Author Topic: israel in war  (Read 5888 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
israel in war
« Reply #270 on: July 25, 2006, 09:11:10 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
P.S. Norway has not had troops in UNIFIL since 99, and its not like they got rich from beeing there. At best they would prolly make 80-90.000 USD a year (current exchange values) That is only slighty more than I made my last year in the Navy (and I was at home)

That incident I talked about was in 1999 or 2000 around the time Israel widrew from S. Lebanon. Don't remember if before or after.

Do I read that right? 90k USD a year ?! :eek:
That's about what I make - in Shekels gawd damit... No wonder they were driving Porches and spending so much money in Haifa and northern Israel pubs.
When I was in the army, for 3 years I got about 80 USD a month to buy waffels in the Cantine. I want my 3 years back or 270,000 USD :mad:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:15:11 AM by bozon »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
israel in war
« Reply #271 on: July 25, 2006, 09:26:56 AM »
I don't know if its been covered here or not, but it's pretty clear that Israel is acting within the articles of the Geneva Convention and Rules of War,  in attacking military objectives that are situated among human shields, so long as certain requirements are met, such as giving civilians advance notice.   See Part 2, in link below

Rules of War

There is a concept floated recently by Attorney Alan Derschowitz, with whom I agree on almost nothing, concerning differing degrees of "civilianness" - a totally innocent person on one extreame, a person with some level of complicity in the middle, and on the other extreme, a person who is non-military, but nevertheless is complicit in hostile acts against the enemy.   I think it fits the situation face by Israel very well.

Israel will be the first to do a nuclear strike, and there will be mulitiple targets.   Most of the world wouldn't mind if Israel goes down, so long as it goes down quietly, without using nukes.  Aint gonna happen.  So Israel gets backed up against the wall, and the world refuses to help.  It is easy to predict what WILL happen.

Its ironic that the Europeans and others are taking pot shots at Israel, but none of lthem are willilng to step up to the plate to contribute to a buffer force in Lebenon, USA and Britain included, though for understandable reasons.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
israel in war
« Reply #272 on: July 25, 2006, 09:34:12 AM »
Originally posted by bozon
That incident I talked about was in 1999 or 2000 around the time Israel widrew from S. Lebanon. Don't remember if before or after.

Do I read that right? 90k USD a year ?! :eek:
That's about what I make - in Shekels gawd damit... No wonder they were driving Porches and spending so much money in Haifa and northern Israel pubs.
When I was in the army, for 3 years I got about 80 USD a month to buy waffels in the Cantine. I want my 3 years back or 270,000 USD :mad:

Regular conscripts that serves only at home for their 12-18 moth mandatory service got/get around 20$ per day. Those that go abroad are done with their mandatory service and are employed by the miltary. They get an average salary and a risk add-on if they are abroad in some hot spot. We are a high-cost country so 80-90k $ a year is not that much. The dollar is also fairly cheap vs our currency so you cant really compare... the point is that if they did it for the money there would be safer ways of getting that at home.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
israel in war
« Reply #273 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:44 AM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
I don't know if its been covered here or not, but it's pretty clear that Israel is acting within the articles of the Geneva Convention and Rules of War,  in attacking military objectives that are situated among human shields, so long as certain requirements are met, such as giving civilians advance notice.   See Part 2, in link below

Rules of War

There is a concept floated recently by Attorney Alan Derschowitz, with whom I agree on almost nothing, concerning differing degrees of "civilianness" - a totally innocent person on one extreame, a person with some level of complicity in the middle, and on the other extreme, a person who is non-military, but nevertheless is complicit in hostile acts against the enemy.   I think it fits the situation face by Israel very well.

Israel will be the first to do a nuclear strike, and there will be mulitiple targets.   Most of the world wouldn't mind if Israel goes down, so long as it goes down quietly, without using nukes.  Aint gonna happen.  So Israel gets backed up against the wall, and the world refuses to help.  It is easy to predict what WILL happen.

Its ironic that the Europeans and others are taking pot shots at Israel, but none of lthem are willilng to step up to the plate to contribute to a buffer force in Lebenon, USA and Britain included, though for understandable reasons.

Who do you think would be Israels targets for those nukes?

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
israel in war
« Reply #274 on: July 25, 2006, 09:47:06 AM »
well, just based on my experience at playing chess  :rolleyes:  I would guess Iran, if Israel perceives that Iran is getting very close to making a nuclear weapon.  Their nuclear facilities are spread out all over the country... so it could involve multiple tactical nukes.  Beyond that, who knows?
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century