeps to repair buildings?

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »
Originally posted by detch01
HT I think it would be a source of endless whining, although the idea has merit. How about a slight alteration to it? Have the hangar generate smoke for the two minutes and if the attackers (in your scenario) survive have the hangar explode and be destroyed? Kinda simulate a fire with the smoke, etc.

There is one problem with this - the landgrabbers that like to take bases.

If there is a cap, goon comes in, VH pops up, planes take it down... GV's will be able to up and break the cap in those 2 mins, causing mass high pitched whining and sending the worlds dog population into pandemonium.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:32 AM »
If this idea is applied to field ack then almost no one will be willing to strafe it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 11:41:58 AM »
If used strictly for the dive bombing buffs and the pork and augerer's I'd be for it.

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 11:42:37 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
...but it would also penalize a lot of legit folks for being shot down over the target.
if you are shot so quickly over target wouldnt you say your SA was not good enough ad all you were doing was "suicide porking" no care for the consequences?
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 11:45:49 AM »
If you prang into the ground, the target, get killed by your own bomb blast, or bail out in the 2 min time frame from ord release - no damage apllied to the object - ESPECIALLY if it's a fairly undamaged craft your in.

I could live with that, but if I'd taken hits, or was seriously damaged and still got bombs off and then pranged in...I'd still like the damage apllied.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »
I realize there is a problem, but truthfully, this has too much of a "powerup balloon" or Mario Bros feel to it. I`d hate to see the game go in that direction.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2006, 11:50:58 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
How about making it so level bombers can no longer dive bomb by putting an angle limiter?

ack-ack

Abso-friggin-lutely!!!:aok
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Strykar1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »
Although Im still somewhat new. Im going throw my 2 cents in.

I personally like the Idea, and hate it at the same time. Im not going to say anything that really hasn't been said before. Although It really wouldnt be Fair to those buff pilots who spend many minutes climbing up to at least 10k feet, Lining them selves up to make a drop. And making that crucial decision of Drop my Bombs or Defend myself against the two enemy fighters coming at me.

So they end up dropping the bombs make a great run only to have been shot down right right away or even soon after and make all that time spent in the air Not worth a single thing??

I dont mind dieing not in the least. I dont mind cutting infront of a enemy who I know will most likely defeat me just so a fellow Bish may have that chance to fullfill his mission or even make his way back to base. but to spend all that time on a strategic bombing run and make a successful attack but not then all of a sudden I find out it was all for nothing because I was shot down within seconds... Minutes of my bombs dropping?? I really dont like that side of it.

If there was a way... Which I doubt there is to limit it crashes.... or even somehow making it so that it just takes a little more punch to knock down the hangers and or any other strat on base, So that the main concern of the comunity in general is taken care of. Which tend to be those who either Dive bomb (Limit on Bomber Alt drops. Even if it is as low as 1000 feet for Formation bombers) or a single attack plane doesnt manage to take out those strats...

Or even better..... Do what you thought of at the con. (listened to the POD CAST) and give more Feild Ack to the Bases. Make it so those who actually do try to roll through a base and knock out the strats actually have to work for it.

My apolligies if this all sounded like a repeat, which I know it is. But that is just my thought on idea. How ever it does work out. People will be upset and people will be happy.